Golf R MK 7/7.5 Reliability

Hi Guys I have had two Golf R’s a MK7 and now a MK7.5 . Between the two 110,000 kms combined with no issues to note. Sure the MK7 had a cracked starter button, broken seat bolster but that’s about it and fixed by dealer. 

Both Cars TCU ECU APR tuned.

My Question is anyone out there with higher than 60,000 kms have and issues. For example DSG, Engine etc Issues? Thanks 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do you live on the moon? Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I’m not quite on 60,000km but not too far off at 33k miles.  Car is a stock mk7 hatch, DSG, DCC, Prets, it’s coming up 5 years old this Sept (owned from new) and the only issue I’ve had is a dud batte

Only thing whilst in warranty on my 7R was the front Headlight water jet had stuck. Dealer new mechanism.   Car is Stage 2 and has covered 33k   Outside warranty battery failed and

I’m not quite on 60,000km but not too far off at 33k miles.  Car is a stock mk7 hatch, DSG, DCC, Prets, it’s coming up 5 years old this Sept (owned from new) and the only issue I’ve had is a dud battery which was changed under warranty at 17k miles.  Apart from that it’s been good as gold.  Serviced annually (haldex oil and filter done).  Just about to have a DSG service (albeit a little early).  

I have a 7R which is on 35k miles (purchased at 20k) and the only major thing I’ve had wrong is a wheel bearing issue caused by a pothole I assume.

I had to replace the fuel cap actuator as the flap wasn’t opening but it was a 30 min job.

I had a scare a month or two ago with a coolant warning light so I thought I had a leaking thermostat but after filling it seems to be okay for now.

Hi Booth11, thanks for your comment. Sounds good. Oh I forgot to mention my MK7 also had a new battery under warranty. I was using the stop/start engine on/off function with that car. Not so with the 7.5 so battery has lasted longer. Cheers  I am new at this so not sure if your comment is being quoted in my reply as I can’t see it even though I hit the quote tab? 

Sorry to hear about that. Again thanks for your reply. How are your leaks now and did you get rid if any musky smells. The gear selector is that deep mechanical in the gearbox mechanism or the hardware connected to the gear shifter? Any other issues thanks 
It's the gear selector assembly that needed to be replaced, seems to be a common issue and not easy fix, fortunately replaced under warranty car had only done around 10k at that point.

leaks fixed now it seems, Smell about gone but good warning as smelt damp for a little while, but no signs of wet anywhere on carpets, all dry until carpet was lifted and apubd material under was soaking.

No other major issues apart from normal annoying squeaks and rattles of cabin.

car is looked after and had regular oil changes, DSG oil and heldex done twice already just because.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Just now, Blue GolfR7.5 said:

Hi Booth11, thanks for your comment. Sounds good. Oh I forgot to mention my MK7 also had a new battery under warranty. I was using the stop/start engine on/off function with that car. Not so with the 7.5 so battery has lasted longer. Cheers  I am new at this so not sure if your comment is being quoted in my reply as I can’t see it even though I hit the quote tab? 

My battery went despite me never using stop/start with mine (and still don’t as I loath it), it’s long been disabled with OBDeleven.  Maybe you just had a better battery on your 7.5. There’s been quite a few on here had batteries fail.  

The quote didn’t appear, so something must have gone amiss.  No worries though, sometimes there’s the odd glitch. 

Hey guys how do you quote when commenting. I have tried but doing something wrong. 

I am also responding to Booth11 last comment.

yeah my warranty finishes in a couple of months. Hope the battery dies before then lol 

oh I see now how to quote. Sorry about the mess 

32 minutes ago, Leespo said:

lapiz mk7 R estate, basic spec with prets and Garmin nav upgrades.

main issues have been

DSG selector replacement due to select gear error messages

leaking rear doors due to speaker seal issues, resulting in all carpet underlay saturated and needed full lifting and cleaning.

20 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

I’m not quite on 60,000km but not too far off at 33k miles.  Car is a stock mk7 hatch, DSG, DCC, Prets, it’s coming up 5 years old this Sept (owned from new) and the only issue I’ve had is a dud battery which was changed under warranty at 17k miles.  Apart from that it’s been good as gold.  Serviced annually (haldex oil and filter done).  Just about to have a DSG service (albeit a little early).  

11 minutes ago, ellixtt said:

I have a 7R which is on 35k miles (purchased at 20k) and the only thing I’ve had wrong is a wheel bearing issue caused by a pothole I assume.

I had a scare a month or two ago with a coolant warning light so I thought I had a leaking thermostat but after filling it seems to be okay for now.

7 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

My battery went despite me never using stop/start with mine (and still don’t as I loath it), it’s long been disabled with OBDeleven.  Maybe you just had a better battery on your 7.5. There’s been quite a few on here had batteries fail.  

The quote didn’t appear, so something must have gone amiss.  No worries though, sometimes there’s the odd glitch. 

Just now, Blue GolfR7.5 said:

Hey guys how do you quote when commenting. I have tried but doing something wrong. 

I am also responding to Booth11 last comment.

yeah my warranty finishes in a couple of months. Hope the battery dies before then lol 

oh I see now how to quote. Sorry about the mess 

You’ve sussed it!  😁  If you want the  quote to appear first, hit the quote button before you type your reply.  

Fingers crossed for your battery!  😂

18 minutes ago, Leespo said:

It's the gear selector assembly that needed to be replaced, seems to be a common issue and not easy fix, fortunately replaced under warranty car had only done around 10k at that point.

leaks fixed now it seems, Smell about gone but good warning as smelt damp for a little while, but no signs of wet anywhere on carpets, all dry until carpet was lifted and apubd material under was soaking.

No other major issues apart from normal annoying squeaks and rattles of cabin.

car is looked after and had regular oil changes, DSG oil and heldex done twice already just because.

Now I am suspicious of any potential leaks. again sorry to hear that.

Yes lucky the gear selector was fixed. Is that what they call the mechatronics?

i find if you fill the fold of your  door rubbers with silicone those creaks disappear. In the actual rubber folds.

cheers 

Now I am suspicious of any potential leaks. again sorry to hear that.

Yes lucky the gear selector was fixed. Is that what they call the mechatronics?

i find if you fill the fold of your  door rubbers with silicone those creaks disappear. In the actual rubber folds.

cheers 

yes very annoying but seem to be 2 common golf faults.

The leak was very annoying, worst thing was all carpets on top were dry so lesson is dont be lazy and check under carpets asap if you suspect anything