I really love the look of this......well that was until i saw the steering wheel has nothing but touch controls :banghead:

Still the R shooting brake is stunning looking - best looking estate like car for a VW and gives Audi models a run for their money.

Lots of hints in this of what the mk8 R will be - i.e. 320bhp (measly upgrade), torque vectoring AWD - a nice upgrade. Shame the rest of the mk8 is a cheap ugly duck.

This arteon puts the mk8 golf to shame with its TWO bonnet gas struts!

Along with better aircon controls, (albeit some touch variant), knobs on the media display, updated headlight knob, better looking cluster (not smothered in gloss black plastic), soft touch rear doors, most mk7 features such as a cup holder cover and generally the car doesn't look to have any of the penny pinching in the mk8 golf. Hell it even retains a proper knob for the DSG.

Either R version of the Arteon, shooting brake or GT - look great!

And a Direct Injection engine too, no doubt.

I wonder if these 320bhp power units will be producing a little more than stated. Has been known before. 🙂

With regards the Golf R Mk 8, time will tell when Matt Watson gets hold of one and puts it up against a few other hot hatches.... 😉

When I first saw the pictures way back on pistonheads - I thought what are VW doing?!?!? - but seeing that, its a yes from me.

Be interesting to see how nimble they make it, the golf r estate is a bit heavier than the hatchback (as more bodywork), plus I'm interested to see how they will make this one sound? I doubt it will be as loud as current r estate (and to some thats not loud but its fine for me).

Will certainly look at one, but the controls put me off a bit - will have to try them out first.

I like it, although I find some shooting brake models tend to have style over substance, they tend to fail on the practical level.

Also it's higher up the model pecking order and will therefore get better kit than the Golf (bottom segment).

i noticed it comes with already fitted Knight Rider ready LEDs, how long before that is coded.

16 minutes ago, Gavras said:

Also it's higher up the model pecking order and will therefore get better kit than the Golf (bottom segment).

This is what annoys me - the Golf used to be middle segment, the Polo bottom/basic entry.

Now the Polo has been upgraded significantly and is much closer to a Golf.

In turn the Golf has been downgraded since the Mk6, and is now much closer to the Polo.

So polo is bottom, Golf is a little bit above bottom....now Arteon is top - as they tend to get more kit and far less (if any) penny pinching.

The model differentiators have also been blurred - what with R-Line giving you all the sport styling, bells and whistles of the top end model, but with the mickey mouse engine of the entry level.

Might as well just buy a Polo GTI....i mean if any casual car owner / mild car enthusiast takes one look at this, they'd think 'Nice Golf GTI'

Volkswagen Polo GTi Plus | BOTB

I'm waiting for VW to bring out an R version of the Polo, with a 0-60 just 0.1 second slower than the Golf R

There's just something about the shooting brake that doesn't look right to me.  I think it's the angle of the bottom window frame to the C pillar.  It doesn't look bad in R trim but as standard I think it looks 'meh'.  The Passat CC, 12 years on, is still a better looking car than the Arteon IMHO. 

I've also noticed in a few shots online that the DSG paddles are longer.  IMO the interior layout/style is less of an eyesore Vs the Golf Mk8 but I'm still not a fan of that new steering wheel. 

2021-Volkswagen-Arteon-R-Shooting-Brake-

32 minutes ago, blower said:

I'm waiting for VW to bring out an R version of the Polo, with a 0-60 just 0.1 second slower than the Golf R

IIRC Audi tried something similar with the S1, but by the time they added in all the AWD and other stuff it was nearly as heavy as the S3, cost nearly as much but had significantly less power.  Ended up a sales flop and is no longer made.  Maybe if they had made an RS1 instead they may have fared better (but I somehow doubt it).

1 hour ago, blower said:

A Polo Wagon R Would be a laugh. 
Current Polo GTI similar output to Mk5 GTI - handy to use, but more Fizz and fun elsewhere imho. 

I love the look of that Arteon R shooting brake.

I always liked the general look of the Arteon (esp when NOT in that mustard colour they show so often :|), but they never did a hot one.

Now they do both an R and a shooting brake!

Certainly a more enticing option than the Golf Mk8. Not liking all the corner cutting thats gone on. Esp on the inside.

It’s too big for my needs and wants, and I’m a hatch person through and through, but I really like it (particularly shooting brake version).  It has a quality to it (and actual quality) that so far seems to be missing from the mk8.  How sad is it to be jealous of two gas bonnet struts!  😁

With this, the ID range, the Polo upgrade, it’s almost like the Golf is being treated (by VW) like the embarrassing member of the family these days.  

Seems very much based on the Mk7 interior wise which is why it looks a nicer option than the Mk8 Golf interior wise. Strange that the Golf gets a 'Digital' make over but not this model, I guess that will sadly be coming...

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, gregozedobe said:

IIRC Audi tried something similar with the S1, but by the time they added in all the AWD and other stuff it was nearly as heavy as the S3, cost nearly as much but had significantly less power.  Ended up a sales flop and is no longer made.  Maybe if they had made an RS1 instead they may have fared better (but I somehow doubt it).

The S3 Hatch is 149Kg heavier and a Saloon S3 is ~315 Kg heavier than an S1. The reason the S1 was not a run away success is they were considerably more expensive than their rivals (£27500 compared with £22000 for a Fiesta ST). The investment to get the all of the running gear installed is one Audi are not inclined to repeat, hence the refusal to create a new S1.

Anyone who's driven one knows they're more fun than a Golf R/S3 etc etc They are hugely underrated ;)

Oh, they stage 1 map to over 300 too. Will be getting mine done when the warranty is up.

On topic....I really like the Arteon, looks good. Not keen on the touch control silliness but it'll take a coupe of years for those to disappear and we'll be back to something useable. Interesting insight into what the Mk8 could have been.

The new A3 has been criticised for its much cheaper interior plastics etc so perhaps a larger dividing line between boggo and premium is desired by VAG?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.