LUG

MK8 Golf - Purchase Yes/No/Maybe

MK8 Purchase Yes/No/Maybe  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently intend to purchase a MK8 Golf?

• Yes, GTi/R/Clubsport or other Performance model.
    • Yes, Baseline or R-Line Model.
    • Undecided due to styling.
    • Undecided due to price.
    • No, due to styling.
    • No, due to price.

So, with the current details available to us, what are your current thoughts or intentions towards purchasing a MK8 Golf?

Are you a dead cert to pick up a model at some point, undecided or disappointed on whats on offer?

It would be good to see what the current general consensus is.

This should be interesting if enough people vote. Perhaps VW should've considered a poll like this when the mk8 was first revealed, give them some time to go back to the drawing board if required! 

I mean the mk8 has been such a long time coming... GTA 6 in video games is following suit. Big long gap following a seriously successful release. 

I personally think Volkswagen have lost the plot with the MK8 R.

it looks like it will be pushed in to the Premium car sector.

putting a Golf there is just plain crazy.

Premium car pricing for family segment manufacturers 2.0 hatchback.

Would consider the mk 8 if there was a performance model available as a three door, but seems the three door Golf as gone forever. Shame  ☹️ 

I'm not immediately grabbed with the the Mk8.  I'm happy with my 3dr 7.5R and spec. Only on 20k miles.  

Perhaps, if i decide i want some extra oomph have a remap once the 5yr warranty nears the end....

or wait until there is something i really do want!

Unless there's some crazy new car discounts or some new information around the mk8!

When I purchased my Golf R 7.5 last year I was aware the 8 was right around the corner and that I'd probably want to upgrade to it, however the styling of the interior and some of the exterior is terrible in my opinion and I don't have any urge to upgrade.

The interior screens and bezels look so cheap and tacky. No manual controls for the heating. I honestly thought the leaked pictures and the press release photo's we saw early on were unfinished or prototype models, so they could test the hardware. I really did expect to see a much more polished and stylish interior especially for the expected price.

I cant say 100% I won't purchase a mk8 down the line, but unless there is a huge refresh or the performance models get a great upgrade in styling its looking unlikely, plus the price on top!

I think they'd need to throw in free bucket seats for me to put up with that dash 😂 hopefully VW have a few tricks up their sleeve but I honestly think VW have seriously lost sight of what customers want and the Golf's heritage. 

You never know opinions and things change, but currently its not looking great.

An early Purchase by me is very unlikely.  My R is 2019, so not before age 3 and more likely age 5. 
The R, as yet unseen, but signs are not great after the New GTI looks and interior / dash/ touchscreen reliance. 
An R Wagon not beyond the realms of possibility, if it comes, but not any time soon,  maybe even Mk8.5.

I’ll keep an open mind, and will look hard for any “sweet spots” in the VAG lineup of offerings. (sort of like we had with  the value from Vrs Octavia, Leon Cupra and ST Cupra)  But an excellent value Performance package is a prerequisite.  BMW and MB also considered, maybe slightly used.   But rubbish won’t lever me from where I am now. 

I love my tuned Mk 7 R....I'm not totally sold on the Mk 8 Golf.....R or otherwise.....Some things I like...some I don't.....if if I'm totally honest after I'm done with my car, I will probably buy a 2018 Audi RS3.....:ph34r:....(if I can afford one)....:)

My R will be 5 in Sept so a change in the not too distant future is inevitable.  I normally keep cars 3 years, 4 years max but this car is very special.  What will replace it?  I like performance Golfs and am quite happy once I’ve found a car that delivers on all fronts, and since 2005, the performance Golfs (GTI and Rs) have done just that.  So the mk8 R is certainly top of my radar.  But at this time, I have to tick the “undecided due to styling” box in this poll.  Until I see the finished article, I can’t commit.  Latest photos of the GTI last week/this week are an improvement on what’s been seen before, and I hope the same is true of the R, but (lots of buts) there is something about the body design that is off.  Then there’s the buttonless tech but most of the competition will be similar in that respect.  If there were a box that combined “undecided due to styling” and “undecided due to price” then I’d likely tick that, as there’s no doubt the price of the 8R with a few choice options will be eye watering for a family hatchback.  There’s a lot of other real competition out there.  So atm I simply don’t know. 

