Veloce

New Golf R owner

Hi all,

Following a string of Alfa Romeo's, I have bought a 2016 R manual in reflex silver.

Although there is something very special about Alfa's, this Golf is seriously fun to drive and it feels so "solid" if you know what I mean?

No major mods planned, just going to wrap the chrome grill bar gloss black and maybe light blue R badges stickers.

I'm guessing R owners don't really acknowledge each other when passing, I gave a "thumbs up" to a red Golf R this afternoon and the driver gave me a blank look!

I was so used to giving the "Alfa wave" to other Alfa drivers, should I not bother with other golf R drivers?

A couple of pics at my place of work

hjcr7k.thumb.jpg.95452399c77be4cb00915d95989ae069.jpgIMG_20200628_151426.thumb.jpg.bcd37c4b5d65380c0cceb2dae8bf02fe.jpg

Welcome to VWROC!  

:welcome:

What a lovely mk7!  Reflex Silver is such a beautiful colour and shows the 7R off to absolute perfection!  And quite rare colour especially as they discontinued it when the 7.5 came in.

I hope you’re enjoying the car so far.  The mods you’re planning sound like nice touches!  

In the absence of real thumbs up (seems not to be much of a thing amongst R owners! unlike with some other marques) here’s at least a virtual one.  👍

33 minutes ago, Veloce said:

Hi all,

Following a string of Alfa Romeo's, I have bought a 2016 R manual in reflex silver.

Although there is something very special about Alfa's, this Golf is seriously fun to drive and it feels so "solid" if you know what I mean?

No major mods planned, just going to wrap the chrome grill bar gloss black and maybe light blue R badges stickers.

I'm guessing R owners don't really acknowledge each other when passing, I gave a "thumbs up" to a red Golf R this afternoon and the driver gave me a blank look!

I was so used to giving the "Alfa wave" to other Alfa drivers, should I not bother with other golf R drivers?

A couple of pics at my place of work

hjcr7k.thumb.jpg.95452399c77be4cb00915d95989ae069.jpgIMG_20200628_151426.thumb.jpg.bcd37c4b5d65380c0cceb2dae8bf02fe.jpg

Hi,

Made the same swap from an Alfa Romeo Brera 3.2 V6 to a 2016 Golf R DSG in Limestone grey. 

Totally different kettle of fish, loved my Alfa had so much character, the Golf is a well oiled machine tho and I know exactly what you mean by feeling solid.

Welcome & enjoy!

2 minutes ago, Veloce said:

Thanks Djs, had an old 33, 155 V6, 156, 159 then finally Mito. Would have loved the Brera V6 but never even had a ride in one!

You dont see many Brera's even fewer of the V6's. A future classic I think just like the 155GTA and 147GTA's are becomming now! Lovely machines!

As for the waves unfortunately most R owners probably arnt enthusiasts like most Alfa owners are which is understandable considering how many Golf R's there are on the road.

In the 4 years I had my Brera I think I only saw 8-10 other Breras and I dont think any were the V6 version!

Hi & welcome.  Hope you continue to enjoy your R.  
A Brera V6.   Think I’ve only ever seen 1 locally. Black. Nice. 

Silver looks great, quite rare too.   Must be Due for a return to popularity after the Monochrome era. 
I’ll buy. Looks 👍😏

2 hours ago, Veloce said:

Wave to R drivers?  Oh no.  Tried it early in ownership. 
It was like Waving a Machine gun or a Machete. 😂

8 minutes ago, NRW said:

Wave to R drivers?  Oh no.  Tried it early in ownership. 
It was like Waving a Machine gun or a Machete. 😂

Never had an acknowledgement from another R driver (think they’re too aloof! 😁) but did once get a thumbs up from a Focus ST driver. Got to take ‘em where you can get ‘em!  😂

10 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Never had an acknowledgement from another R driver (think they’re too aloof! 😁) but did once get a thumbs up from a Focus ST driver. Got to take ‘em where you can get ‘em!  😂

The ST driver May have been waving to You not the R!😀