Not a massive upgrade to the old R-line which came with the R engine anyway. I bet they cost well over 40k

I do love the body styling though, I bet they will be a great second hand buy but could be rare.

I have to admit I do quite like this. I'm a bit disappointed in the power output as I think it should of been pushed up closer to RS4 territory, maybe 360ish to account for the weight and price over something like a Golf R. Ultimately though I do still think it'll be a commercial failure, at least in the UK anyway. I'm fairly confident I've only ever seen maybe one or two Arteon's on the road since they came out.

I think ultimately when you get to this price point either you car needs to be better than everyone else's (which it isn't) or the brand needs to be better than everyone else's (which it isn't). VW is meant to be the middle ground. Better than the "budget" brands like Skoda and Seat but not as good as the likes of Audi. It's only saving grace might be the fact that the Audi S4 is now diesel only.

I will be looking to replace the golf early to mid next year with new fast estate so may take a look at the shooting brake as looks nice.

Not sure it will be enough for me as really want a step up from the R so would rather do CLA 45 S shooting brake or C43 estate currently.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, tweaked9107 said:

I have to admit I do quite like this. I'm a bit disappointed in the power output as I think it should of been pushed up closer to RS4 territory, maybe 360ish to account for the weight and price over something like a Golf R. Ultimately though I do still think it'll be a commercial failure, at least in the UK anyway. I'm fairly confident I've only ever seen maybe one or two Arteon's on the road since they came out.

I think ultimately when you get to this price point either you car needs to be better than everyone else's (which it isn't) or the brand needs to be better than everyone else's (which it isn't). VW is meant to be the middle ground. Better than the "budget" brands like Skoda and Seat but not as good as the likes of Audi. It's only saving grace might be the fact that the Audi S4 is now diesel only.

I agree with Stefan...Looks great...but needs....POWER!!!!....:lol:

Yep, a bit disappointed that it's just another EA888 powered car, although the flip side of that is the wealth of tuning expertise in the platform. Definitely keen to have a look when it's time to replace my R estate which is just a bit small for me.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

The Arteon R, for me can be admired from afar, well bits of it anyway.   Too big; too long, too wide.  The R may be appealing but likely expensive new, so up against MB and BMW.

A best available-from-VW-R Wagon replacement?  For me the Arteon is like a Passat in a posh frock.😑

I like the look of the new Arteon, especially those tinted taillights.

If I had to get a “grown-up” car after my 7.5R, it would most likely be for an Arteon R! Even the standard 4Motion 2.0 TSI was an enticing option but this R model jumps above that now.

Will be interesting to see the uptake of this as the prices being estimated push it very close to the Audi and it could come down to the standard options offered on the Arteon R.

8 hours ago, HITMAN_VW said:

If I had to get a “grown-up” car after my 7.5R, it would most likely be for an Arteon R! 

IMO the Golf R is plenty "grown-up" for anyone ! 

I'm 67, and I'm not the oldest R owner.  Admittedly some (eg SHMBO) would argue that I'm not very grown-up at all, but that isn't the R's fault.  😂

When I first saw this I was quite pleased, I’m a sucker for a quick, attractive wagon. But now the more I think about it, the more I think this misses the mark and I don’t think it would be for me. The car itself looks ok but i think I’m expectant of an engine & performance increase. They’re doing a non R version in hybrid form, why not an R hybrid by now!! I think I’d consider an 300bhp EA888 with a 100bhp electrical side to make it a decent standout model. 

As mentioned above, it’s coming up against a lot of better models, I see a 330/340i or C43 for not much more capital as a better option. 

I think it looks great. Different, but that's my cup of tea. 

If it's offered in Turmeric I will 100% be placing an order to replace the Golf. I've been saying I want a fast estate as my next car for a while but I don't really want to spend RS4 money or get a diesel S4, so this seems like a good compromise. 

Steering wheel is naff however. 

My one criticism of the Golf is that it is a bit too small in the rear. I'm 6'3 and got tall kids. To fit them behind me in any degree of comfort, I have to have my seat too far forward to be comfortable. This seems to have that sorted. 

My one criticism of the Golf is that it is a bit too small in the rear. I'm 6'3 and got tall kids. To fit them behind me in any degree of comfort, I have to have my seat too far forward to be comfortable. This seems to have that sorted. 
Same for me. The R estate is just that bit too small, so if the Arteon offers Passat level interior space I'm in.

29 minutes ago, MonsterWalker said:

Same for me. The R estate is just that bit too small, so if the Arteon offers Passat level interior space I'm in.

But my criticism of the Arteon Estate might be that it is a bit longer than the Passat but offers less practicality. That goes against my way of thinking!!! I think (but happy to be told otherwise) that the Passat 272 bhp engine is just a detuned R and can be easily remapped to 350bhp. I sometimes use Celtic Tuning's www to see figures etc, and the remapped output for the Passat is the same as for the Golf R pre OPF (hence why I thought it might be the same engine but just detuned a bit). 

I love a Passat and our B6 has been a true workhorse, and I did really like the look of the Passat R line edition. I guess the question is whether you could take that Passat and without spending ridiculous money make it as compelling to drive as you would hope the Arteon will be. Power is fairly straightforward to add, it's the handling dynamics I'm less sure of.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.