Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, delticdave said:

I'm dithering re. replacing my R hatch with something "sensible", a 4WD Arteon or Superb would work for me but if the petrol Octavia Mk.4 vRS is offered with 4WD I'm going back to Skoda. I had a quick peek & poke in a Mk. 4 Octy yesterday & it's quite impressive, especially with the interior materials. Better than the Golf 8.....  

 

I quite like my Mk2 Octy vRS wagon, but lack of AWD traction is my biggest criticism. 

 

A "softroader" Octy Mk4 might have AWD, but I have my doubts that the higher performance Octy vRS would be AWD (that might steal too many sales from the parent VW brand).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love the look of that Arteon R shooting brake.   I always liked the general look of the Arteon (esp when NOT in that mustard colour they show so often :|), but they never did a hot one.

It’s too big for my needs and wants, and I’m a hatch person through and through, but I really like it (particularly shooting brake version).  It has a quality to it (and actual quality) that so far se

IMO the Golf R is plenty "grown-up" for anyone !    I'm 67, and I'm not the oldest R owner.  Admittedly some (eg SHMBO) would argue that I'm not very grown-up at all, but that isn't the R's

13 hours ago, gregozedobe said:

 

I quite like my Mk2 Octy vRS wagon, but lack of AWD traction is my biggest criticism. 

 

A "softroader" Octy Mk4 might have AWD, but I have my doubts that the higher performance Octy vRS would be AWD (that might steal too many sales from the parent VW brand).

 

I have to agree with you, Skoda do indeed seem to steal sales from their cousins. 

Skoda did sell a few AWD Mk.3 Facelift Octavia estates recently, in SE+L & LnK trims. All with 190 ps TSi & 7-speed DSG. I've never found one (on Autotrader) with paddles, if I had I just might have spent the £25K they were asking, Add a stage 1 remap & you might have a junior stealth bomber....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, delticdave said:

 

I have to agree with you, Skoda do indeed seem to steal sales from their cousins. 

Skoda did sell a few AWD Mk.3 Facelift Octavia estates recently, in SE+L & LnK trims. All with 190 ps TSi & 7-speed DSG. I've never found one (on Autotrader) with paddles, if I had I just might have spent the £25K they were asking, Add a stage 1 remap & you might have a junior stealth bomber....

 

If the DSG was the 7 speed dry clutch version I'd avoid it like the plague - they are terribly unreliable.  If it is the DQ381 with wet clutches (as in the Mk7.5 Golf R & GTI) they are a very good 'box.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gregozedobe said:

If the DSG was the 7 speed dry clutch version I'd avoid it like the plague - they are terribly unreliable.  If it is the DQ381 with wet clutches (as in the Mk7.5 Golf R & GTI) they are a very good 'box.

I'd think it's the DQ381, the dry clutch (DQ200?) 7-speed couldn't cope with a 190ps TSi.  I had a test drive in a 1.8 TSi 160ps Superb 2 many years ago with the DQ200, but bought a 2.0 TSi DQ 250 instead......

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
On 25/06/2020 at 08:09, MonsterWalker said:

Yep, a bit disappointed that it's just another EA888 powered car, although the flip side of that is the wealth of tuning expertise in the platform. Definitely keen to have a look when it's time to replace my R estate which is just a bit small for me.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk
 

The new Golf estate is a bigger car than the Mk 7, it's on the 2686 mm wheelbase platform, as is the Octavia 4 & the new Leon. It's 4633 mm long, rather than the 4562 mm Mk. 7. Tomas was quite happy with the head & legroom, (when testing the Alltrack version).

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, delticdave said:

The new Golf estate is a bigger car than the Mk 7, it's on the 2686 mm wheelbase platform, as is the Octavia 4 & the new Leon. It's 4633 mm long, rather than the 4562 mm Mk. 7. Tomas was quite happy with the head & legroom, (when testing the Alltrack version).

 

IIRC The Mk8 Golf R wagon has a longer wheelbase (and therefore more rear legroom) than the Mk8 Golf R hatch.  Might be useful for parents wanting to fit large child seats in the back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...
15 minutes ago, Davey-c said:

VW have lost the plot with the price of their cars, madness.

The Arteon doesn’t seem to be selling like hot cakes.   I had an email recently from my local Vw Dealer offering c. £11.3k off a higher end Arteon R Line 
So there’d be more if yo really wanted one badly enough. 
My £50k cheque (some chance) would not ever have VW as payee. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NRW said:

The Arteon doesn’t seem to be selling like hot cakes.   I had an email recently from my local Vw Dealer offering c. £11.3k off a higher end Arteon R Line 
So there’d be more if yo really wanted one badly enough. 
My £50k cheque (some chance) would not ever have VW as payee. 

That was a good discount you were offered. It’s a good looking car but definitely not £50,000 worth in my opinion. There are loads of other good cars for that amount of money. DTD currently offer good discounts on the Golf R so as you say there will probably be good discounts to be had from them and dealers at some point down the line.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Encroaching on the territory of proven premium fast execs.... absolute madness.  Know your market VW!

 

Still....will make a good used bargain in a couple of years and will be as rare as a T-Roc convertible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Penguin said:

Encroaching on the territory of proven premium fast execs.... absolute madness.  Know your market VW!

 

Still....will make a good used bargain in a couple of years and will be as rare as a T-Roc convertible. 

 

Yes unfortunately it isn't the market for VW. I think VW could make the transition over time, up their game and stop putting plastic everywhere just make all the components and design really perfect and premium. They need to blow everyone's mind and everyone think's it's crazy and was way expensive and premium in every way. And nobody will buy it except the true VW fans. That is the big risk for VW - I would be first in line to buy a superior quality VW Golf in the future, over an Audi. That would be my dream. But unfortunately the Arteon isn't it for me.

 

I prefer VW to Audi. I just like what I like. I do not see any Audi and consider it better than what I am driving, in the looks department or anything. I just know the materials are nicer inside etc. For what they are I only really like the RS / S3 (hot hatch version) Yeah I like the 4, 6 and 7 (Don't like RS / S5 at all) but I would still take a Golf R wagon over any of those if I wanted a bigger car. My worry for VW is they will be charging 50k and not using good enough materials. It needs to be no complaints anywhere! And then only the true VW fans will buy it, again, just so high risk for VW and I worry they wont make it but hope they do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Current Donation Goals

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...