Mk1 Golf with a R conversion *build thread*

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So here’s the final result (for now)   its now rolling and steering again 

Following my intro in the welcome section last week, I thought I’d start a build thread about a project I’m working on at the moment.    The project involves taking a mk1 Golf and converting it

Finally the moment of truth, we are 4WD!!

Posted Images

As I mentioned in a couple of posts earlier, I have a update to share with you. 

now that the main welding on the rear end has been completed, I have decided to work from rear to front. 

The main focus has been the passenger floor area, which I wanted to further strengthen up a bit. The mk1 is suffering a bit of corrosion here and there. 

the piece of box section added to floor is recycled from the mk7 donor, I’m hoping this will decrease some chassis flex. 

BDC99498-D8D4-40C3-8757-566FD9CAF23B.jpeg

CB9CD032-2D53-4D4D-9421-A371E446FD53.jpeg

BE79188B-76C5-4342-A726-B0E953BEA663.jpeg

With the box sections now in on both sides, I wanted to check the alignment of the subframes. 

to make things a little easier to measure I made something called a trammel bar. This would allow me to quickly measure around the chassis, side to side and diagonally. 

it’s two square tubes which slide inside each other, the screws lock it into position. 

2F341927-B98C-4DEF-B791-F7822DD91C3D.jpeg

22C1BB19-693D-48E0-9B18-8B75F2B4E0A5.jpeg

20A0D56F-302F-4009-9F84-63E591373A78.jpeg

Satisfied that the subframes were in alignment to best of my ability. I wanted/needed final confirmation that things were right. I decided to book the mk1 in for a four wheel alignment. 

this would be a true indicator on how front and rear fabrication went. 

it was nice to see the mk1 out in some daylight.

B554E046-AB4A-4A08-9E20-33C8322BDC15.thumb.jpeg.55b1eabc556475e93181b669813c2ae9.jpeg

E13A0AA7-EF34-4D7E-9672-EBBAE0A0E6D2.jpeg

Here is picture of the geometry/wheel alignment as I presented the car. 

as you can see it was a mess. 

I’ll explain the figures (sorry if you know all this)

starting from the top left (FRONT AXLE)

-1.17 is the front left camber angle

0.33 is the front left toe (the wheel is turning inwards)

-0.93 is total toe (both front wheel toe figures added together)

-1.26 front right toe figure (the wheel is pointing outwards)

-1.12 front right camber angle

REAR AXLE

-0.47 left rear camber angle 

-0.16 rear toe ( the wheel is pointing outwards)

-0.39 overall thrust angle ( are the back wheels following the rear wheels in a straight line) 

-1.61 overall toe angle of the rear wheels

-1.45 right rear toe angle ( wheel is pointing outwards massively)

-1.09 right rear camber angle

C10FB4B9-ACEB-4CF0-B5B6-87434AABAD20.jpeg

After some time adjusting, we managed the following. 

as you can see the front end adjusted quite nicely 

There is two additional figures in the picture, 10.21 and 10.08 this refers to caster angle. Having similar values side to side is important for high speed stability. Caster angle helps the steering wheel to self centre and it causes negative camber during cornering which helps with grip. 

unfortunately the rear wasn’t playing ball, although the left rear came into spec the right rear had maxed out its adjustment. 

things are fundamentally there, I just need to understand how the mk7 rear suspension works a bit better. 

7CB34152-9070-445C-85B0-BDD133614362.thumb.jpeg.fa5c0817f0521685569303f381be271b.jpeg

as everyone has said, amazing work!

this will be an absolute beast when done.

Will the lack of weight in the car in the current form effect the suspension geo much? Or will it need another check when the car is 'finihsed'.

52 minutes ago, v7fmp said:

as everyone has said, amazing work!

this will be an absolute beast when done.

Will the lack of weight in the car in the current form effect the suspension geo much? Or will it need another check when the car is 'finihsed'.

Thanks for the post! 

The suspension geometry will definitely change when more weight is added, ie fuel tank, interior and doors etc. 

the mk1 is currently sitting on R estate suspension so it may turn out to be too stiff. 

This Geo check was mainly to check the fabrication work, how bent things were and to make sure the car will go in a straight line.  Will definitely need setting up properly once complete with weight etc. 

Cheers

22 minutes ago, v7fmp said:

ah of course, i dont know why it didnt click that it was to check alignment of your handy work.

Any rough guesstimate of its finished weight?

And is it staying red?

The hope is to stay under 1000kg. 

it’s unlikely to stay red, but haven’t decided on the final colour just yet. 

Thanks 

• 4 weeks later...

Considering the amount and nature of the work undertaken I think getting 3 of the 4 wheels setup correctly without too much trouble is a great achievement, bravo!

I'm sure you now have some ideas on how to sort the 4th having had a bit of time to think about it? Another good test of your already finely honed logical thinking and ingenuity...

Well done,  another major step forward, and validation of the care and skill used to get this far.

I do think, though, that you're going to face a major compromise when thoughts turn to brakes, which will influence wheel size, and will, in turn, have a significant impact on the appearance, ride height, suspension and ride quality of the finished car.

I'm eager to see what you come up with.  Keep up the good work!

On 02/05/2021 at 07:25, ChrisS said:

Considering the amount and nature of the work undertaken I think getting 3 of the 4 wheels setup correctly without too much trouble is a great achievement, bravo!

I'm sure you now have some ideas on how to sort the 4th having had a bit of time to think about it? Another good test of your already finely honed logical thinking and ingenuity...

Hi Chris 

Thanks for your post,  I’m pretty chuffed how the geometry went.

I’ve found a solution to the rear tracking issues, which I’ll be sharing in the next couple of days. 

On 02/05/2021 at 07:57, Dr Mike Oxgreen said:

Well done,  another major step forward, and validation of the care and skill used to get this far.

I do think, though, that you're going to face a major compromise when thoughts turn to brakes, which will influence wheel size, and will, in turn, have a significant impact on the appearance, ride height, suspension and ride quality of the finished car.

I'm eager to see what you come up with.  Keep up the good work!

Thanks Mike,

ive seen a couple of brake kits out there, around the 290-300mm disc size. 

my main focus at the moment is to try and hit my target of completing the fabrication by the end of May. 

Thanks