Dan-T

P0299 Code

Hi

So I was bored and thought I’d scan for codes, never done this before and was curious.

P0299 Turbo underboost is showing, I can clear it but after a drive it shows again, there is no engine light and no loss in power or so it seems, In the last few days I’ve done a 3.6 0-60, 10.82 100-200 and a 12 second 1/4 using dragy, so I’m pretty confident the car is running ok.

Mountune Stage 1 ECU and DSG

Ram Air open filter

MTC Inlet and Turbo Elbow 

No obvious boost leaks, no loose pipes, no smoke from the Turbo, small amount of wastegate actuator play but this seems to be the normal play that causes the rattle for some people, on the joint between the rod and arm.

I know this code on other VW cars old and new can sometimes mean the diverted valve is broken.....

Does anyone have experience of this and can offer some advice?

Maybe your tune is requesting higher boost than your turbo can deliver ?

I had an idea it is possible to log requested vs actual boost with some software, that might shed some light on what is going on.

I’ve had this same code come up for years now ,( stage 1 unicorn )  no loss of power and says intermittent fault . Changed dv , as thought it may be sticking , but still got the same code come up again . Cars going in for service in July with stage 2 + hardware all nearly fitted , (waiting on turbo back bcs exhaust ) I’m going to ask midland vw to see if they can solve  the issue 

Yea I’m in two minds what to do.

I spoke to someone with the same tune and same issue and they removed their TT inlet pipe and replaced with a separate elbow and pipe and the code went away.....

I have the ability to log data with the mountune handset.

Makes sense what you said above about the tune asking for more boost than the turbo can give but then you’d think Mountune would have tested the tune beyond requirements to make sure it was all ok.

I spoke to someone with the same tune and same issue and they removed their TT inlet pipe and replaced with a separate elbow and pipe and the code went away.....

Makes sense what you said above about the tune asking for more boost than the turbo can give but then you’d think Mountune would have tested the tune beyond requirements to make sure it was all ok.

It's a fairly new map so I guess you are kind of a guinea pig so to speak, now is the time you find out if the mountune custom service is up to scratch, good luck and hope you get it sorted [emoji106]

Could obviously be nothing to do with the map just a pre existing problem, as I said good luck getting to the bottom of it, could be DV I know there have been several revisions of that?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi Dan
I also have a golf r with mountune stage 1 car has only done 14000 miles car run and performs great without any lights on dash coming up but I'm also getting this P0299 code, I have spoken with mountune and they sent me another map but has not changed still code appears again, was you able to resolve this issue.
Cheers
Lee

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Hi

No response from Mountune, they looked at the datalog data I sent them and said all is fine but they didn’t address what might be causing the code.

Ive been contacting them as they were meant to be increasing the power of the stage 1 map to 385bhp/510nm in line with the IS38 stage 2 GTI tune, but I’ve not heard anything in months.

Car still performing really well though and I’ve not felt the need to scan for any codes in a long time.

Hi

No response from Mountune, they looked at the datalog data I sent them and said all is fine but they didn’t address what might be causing the code.

Ive been contacting them as they were meant to be increasing the power of the stage 1 map to 385bhp/510nm in line with the IS38 stage 2 GTI tune, but I’ve not heard anything in months.

Car still performing really well though and I’ve not felt the need to scan for any codes in a long time.
Dan
Spoke with mountune they are in contact with cobb to sort issue, in the mean time I have purchased a raceline turbo elbow to go with my raceline induction kit and looks like it has sorted the problem I check over the next few weeks but last 2 days no code [emoji106]

Are you still code free?  

I was going to get Mountune Stage 1 with TCU for my 2016 estate, but held off when they had the financial / ownership stuff going on last year, and then saw this P0299 issue.  Looks from my reading like some people - Dan included - get on ok despite the code, but as i am a worrier I would want it to be code free for me and without having to change any hardware.  So if you get any more info from Mountune on the issue / fix I would be really interested to know

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

Since I fitted turbo elbow which is straight forward to install my car is now code free, I'm running R600 intake with induction hose and elbow.

Lee

Hi Chris

Since I fitted turbo elbow which is straight forward to install my car is now code free, I'm running R600 intake with induction hose and elbow.

Lee

Thanks Lee. Good to know that fixed it for you. And I just looked up the racing line parts - nice kit. Am tempted by them too...

Do you or others know how common this error code is for the Mountune package?

I am wondering if the map really needs the better breathing from an after market kit (noting Mountune developed a breathing kit too) ... and if so I should plan on paying for the software AND breathing kit. Not a bad thing of course - just ramps up the cost

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

They do advise when purchasing the software to buy an aftermarket induction kit, the R600 is good for 600 bhp the same as theirs and they do look class under the bonnet compared to standard and sound awesome [emoji108], there are other alternatives thou, take it to Rtech for a custom map and you could leave all the hardware standard with the same results if not more bhp and torque, i had my gti ed35 mapped by Nicky took it from 235bhp to 313bhp no mods at all.