Charles M

18" tyre review.

4 hours ago, Charles M said:

Might be of interest to some.....

Deffo. Thanks, Charlie. 

As the Presenter says it will interest “the geeky automotive enthusiast”

so that most of the people on here then!😂

good watch that, I have had a set of the PS4's in 18 inch and they wore surprisingly quickly, Based on his review I would go with the Contis next.. 

15 hours ago, Djs2394 said:

good watch that, I have had a set of the PS4's in 18 inch and they wore surprisingly quickly, Based on his review I would go with the Contis next.. 

Interesting - how long did they last?

13 minutes ago, Hawker1986 said:

Interesting - how long did they last?

Had them on a Alfa Romeo Brera V6, the fronts lasted about 18k miles.... the rears last a lot longer as you'd expect. I changed for some Avon ZV7's, they lasted almost twice as long as the Michelins on the front. I was really impressed with the Avons, they're a mid range tyre but they felt just as good as the PS4's in the dry for grip... The PS4 was miles ahead in the wet however.

Make of that what you will but the PS4's would be my last choice of tyre after that experience .

16 hours ago, Djs2394 said:

No matter how bad the Michelin’s wear I can almost guarantee that the Conti’s will wear faster.  SC Conti’s have a reputation for poor wear rates.  If my wife can get down to 3mm in 10k miles, on SC5’s then they must be made of cheese based silica 

29 minutes ago, Penguin said:

No matter how bad the Michelin’s wear I can almost guarantee that the Conti’s will wear faster.  SC Conti’s have a reputation for poor wear rates.  If my wife can get down to 3mm in 10k miles, on SC5’s then they must be made of cheese based silica 

With you on that.  I got 13k miles out of the original factory fitted Conti SC 5Ps on my R before they were swapped out for Michelin PS4S (also got 12k miles out of two sets of 5Ps on gti before the R), but the PS4S are now on 19k miles and just at 4mm so nearing changing in the near future, but have performed significantly better in terms of wear (and pretty much everything else).  Contis are good tyres but they do wear quicker than Michelins ime.   

My experience of conti SCs was that they wore very fast and that was just on my old bog standard civic. I may give the goodyear's a go when the time comes based on his review...and the fact that a full set of 4 is likely to be £220 at costco on one of their offers. Very cheap.