Hi all,

Quick question around oil temp.

Under 'normal' driving conditions what sort of temps do you ladies and gents see on the MFD?

Once up to temp mine seems to sit around 106/7 degrees C - is this normal?

I'm not getting any errors or any other reason to be concerned I just wanted to know if this was around the right temperature.

It will be getting and the oil and filter changed shortly (Millers NANODRIVE CFS 5w-40 NT+ Full Synthetic) but as I've only had it a week....

Cheers,

Irv

Sent from my fingers

7 minutes ago, ToRnado_R said:

Hi all,

Quick question around oil temp.

Under 'normal' driving conditions what sort of temps do you ladies and gents see on the MFD?

Once up to temp mine seems to sit around 106/7 degrees C - is this normal?

I'm not getting any errors or any other reason to be concerned I just wanted to know if this was around the right temperature.

It will be getting and the oil and filter changed shortly (Millers NANODRIVE CFS 5w-40 NT+ Full Synthetic) but as I've only had it a week....

Cheers,

Irv

Sent from my fingers

Those temps are totally normal, especially in this hot weather we’re having.  Oil temps in the R can range from low 100s to over 116 and higher in some cases.  Once up to temp, mine ranges from a lowest of 103/104° to over 111/112° (in summer months).  There’s a few threads on it as it’s a question quite regularly asked.  

2 minutes ago, ToRnado_R said:

Thanks[mention=19035]Booth11[/mention] and@Djs2394 that's put me at ease a bit also do these gen 3 engines burn oil during normal use?

The reason I ask as when I do the oil/filter should I keep a ltr in the boot just case? (Probably will anyway)

Cheers,

Irv

Sent from my fingers

I keep a litre in the boot just because its a good thing to have. The owners manual will specify what normal oil consumption is but im not sure exactly. I havent noticed any oil consumption in the month ive owned mine. Done aboht 800 miles.

4 minutes ago, ToRnado_R said:

Thanks[mention=19035]Booth11[/mention] and@Djs2394 that's put me at ease a bit also do these gen 3 engines burn oil during normal use?

The reason I ask as when I do the oil/filter should I keep a ltr in the boot just case? (Probably will anyway)

Cheers,

Irv

Sent from my fingers

Not in my experience and I’d say many others on here too.  I always keep a litre of oil in the boot (habit), but in 33k and nearing 5 years I’ve not had to top up the R once (obviously excluding service oil changes).  I check fluids monthly (oil, coolant).  It’s not the norm to have to top up the oil on the 7/7.5 R. 

Iirc, it’s been documented on here by some that it runs a little cooler using Millers Nanodrive CFS 5w-40, so don’t be surprised if it drops a little once you’ve changed oil.  

Yeah I've seen that and had good experiences with Miller's in the past. The cooler the better especially with tuned engines.

And@Booth11 as a male of the species I won't admit to reading the manual

Sent from my fingers

Yeah I've seen that and had good experiences with Miller's in the past. The cooler the better especially with tuned engines.  
And[mention=19035]Booth11[/mention] as a male of the species I won't admit to reading the manual

Sent from my fingers

Don’t forget an engine running too cold is also very bad for the engine. Too cool and the any moisture won’t evaporate.

Personally unless you are stage 3 I would just stick with the recommended oil.

Re oil consumption - mine doesn’t burn a drop.

Is your car tuned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t forget an engine running too cold is also very bad for the engine. Too cool and the any moisture won’t evaporate.

Personally unless you are stage 3 I would just stick with the recommended oil.

Re oil consumption - mine doesn’t burn a drop.

Is your car tuned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get your point although do mean within reason.

AFAIK it's stock tuning wise, Res delete & panel filter when I bought it.

Planning on stage 1 with clutch upgrade after a few additional supporting mods, mostly intake/exhaust although I do fancy a bit of meth/water

Sent from my fingers

10 hours ago, slider09 said:

Yeah agree, too cool oil /transmisson is not optimal at all. 
But water can evaporate at any temp above zero, and with oil it pays to keep it at least as hot as the cooling system (90C) to ensure the water evaporates out faster than it goes in from combustion gases, as well as keeping it as runny as possible whilst still able to lubricate properly. Water is most likely to accumulate in oil with cold starts.

Mine runs around 90C water, 110 is normal hot either summer or winter after 15 or so minutes driving (we don’t usually get quite the cold you do in our winter though we got zero here in Melbourne last night, but a sunny day of 13 was quite OK).

Various recommendations I have seen say ordinary oil can have temps between 110-130 is OK, with full synthetics able to cop higher temps perhaps. 

Being a Yank I monitor oil temperature in Fahrenheit.  The R runs as warm as 232 (111C) and routinely operates in the 220 - 230 range (104 - 110C) during most of the year, maybe a little cooler in winter.  While high quality synthetic oil can handle these temperatures, I change oil and filter every 5K miles as a precaution (VW recommends 10K for its US-spec cars).  Oil changes are cheap protection against potential problems down the road. 

I changed to Millers from OE dealer fit Castrol oil mainly to help on the odd trackday.

TBH I haven’t seen much drop at all as it normally runs at 99-101 with both oils.

On a summer’s day on circuit it can run from 125-131 so I normally swap the oil straight after the track outing.

As Cogito mentions I always swap out my oil every 5k for peace of mind.

Ill probably use Fuchs or Millers Nano dependant on offers or Castrol.

Fitting either a VWR or IE oil cooler is a good idea for trackday warriors but I don’t use it often enough on circuit these days.