Jump to content
Mk1R

Mk1 Golf with a R conversion *build thread*

Recommended Posts

Following my intro in the welcome section last week, I thought I’d start a build thread about a project I’m working on at the moment. 
 

The project involves taking a mk1 Golf and converting its engine, running gear, drivetrain and bits of its interior to mk7.5 R spec. 
 

I started this project on the weekend and the plan is to update this thread 

(05/06/20) and the plan is to update this thread Whenever I make some progress.

 

I appreciate MK1’s aren’t everyone’s cup of tea. But I hope you enjoy the thread and the journey as it will be a long one, and I hope you get some insightful R knowledge out of it to.

 

Anyway onto the beginning; 

 

I’ve sourced a crash damaged 2017 Golf R as my donor vehicle, 

 

the first task was to remove the engine and box, 

 

the engine was stripped down timing chains and head gasket were replaced.

 

 

EA20857E-33D7-474E-B470-266820D488EC.jpeg

9BA26FB5-AD72-4743-AB80-F9A221CA2171.jpeg

C767E921-0700-4903-BEA7-DEA4F83386D3.jpeg

8FE9AC15-B62B-46E7-9A69-833CD44C7555.jpeg

E97C3257-D9F7-4FB8-91E0-9D8CE1373B72.jpeg

A4B5E4BE-874D-458B-AB18-6C8C7DC23031.jpeg

611E6031-DE8D-45F6-B1C9-34E749BDEC9A.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bookmarked.

An old friend of mine whilst at Uni back in the early 90’s had a heavily modified lime green mk1 - think it even made it into “Max Power”

Love mk1’s, watching this build with interest.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before mounting the engine to the gearbox I decided to weigh the engine and gearbox separately. 
 

engine complete with turbo 105kg

transmission (dq381 7 speed DSG) without transfer box 95kg

 


 

 

CD4915AE-6036-4F58-9F5D-D7FBE79AE240.jpeg

F5A55979-6538-4B20-A805-35E4C98421EF.jpeg

62B95E63-CBA0-47C9-AAD9-3AB72B48A743.jpeg

F7F29FE4-186E-426F-937E-115F906C03D7.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Initially I’ll cut and re-weld the original shafts, I’ll then get some custom shafts made once I’m happy with the setup. 
 

I want it to stay as close to the original mk1 track width as possible, no berg cup arches or anything like that that.

 

propshaft wise, I’ll shorten the original and get it rebalanced. 
 

Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...