Sign in to follow this  
Djs2394

Bike racks...

Guys,

Im a keen road cyclist and so its important I have means of driving my bike to events etc... this wasnt an issue in the old car as id knock the rear seats down, front wheel off the bike and stuff it all in the boot...

With the R coming as early as next week I need a way of transporting my bike with damage... thats not damage to interior and no paint work damage ...

Any ideas? 

Cheers

Old bed sheet and pipe lagging always served me well when driving to races. You can also buy  a product called a ‘bike Johnny’ which wraps around the chain/drivetrain to protect from oil stains etc. 

I’d defo recommend a rear bumper protector too. Stray pedals hurt! 

Bike racks are ok but after a cold wet race when you can barely get your shoes off, getting your bike secured on the roof can be a mission.  We had a really bad midweek race at Rockingham  a few years ago, with hail and very cold conditions. It was awful, even for a 1hr circuit race. My mate put his bike on the roof rack and drove home. First T junction he hit his brakes and watched his new £3k Canyon fly off the roof and get written off. In his haste to get into the warmth of his car, he forgot to secure the bike. 

I ended up only using mine when taking the bike on holidays. 

10 minutes ago, Penguin said:

Old bed sheet and pipe lagging always served me well when driving to races. You can also buy  a product called a ‘bike Johnny’ which wraps around the chain/drivetrain to protect from oil stains etc. 

I’d defo recommend a rear bumper protector too. Stray pedals hurt! 

Bike racks are ok but after a cold wet race when you can barely get your shoes off, getting your bike secured on the roof can be a mission.  We had a really bad midweek race at Rockingham  a few years ago, with hail and very cold conditions. It was awful, even for a 1hr circuit race. My mate put his bike on the roof rack and drove home. First T junction he hit his brakes and watched his new £3k Canyon fly off the roof and get written off. In his haste to get into the warmth of his car, he forgot to secure the bike. 

I ended up only using mine when taking the bike on holidays. 

Penguin thanks for your reply, you have reminded me of a product I saw a little while ago...

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Velosock/Silverbird-Pro-Indoor-Bike-Cover/H4HN

Just hope the cover is a decent thickness, agree roof racks do seem a lot of faff I also have a Canyon worth a few bob and it would break my heart to watch it slide off the roof to its death...

@Djs2394 I have a couple of bootliners from previous cars, I tend to use one of these when we have bikes in the back.

i also use an old double quilt covers or a rubber mat between them.

the bootliners are great as can just throw them over line and pressure wash them, which is needed if get too much blood n stuff on them.

obviously liners come in a huge number of prices, if just for occasional use I would checkout Amazon, or if happy to pay more, then hatchbag, rhino etc are good.

A mate has a 'system' by Safe Bag, but I don't think the do a setup for the Golf R.

So long as you use adequate protection for both car interior and for the bike itself (padding, boot bag, etc...) then pretty much same as you had in your previous car.  The  rear seats fold nice and flat, and front wheel off, there’s plenty of space for a bike and all the associated paraphernalia. Had bikes in the back of my R hatch many times and all good.  

I usually put mine in the boot if it’s just me, but also have roof bars and bike carriers if two or more. I have recently purchased a full boot liner from Custom Covers - you can find them on eBay. Great boot liner for taking the dogs and also carrying the bike. Also, as said, add a bumper protector, RGM do an ABS plastic cover for the Golf and again they have been a god send on my previous and current Golf.

https://www.ukcustomcovers.com/custom-boot-liners/volkswagen

https://rgmautomotive.co.uk/search/?make=&model=359&part_number=