Sign in to follow this  
camelsac2002

Hand waxing.

1 hour ago, camelsac2002 said:

I don't have a DA machine so looking for a suitable wax that's easy to apply and buff off by hand please! If anyone has any tips on buying/using a DA machine, I'm open to suggestions on that too! Cheers folks!

Just can’t keep a good man down, Camelsac!  Back to Waxing your R already. Amazing. There’ll be no stopping you with a Polishing machine - Detail Therapy!👍👏

1 hour ago, camelsac2002 said:

I don't have a DA machine so looking for a suitable wax that's easy to apply and buff off by hand please! If anyone has any tips on buying/using a DA machine, I'm open to suggestions on that too! Cheers folks!

Swisvax Best Of Show is the easiest wax I have used,but it’s not cheap.Also don’t attempt it on a baking hot day.

2 hours ago, camelsac2002 said:

Depends what your idea of easy to apply and buff off is really, lol.  What some find a bind, others find a cinch!   😁   I’ve found most waxes I’ve tried over the years pretty ok on both counts, though some Collinite waxes take a bit more effort, and need to be at least at room temp, or even warmed up a bit to aid application, and not left on too long (but the latter is true of most waxes).   IME, Swissvax waxes are by far the easiest waxes to apply. I’ve used four different waxes of theirs now, including a hybrid one, and all are a dream to apply and buff off.  The downside (for some) is the high price tag.  But for applying and buffing off, I doubt there’s an easier wax out there.  Same goes for their QD, such as Lotospeed which is a breeze to work with.  

Away from Swissvax, and other paste/hard waxes, more generally, I’ve found liquid waxes are the easiest of the bunch for ease of application and removal, but the trade-off tends to be they have less durability and lifespan.  And some can be lacking in depth and finish.  But there are some that make for great summer waxes.  Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax I love, and soo easy to use.  There’s many more out there so worth doing a bit of research. 

Also don’t discount nano or polymer sealants which can also be easy to apply. Sonax BSD is a good product if a little grabby used neat.  C2V3 easy to apply and buff off too. But for me, neither measure up to a good wax aesthetically.  Gyeon Wetcoat is a great fast application product, I was pleasantly surprised by that. 

Trouble is there’s too much choice!  

As for a DA, there’s a few threads on that so have a browse, but my advice is to look at something like a DAS6 Pro as a beginner DA.  One which will take standard size pads and smaller spot pads, as there’s many areas on the Golf (and other cars) that really need to be tackled with spot pads.  The throw of machines that take both size backing plates is smaller at 8” compared to machines with 15” or 21” throw, but as a first DA they really re the most versatile and best to start out with. You can always sell later if wanting to trade up to a bigger throw machine.  Look at the kits that are available on good detailing websites as they’ll give you the DA and pad and polish basics you need to get going. There’s a few choices of machines paired with reputable pad and polishers.