@Booth11 trying to minimise the poll options was giving me a headache, so many variables to consider but I left it at two version of Yes, two versions of No and 2 of Undecided based on what I think most will consider.

I'm a maybe down the line if a refresh or the R makes big changes to the interior and exterior. Im a huge fan of VW and Golf's would love to stick with the brand and model.

I personally think the exterior can be resolved easily by VW during a refresh (8.5) or the R having an aggressive bodykit at launch. I also think the same can be said of the interior display unit screens which I think look like cheap Android tablets.

I don't mind going touch screen although I'd always want manual control of the heating, but after sitting in a MK8 the touchscreen doesn't feel natural to use left handed and it feels like a stretch to use, especially when driving I'd imagine.

Personally with the car's expected price to be very high and with a few optional extras on top the 40K bracket will be smashed and not only is that a LOT for a Golf, it means you get the higher Car Tax to pay also. So it'll be a long way off me having one.

39 minutes ago, LUG said:

@Booth11 trying to minimise the poll options was giving me a headache, so many variables to consider but I left it at two version of Yes, two versions of No and 2 of Undecided based on what I think most will consider.

I'm a maybe down the line if a refresh or the R makes big changes to the interior and exterior. Im a huge fan of VW and Golf's would love to stick with the brand and model.

I personally think the exterior can be resolved easily by VW during a refresh (8.5) or the R having an aggressive bodykit at launch. I also think the same can be said of the interior display unit screens which I think look like cheap Android tablets.

I don't mind going touch screen although I'd always want manual control of the heating, but after sitting in a MK8 the touchscreen doesn't feel natural to use left handed and it feels like a stretch to use, especially when driving I'd imagine.

Personally with the car's expected price to be very high and with a few optional extras on top the 40K bracket will be smashed and not only is that a LOT for a Golf, it means you get the higher Car Tax to pay also. So it'll be a long way off me having one.

It wasn’t a criticism of the poll options LUG, it’s a good poll and thread, it’s just that my undecidedness crosses more than one area.  

The 8R facelift is a consideration to be factored in.  IF I end up getting an 8R I’d have to think carefully about when to get it and look to the future.  I’ve never been one to get a first off the line of a new model.  I waited before ordering a 7R actually buying an end of model run mk6 GTI, deciding I’d rather have that and wait for any mk7 teething issues to be addressed before changing. Even when the 7R came out following the other performance models I waited a bit but mainly for VW to get Dynaudio in the R.  So I’ve always avoided getting the earliest of a new model.  However if the mk7 R has a facelift after 3 years as is the VW approach now, then I might consider getting an early 8R with a view to changing over to the facelift when that gets released. It’s too long for me to keep hold of my current R until a facelift 8R appears.  Still it might all be a moot point if the reality of the 8R is unpalatable and the cost too high for what it is, either or both.  

I'd vote but there's no option for the touchscreen madness, soz.

Every now and then I get a burst of enthusiasm for the mk8 but then I remember it's not a looker. Then I remember it would be a strain to pootle around in it for a few months before I can take it to Unicorn and get it whacked back up to 400 lbft like my old mk7. But the clincher is that the touchscreen interface is a humungous line in the sand for me. Fortunately I don't do many miles in my 2014 mk7 so I'm out.

As things stand I don't think I'll ever buy a Golf again sadly. I've loved my mk6 and 7. I'm not averse to an electric car, I'll get one eventually, I'll see how the VW offerings pan out before thinking any more.

I usually keep my cars a long time. I owned my mk1 Focus RS for 13 years, as there was nothing that made me want a change in all those years until the Mk7 R. The Mk8 at the moment is not swaying me out of mine. Maybe what ever comes after the Mk8.