Looks like I will get my Golf R next week.... now I had a quote of £750 on compare the market for insurance which is reasonable for me i'm 26 years old and have 5 years NCB.

My current insurer is flux direct so I gave them a quote and the best they could offer me was £1100. Is it worth me ringing Adrian Flux for a quote? I believe flux direct is a subsidiary company to Adrian Flux and so likely has the same underwriters/prices...

Anyone got any advice where I might get a better quote before I settle for £750,,,

Cheers,

Dan

Pretty pointless asking questions on insurance quotes.

Everyone is different; ages, postcodes, ncb, insured value, on drive / road / garaged.

I only pay around £250, but in late 50s and max ncb. 

750 for mid 20s doesn’t sound to bad, but no idea what is right... 

If it’s with a company you are happy with, it sounds ok.  It only sounds a lot of money when you say per year.

26 and insuring a Golf R for under £15 per week, somehow sounds better.
Remember , the cheapest quote may not be the best cover provided.  You don’t want to find this out when making a claim.

If you’re hell bent on a decent search try Spending some time on the Comparison websites eg GoCompare, Comparethemarket.....Moneysupermarket, but also the bigger companies like Directline, Aviva, Morethan, Admiral, Churchill. Hastings & LV.

There may even be bargains to be had from accompanying freebies/ discounted breakdown cover,  or double- policy discounts (Home and car Insurance).   Watch out for the add Ons which, if chosen, bump the Premium price up.

Good luck. 

9 hours ago, Shug said:

Pretty pointless asking questions on insurance quotes.

Everyone is different; ages, postcodes, ncb, insured value, on drive / road / garaged.

I only pay around £250, but in late 50s and max ncb. 

750 for mid 20s doesn’t sound to bad, but no idea what is right... 

8 hours ago, NRW said:

If it’s with a company you are happy with, it sounds ok.  It only sounds a lot of money when you say per year.

26 and insuring a Golf R for under £15 per week, somehow sounds better.
Remember , the cheapest quote may not be the best cover provided.  You don’t want to find this out when making a claim.

If you’re hell bent on a decent search try Spending some time on the Comparison websites eg GoCompare, Comparethemarket.....Moneysupermarket, but also the bigger companies like Directline, Aviva, Morethan, Admiral, Churchill. Hastings & LV.

There may even be bargains to be had from accompanying freebies/ discounted breakdown cover,  or double- policy discounts (Home and car Insurance).   Watch out for the add Ons which, if chosen, bump the Premium price up.

Good luck. 

2 hours ago, Clarkie48 said:

I usually search on moneysupermarket come renewal time,then phone my current insurers who are Chris Knott who has matched the lowest quote every time.

Cheers for your replies, I tried Admiral as id seen some members mention they're with them, their multicar policy seems great, My partner saved £80 for next year and they quoted £525 for mine which is about £200 cheaper per year then any other quote ive had!

Happy days!

11 minutes ago, Djs2394 said:

Cheers for your replies, I tried Admiral as id seen some members mention they're with them, their multicar policy seems great, My partner saved £80 for next year and they quoted £525 for mine which is about £200 cheaper per year then any other quote ive had!

Happy days!

That's a great quote, where are you located? 

Just now, OOV said:

That's a great quote, where are you located? 

South Kent, on the coast about 10 miles from Ashford, 25 miles from Cantebury.

6 minutes ago, Djs2394 said:

South Kent, on the coast about 10 miles from Ashford, 25 miles from Cantebury.

2 years ago when I just got mine, age 33, I paid just over £1000 with 9 years NCB. But I had just moved from Cambridge to Berkshire. When I bought my R I had been living in Berkshire 3 weeks and they used it against me citing that I wasn't familiar with the roads. 

8 minutes ago, OOV said:

2 years ago when I just got mine, age 33, I paid just over £1000 with 9 years NCB. But I had just moved from Cambridge to Berkshire. When I bought my R I had been living in Berkshire 3 weeks and they used it against me citing that I wasn't familiar with the roads. 

Hmm that does seem like a bit of a cop out from the insurance company I must say!

10 minutes ago, Djs2394 said:

Hmm that does seem like a bit of a cop out from the insurance company I must say!

Yeah it does, but I did see their point after the fact, because as time went on I was really noticing that I WAS unfamiliar with the roads. 2018 was a whirlwind... 

But it still felt like extortion. 

Incidentally it's 2 years exactly today 😁

IMG_20200524_092034.jpg

4 minutes ago, OOV said:

Yeah it does, but I did see their point after the fact, because as time went on I was really noticing that I WAS unfamiliar with the roads. 2018 was a whirlwind... 

But it still felt like extortion. 

Incidentally it's 2 years exactly today 😁

IMG_20200524_092034.jpg

Happy 2 years of ownership!

58 minutes ago, OOV said:

Strange, as they didn’t ask where you were planning on driving. You could have argued that you visited there often prior to moving and were more fimilar with the roads there than where you used to live, so a discount should be applied...

12 minutes ago, Shug said:

Strange, as they didn’t ask where you were planning on driving. You could have argued that you visited there often prior to moving and were more fimilar with the roads there than where you used to live, so a discount should be applied...

But that would've been lying! This year I was like... "I am familiar with the roads around here, but that's just by the by 😁"

Also its difficult to argue that when the location is almost 3 hours away from where I used to live. 

11 minutes ago, OOV said:

But that would've been lying! This year I was like... "I am familiar with the roads around here, but that's just by the by 😁"

Also its difficult to argue that when the location is almost 3 hours away from where I used to live. 

Sums insurers up.

Same as Admiral penalise for speed awareness courses, whereas if you’ve done one you will be better educated and more awa3 for a while at least. It’s formal awareness training, so should give a discount. 

I had a similar discussion last year when my insurer tried to penalise me as I’d been knocked off my bike whilst stationary in traffic. Different class of insurance, stationary, and yet that makes me a worse driver in my car. Not like they will credit car history if you buy a bike...

1 minute ago, Shug said:

I had a similar discussion last year when my insurer tried to penalise me as I’d been knocked off my bike whilst stationary in traffic. Different class of insurance, stationary, and yet that makes me a worse driver.

Diverting a little sorry, apologies for the hi jak.  I use a wheelchair to get about.  We’ve all probably been nearly mowed down when out and about by Mobility Scooter users on the pavements?  Frequently, even in the big shopping centres where Shopmobility schemes  hand these out to the unfamiliar.😱

Mindful of this, when I purchased a Power wheelchair, 5 years ago,  for extended out door use (dog walking) I took out Insurance  - for the Powerchair, breakdown, repair, recovery...not kidding...and Public Liability up to £2m.   Just in case I ever collide with a Cyclist avoiding traffic cues maybe. Or drunk not looking where they stagger.   (This is NOT mandatory for powered scooters/ wheelchairs with speeds up to 6 km/h.)
It Costs more to Insure my Powerchair annually than what I can obtain R insurance cover for. 😂😂 Have to laugh, if I’m considered a bigger risk in a Powerchair than a Golf R!