SpursMadDave

Spark Plugs for Stage 2

As the title says, my R has been stage 2 for a few months now and as it's on 52k and I assume original plugs I am planning to change them sooner rather that later so any suggestions or will stock plugs be good enough?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I’ve just purchased a set of NGK R7347-9 to go along with my L380X turbo . Originally using RS7 plugs but advised to change since I’m going stage 2+/3 if that’s any help  

I’ve just purchased a set of NGK R7347-9 to go along with my L380X turbo . Originally using RS7 plugs but advised to change since I’m going stage 2+/3 if that’s any help  
Cheers, yeah I've read about RS7 plugs but really only needed for Stage 3 cars I think, anyway thanks for the comment hope your stage 2+/3 plans to well

8 hours ago, SpursMadDave said:

Of course but looking for actual members running stage 2 to give their thoughts on what they run good/bad

My reason for suggesting asking the tuner first was that not all stage 2 tunes would be identical, so unless someone else has the same tuner stage 2 tune and identical dp, intake etc the best plugs for their setup may be different to what's optimum for your car.

My reason for suggesting asking the tuner first was that not all stage 2 tunes would be identical, so unless someone else has the same tuner stage 2 tune and identical dp, intake etc the best plugs for their setup may be different to what's optimum for your car.
Yep I understand as I have had tuned cars before believe it or not

I just wanted to hear any owners of stage 2 cars that had used non oem plugs and their experiences, are you stage 2?

I went with the NGK 9's for stage 2. Apr recommend these colder plugs on their website for stage 2, and so did the apr dealer. Apr recommend changing these plugs every 10 to 15 thousand miles. They've been spot on since fitting them.

I avoided the RS7 plugs due to what I'd heard about misfires and broken tips at stage 2 and above. 

I went with the NGK 9's for stage 2. Apr recommend these colder plugs on their website for stage 2, and so did the apr dealer. Apr recommend changing these plugs every 10 to 15 thousand miles. They've been spot on since fitting them.

I avoided the RS7 plugs due to what I'd heard about misfires and broken tips at stage 2 and above. 
Cheers, exactly the sort of info I was after, many thanks

Dave

When I had the misfire recently I was running RS7 plugs recommended some time ago by Awesome as a cheaper alternative to the APR recommended NGK items. 
It wasn’t the RS7 plugs at fault causing the erratic random misfire  neither was it the coilpacks but it was identified as a rogue leaking injector. 
That aside my RS7 plugs seemed faultless but I’m now on the NGK Race plugs recommended by APR together with their coilpacks.

There definitely seems to be an improvement ...more lively better response and smoother. I suspect the new injectors have helped as well but if your stage 2 either plugs work with a stage 2 car. Will at VRS recommended running stock plugs on an APR stage 2 tune so each tuner seems to have their own views.

Dave

When I had the misfire recently I was running RS7 plugs recommended some time ago by Awesome as a cheaper alternative to the APR recommended NGK items. 
It wasn’t the RS7 plugs at fault causing the erratic random misfire  neither was it the coilpacks but it was identified as a rogue leaking injector. 
That aside my RS7 plugs seemed faultless but I’m now on the NGK Race plugs recommended by APR together with their coilpacks.
There definitely seems to be an improvement ...more lively better response and smoother. I suspect the new injectors have helped as well but if your stage 2 either plugs work with a stage 2 car. Will at VRS recommended running stock plugs on an APR stage 2 tune so each tuner seems to have their own views.

Cheers Ian very much appreciated!

Yes seems to be a lot of difference between tuners as you say, some saying oem plugs are fine and some recommending upgraded ones. So the NGK race plugs seem an improvement, I will check them out.