Rwagon

Splutter after kick down but before acceleration

Hi, 

As above really. 

Today, I was in normal mode, sat behind a lorry on the motorway. Seen a gap open behind me so I put the gearbox in S and planted it. 

The car kicked down as normal but then done a strange splutter which completely cut the power and it made a DSG fart noise before it then took off. 

I thought I may have confused the gearbox by going into S then going straight to the kick down so I put the car in S, let it get back up to 7th and hit the kick down again and the same happened. Tried it in different gears so say 5th to kick down and still happened.

Done the same in normal mode and it kicked down and went as it should. Also tried it in different drive modes and no change. It seems to be the gearbox in S that causes it as in race, eco or normal it still does it as long as the gearbox is in S.

Deffo not right, as it completely cuts the power for about half a second once it has changed down the gears. 

Went to the shop for about an hour, tried it on the way home and same again. Splutter/stall/fart noise before it gets up and goes. 

Any one have any ideas? FWIW it's a 67plate 7.5 with 23k on it. Doesn't get driven hard very often. 

Thanks in advance. 

I get this now and then in S mode, I think the car kicks down, then decides it's dropped too many gears then changes up straight away which is the weird pause and dsg fart. That's what i put it down to.

I get it too very occasionally if ever using S mode and hitting the kickdown switch for joining from a slip road at speed.  It’s been discussed a few times in the past and isn’t totally uncommon. 

Cheers guys. 

Yeah I have just seen some of the threads about it. I wrote my post in haste as it has been bugging me since it happened but I've been so busy I haven't had the chance to look. 

From what I experienced today and what I have read it seems to be speed related as opposed to gear related. in the sense that I could be in 7th or 5th at 50mph and the kick down wants me to get 2nd but the road speed is too quick for 2nd so it panics, does a fart, changes up and then gets moving. I will try tomorrow hitting the kickdown from a higher speed so it doesn't try and get 2nd. 

Im guessing it doesn't happen in D because it doesn't try to drop as many gears as it does in S. Also, in D is seems to 'roll' into the lower gear and go rather than 'slam' into a lower gear in S.

I don't understand why drivers use kickdown in modern sports autos.

i the various sports autos I have owned or driven (DSG and ZF sports), I never really use kickdown.

to me it's a throwback to the non sports box type of automatic.

i tend to drive me car (even in auto) as I would a manual and manually make a gear change (dropping the number required for situation), then just drive as normal.

as @SpursMadDave says, just use the paddles.

you can use them in auto and manual.

to me kickdown is and always be panic mode for the box.

4 hours ago, Gavras said:

i the various sports autos I have owned or driven (DSG and ZF sports), I never really use kickdown.

i tend to drive me car (even in auto) as I would a manual and manually make a gear change (dropping the number required for situation), then just drive as normal.

An occasional perverse desire.  😉 If not trundling round the usually congested city ring road etc, on the right roads, I use paddles in Sport manual the majority of the time (reason I upgraded the paddle shifters), or if in auto, use paddles to override when it suits, but very occasionally S kickdown provides a bit of throwback fun for me. When I got my first ever DSG (a mk5 GTI) I thought kickdown was cool for a few weeks then realised it was a hindrance more than a help and trained my right foot to stop short of that switch, but every now and then there’s a bit of road/scenario where it’s actually quite useful and fun and nostalgic.  One of the joys of DSG is having the ability to mix it up.  

It’s a bit like those R drivers who want the soundaktor on full shaking the whole cabin to make it feel racier.    I cant cope with that, but the odd kickdown (and it’s sometime brain fart reaction) I can handle. 😂

8 hours ago, Rwagon said:

Hi, 

As above really. 

Today, I was in normal mode, sat behind a lorry on the motorway. Seen a gap open behind me so I put the gearbox in S and planted it. 

The car kicked down as normal but then done a strange splutter which completely cut the power and it made a DSG fart noise before it then took off. 

I thought I may have confused the gearbox by going into S then going straight to the kick down so I put the car in S, let it get back up to 7th and hit the kick down again and the same happened. Tried it in different gears so say 5th to kick down and still happened.

Done the same in normal mode and it kicked down and went as it should. Also tried it in different drive modes and no change. It seems to be the gearbox in S that causes it as in race, eco or normal it still does it as long as the gearbox is in S.

Deffo not right, as it completely cuts the power for about half a second once it has changed down the gears. 

Went to the shop for about an hour, tried it on the way home and same again. Splutter/stall/fart noise before it gets up and goes. 

Any one have any ideas? FWIW it's a 67plate 7.5 with 23k on it. Doesn't get driven hard very often. 

Thanks in advance. 

Because I drive mostly in manual mode...I just floor the throttle and change down manually....instant acceleration....it's pretty brutal too after my latest tune...:smiley:

Never use kick down personally....:)

8 hours ago, Rwagon said:

Cheers guys. 

Yeah I have just seen some of the threads about it. I wrote my post in haste as it has been bugging me since it happened but I've been so busy I haven't had the chance to look. 

From what I experienced today and what I have read it seems to be speed related as opposed to gear related. in the sense that I could be in 7th or 5th at 50mph and the kick down wants me to get 2nd but the road speed is too quick for 2nd so it panics, does a fart, changes up and then gets moving. I will try tomorrow hitting the kickdown from a higher speed so it doesn't try and get 2nd. 

