Gregamir

Humming noise from inside the cabin

Hello guys!

So I've got this weird humming related issue but can only be heard from inside the cabin. It's bee there since I bought the car (2010 scirocco 2.0 TDI) and it sounds like it's coming from the dashboard although I'm not entirely sure because it could be anywhere else. The noise goes something like "woom...woom...woom" in not so fast intervals between the hums and it has a constant deep tone to it. It is NOT affected by engine RPM or aircondition since it is turned off most of the time. While driving the tone or speed of the hum does NOT change at all, although it is harder to hear when driving, but thats because of the tire noise and engine noise. 

I have no clue whatsoever what this could be. I've read forums, I've done research and everything I found suggested a bad wheel bearing, but since the noise is there even when idling it just can't be wheel bearing. Some suggested fuel pump but as far as I know bad fuel pump makes a buzzing-like noise(?).

I took the car to a mechanic the other day, he heard the noise and told me it comes somewhere from inside the dashboard, but he also had no clue what exactly it could be and that whatever it is, it is not dangerous or anything very abnormal o.O

You probably know the feeling when some random noise drives you crazy.. well I feel ya, I own this car for 2 years and I just can't get to the bottom of this. For the most part I just used the best known VW technique when dealing with noises, ramp up the stereo and the problem is gone lol, but then again... 😩😔

Someone with experience, I beg you to help me! 🙏 Ideas, suggestions, anything really..

Thank you for your time lad! Cheers!

No, not at all. But it kinda sounds like some sort of pump I think, it is sort of like that noise from old washing machine when pumping water..

But here, I am a bit of a music guy so I managed to "recreate" the sound in the link below :S sorry for the inconvenience :S

Thank you for your time!

I'm assuming you only hear it when the engine is running.  What happens if the ignition is switched on but the engine isn't running ?  If it is different that might help narrow down the source.

A mechanics stethoscope (yes there are such things, I have one) might also help find what is making the sound.  Mine has a long probe that you can place in various locations.

That sounds a bit like something you'd get from the speakers.  Maybe try pulling the fuse for the sound system to see if that has any effect ?

Hey thanks for feedback!

I'll come back tomorrow afternoon and keep you posted about all of the above, because I havent tried those yet 😬 But I do only hear it when the engine is running. If I only turn the key half way I don't think I can hear that noise because it does sound kind of mechanical, as I said, like some sort of pump, the mp3 from soundcloud is more like "give you an idea" type of thing 😬 

But thank you nevertheless! I'll be in touch! Cheers!

Are you sure it’s not the fan in the radio? When they are hot the fan goes can be heard usually when you power the car down at the end maybe the bearings are going in the fan. Could be the disk spinning inside if you have the rns500 Nav one.

Im pretty sure its not the radio, because rns 310 doesn't have one 😬 Plus I could definitely recognize the sound of a fan with a bad bearing.. Must be something else, something that no one has yet figured out haha

Nothing more annoying, especially once you tune in to it and just can't hear anything else! Definitely sounds mechanical rather than anything else, as mentioned I think it needs someone to listen in to each component and rule them out one after another, unfortunately not a cheap or quick process... Good luck

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Current Donation Goals