Djs2394

Then and now

Evening,

I havent owned many cars in my fairly short car career, passed my test when I was 17, had a 1.6l petrol Ford Focus... honestly not a bad car as my first... heated windscreen, AC but it did have its issues, interior lights would flicker when I dipped the clutch... windscreen wipers sometimes they worked sometimes not so much... 

After 4 years I moved on, always been an Alfa fan bought myself an Alfa Romeo Brera 3.2 V6. Alfa Red, Pan roof, got a custom stainless exhaust fitted, 4 wheel dirve, new headunit with bluetooth capabilities... car wasnt a rocket by oh my the sound track was tremendous, it often turned heads with the 19 inch prodrive wheels. It was fairly pricey to run tho, between 18-21MPG went through tyres like you wouldnt believe and cost £545 a year road tax but I did love owning it.

Now up to date with the MK7 VW Golf R, what a beast, my first turbo'd car and what a sensation, never owned an Auto before and ive really been enjoying how easy it is to drive, with the S2T paddles fitted with the car in manual and race mode its a thrill to drive. I find the front end so much more direct compared to my old Alfa. Although I do think the Brera is more pleasing on the eye (being an Italian coupe this is to be expected) the build quality of the golf, the performance, the practicality, the daily driving costs of tax and fuel are unrivalled. 

I am really enjoying the Golf and im extremely pleased I purchased it!

Unforunately I dont have a pic of my first car! It was dented with two tone silver paintwork haha

IMG_20190515_203928_174.jpg

20200609_132914.jpg

17 minutes ago, Djs2394 said:

Evening,

I havent owned many cars in my fairly short car career, passed my test when I was 17, had a 1.6l petrol Ford Focus... honestly not a bad car as my first... heated windscreen, AC but it did have its issues, interior lights would flicker when I dipped the clutch... windscreen wipers sometimes they worked sometimes not so much... 

After 4 years I moved on, always been an Alfa fan bought myself an Alfa Romeo Brera 3.2 V6. Alfa Red, Pan roof, got a custom stainless exhaust fitted, 4 wheel dirve, new headunit with bluetooth capabilities... car wasnt a rocket by oh my the sound track was tremendous, it often turned heads with the 19 inch prodrive wheels. It was fairly pricey to run tho, between 18-21MPG went through tyres like you wouldnt believe and cost £545 a year road tax but I did love owning it.

Now up to date with the MK7 VW Golf R, what a beast, my first turbo'd car and what a sensation, never owned an Auto before and ive really been enjoying how easy it is to drive, with the S2T paddles fitted with the car in manual and race mode its a thrill to drive. I find the front end so much more direct compared to my old Alfa. Although I do think the Brera is more pleasing on the eye (being an Italian coupe this is to be expected) the build quality of the golf, the performance, the practicality, the daily driving costs of tax and fuel are unrivalled. 

I am really enjoying the Golf and im extremely pleased I purchased it!

Unforunately I dont have a pic of my first car! It was dented with two tone silver paintwork haha

IMG_20190515_203928_174.jpg

20200609_132914.jpg

I absolutely love those Alfa wheels!  😍 Paintwork looks gorgeous. 

That car in the bottom pic’s not too bad either!  😁

7 minutes ago, Veloce said:

This was my last Alfa Romeo, the Mito Veloce 170 TCT

Sadly don't have any pics of the others

IMG_20190801_062331.thumb.jpg.a6edb24e3e66927aa0551e23a7765335.jpg

Those wheels again!  Simply lovely!  

Really nice to see something different here. 😎

11 minutes ago, Veloce said:

This was my last Alfa Romeo, the Mito Veloce 170 TCT

Sadly don't have any pics of the others

IMG_20190801_062331.thumb.jpg.a6edb24e3e66927aa0551e23a7765335.jpg

Lovely! Really wanted my girlfriend to get either a Mito or a Guilietta, a Guilietta TBI would of been great fun... unfortunately she picked a Citroen with a purple roof and purple wing mirror covers haha. 

I was so tempted by a Guilia Veloce before purchasing the Golf.

7 minutes ago, Djs2394 said:

... unfortunately she picked a Citroen with a purple roof and purple wing mirror covers haha.

Well, if we all had the same tastes the world would be a very boring place!

Always had a soft spot for Alfa’s but way back one of my mates had an Alfasud which seemed to be built of rust with a few bits on metal here and there...

Current models look great, but don’t think they feature as future purchases

As the big man Jeremy Clarkson once said

- "you can't be a true petrolhead until you've owned an Alfa Romeo"

Obviously that is just his opinion, no doubt theyre a car built for enthusiasts though. I wasnt around when their reputation wasnt worth the paper it was written on but cars like the GTV6, 156GTA & ofcourse the 8C are amazing cars. A lot of cars including my Brera infact are designed and built in a very famous factory called pininfarina.

Id go back to Alfa without a doubt it was a pleasure to own 😁

1 hour ago, Shug said:

Always had a soft spot for Alfa’s but way back one of my mates had an Alfasud which seemed to be built of rust with a few bits on metal here and there...

Current models look great, but don’t think they feature as future purchases

Ditto and we once had a couple Spiders, (also had a 155 Q4 as well)

my mates sud resulted in forever being an AlphaDud.

i tend to have a Marmite relationship with them.

3 hours ago, Djs2394 said:

had a 1.6l petrol Ford Focus...

Great car to drive and own. Just lacked the additional 105 bhp the chassis would take with little fettling needed.

😀

I once owned a 1970's Alfa berlina 2000 (2L sedan).  Quite advanced for its time (DOHC, 2x2bl carbs, 5 sped manual, 4 wheel discs) and drove very nicely - when it was mobile, which was much less than 50% of the time. 😲:(:(  It seemed that every other time I wanted to take it on a trip it broke down, sometimes within sight of home.

It was the least reliable car I ever owned, and made every other car before and since seem like a paragon of virtue.  From what I've read modern alfas still have some issues.

7 hours ago, gregozedobe said:

I once owned a 1970's Alfa berlina 2000 (2L sedan).  Quite advanced for its time (DOHC, 2x2bl carbs, 5 sped manual, 4 wheel discs) and drove very nicely - when it was mobile, which was much less than 50% of the time. 😲:(:(  It seemed that every other time I wanted to take it on a trip it broke down, sometimes within sight of home.

It was the least reliable car I ever owned, and made every other car before and since seem like a paragon of virtue.  From what I've read modern alfas still have some issues.

I think all cars have issues :D