Im guessing it doesn't happen in D because it doesn't try to drop as many gears as it does in S. Also, in D is seems to 'roll' into the lower gear and go rather than 'slam' into a lower gear in S.

You might be onto something about it being speed related. There’s one particular bit of road (where a slip road joins a fast main road) where I use S auto and kickdown. 99% of the time it does just what is expected but the other 1% it gets confused and get the pause then scalded cat reaction. My speed at the point of approach and joining is largely consistent each time but sometimes it might differ depending on traffic, so I think that speed is related to it. 

4 hours ago, Booth11 said:

An occasional perverse desire.  😉 I use paddles in Sport manual the majority of the time (reason I upgraded the paddle shifters), or if in auto, use paddles to override when it suits, but very occasionally S and kickdown provides a bit of throwback fun for me. When I got my first ever DSG (a mk5 GTI) I thought kickdown was cool for a few weeks then realised it was a hindrance more than a help and trained my right foot to stop short of that switch, but every now and then there’s a bit of road/scenario where it’s actually quite useful and fun and nostalgic.  One of the joys of DSG is having the ability to mix it up.  

It’s a bit like those R drivers who want the soundaktor on full shaking the whole cabin to make it feel racier.    I cant cope with that, but the odd kickdown (and it’s sometime brain fart reaction) I can handle. 😂

Oh I understand the legacy feeling of it.

thinking on the history side of things.

kickdown was really there for getting the to move from the Overdrive (OD) gear to the kickdown gear (about 3rd), this was the only quick way to do it as the auto gear leaver took two people to move lol.

Also one of commonest problems with hesitant or intermittent problems with kickdown, was invariably down to the kickdown cable, stretched, gunned up, fouled etc.

kickdown is a bit like engaging light speed on a starship, there is a pause before those flashing lines appear and sometimes a backfire lol.

1 hour ago, Gavras said:

I don’t understand why people use the paddles when just chilling on the motorway. 
I only use the paddles when I’m having a play or want to make a bit of noise at slow speeds when I’m on my own being a child. 

The kick down is there there to be used as a quick squirt option. Same as in a manual, going from 6th to 3rd for a quick hard pull. For example, sitting behind slow traffic and there being a gap to your right that you want to fill. Granted it’s much quicker in a DSG but you wouldn’t go from 6th, 5th, 4th and third in a manual to pull out would you. 

Also just to point out, I’m not always sat behind lorry’s pulling out hard into small gaps 😂

3 minutes ago, Gavras said:

Oh I understand the legacy feeling of it.

thinking on the history side of things.

kickdown was really there for getting the to move from the Overdrive (OD) gear to the kickdown gear (about 3rd), this was the only quick way to do it as the auto gear leaver took two people to move lol.

Also one of commonest problems with hesitant or intermittent problems with kickdown, was invariably down to the kickdown cable, stretched, gunned up, fouled etc.

kickdown is a bit like engaging light speed on a starship, there is a pause before those flashing lines appear and sometimes a backfire lol.

9CE40277-7FDA-4926-AA4D-D95324A78356.jpeg.b3d363d1a87f2e189899b01ea2c43b69.jpeg

41 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

You might be onto something about it being speed related. There’s one particular bit of road (where a slip road joins a fast main road) where I use S auto and kickdown. 99% of the time it does just what is expected but the other 1% it gets confused and get the pause then scalded cat reaction. My speed at the point of approach and joining is largely consistent each time but sometimes it might differ depending on traffic, so I think that speed is related to it. 

I think the only place it gets confused is at the top of 2nd gear. It could also be a traction thing? Maybe if the car thinks it’s going to break traction it cuts the power. My M140i done that a lot, even before it had actually broke traction it would say no to the boot full you gave it. I know that’s RWD and ours are pretend AWD but just trying to think out the box. 🤷‍♂️ 

7 minutes ago, Rwagon said:

I don’t understand why people use the paddles when just chilling on the motorway. 
I only use the paddles when I’m having a play or want to make a bit of noise at slow speeds when I’m on my own being a child. 

The kick down is there there to be used as a quick squirt option. Same as in a manual, going from 6th to 3rd for a quick hard pull. For example, sitting behind slow traffic and there being a gap to your right that you want to fill. Granted it’s much quicker in a DSG but you wouldn’t go from 6th, 5th, 4th and third in a manual to pull out would you. 

Also just to point out, I’m not always sat behind lorry’s pulling out hard into small gaps 😂

This sort of where DSG differs to ZF, in that it does not block shift.

however it's two or three quick pulls of the paddle, it's not like its change pause, change pause, change pause.

some sports boxes allow a hard pull to drop down, others like dsg it's quick pulls to get the same.

with kickdown, you are leaving it to the car to decided what you want to achieve, as I said I view kickdown as panic mode and the car rolls the dice for it's best bet.

edit : as my post above and changing from OD to kickdown gear / 3rd.

modern cars it's not as clear what is OD on mine it's 7th, but nothing really defined as the kickdown gear. With modern cars that means the OD is not clear and the the Kickdown gear is not defined, this allows the car choices....