The video that jrw posted up, and Lous pics, shows that the grommet is an integral part of the drain tube, so it’s a case of the grommet perishing. If the tube is fitted then it would have had the grommet originally. Just seems to be a weak part very prone to failing.  

It may also be failing as when its fixed at factory it's being pulled in from the inside and perhaps the rubber gets split easily. So when fitting the new one - a touch of washing up liquid or soap, to help the grommet seat properly into the hole without pulling hard.

cheers

33 minutes ago, Degsy said:

Sorted mine today, been on my mind for months and luckily local dealer had one in stock.

Thanks for all the helpful posts

Also in stock at my local dealer.  No wonder they keep good stocks of these, they know its a crap bit of kit and clearly deemed a consumable item! 

On 21/06/2020 at 07:23, Microbe said:

Anyone know whether this is an issue on the estate or is it just a hatchback problem?

Just checked on mine today (June 2017 build R wagon with factory reversing camera), the grommet is still there and intact, but it seems quite hard (I expected it to be slightly soft rubber).  My wagon is usually garaged, so not much exposure to weather.

17 hours ago, gregozedobe said:

Just checked on mine today (June 2017 build R wagon with factory reversing camera), the grommet is still there and intact, but it seems quite hard (I expected it to be slightly soft rubber).  My wagon is usually garaged, so not much exposure to weather.

A little late but ive just checked and  all ok, present and a bit hard but ok, R wagon 66 reg with camera and garaged 👌 

20200623_113540.jpg

Swapped mine over today, nice easy job if you watch the video in this thread and follow where the guy pulls the trim it comes away with a bit of effort, harder putting it back to be honest.

The drain pipe was totally perished leaving it just loose inside 5418ceae9e2a898795189ef20b35b1c4.jpgf957310b7fdd86ca7105f134c56a0549.jpgf2b0636aadfe6d6e8f969d554c3c8f1e.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

67 Estate gone. 

I suspect it was there but rubbed off on the body work. However I pulled it through a small O ring/washer and that seems to keep it in place. I do wonder though whether it will sit too proud and get destroyed. Might as well try and see what happens to it as got nothing to lose.

20200810_142537[1].jpg

On 10/08/2020 at 12:45, roj1801 said:

Really simple job to do and only took about 15 minutes.  You just need to be a bit brave when taking the trim off, it requires a good pull to remove it.

Second this.  Under £6 for the part and a 15 minute job.  Quoted £70 by Inchcape Chester when picked up during their  "free" health check  

Hiya.  I think this is the most recent thread on the drain hose leak problem....  I replaced mine today, but broke a white plastic clip in the process ... have ringed it in red on the photo below (photo copied from Roj1801's pics above)

Anyone else had similar misfortune and found a replacement?  I have done a bit of googling of parts suppliers but haven't found anything helpful yet. 

Not sure how essential this clip is, but would like to replace it if I can before putting the trim back on.

GolfRTailgate.jpg