Djs2394

Then and now

10 hours ago, Djs2394 said:

As the big man Jeremy Clarkson once said

- "you can't be a true petrolhead until you've owned an Alfa Romeo"

I'm sorry but that statement makes me cringe in that so many people who know fk all about cars or have no interest in them and lack imagination have decided to by an Alfa because  a fat man from Donny, with pubes for hair has told them they will instantly be awesome in the eyes of the world.  A point in case, my dk head brother has a Stelvio.  It's interior was made by fisher price, the chrome rings around exhaust trim are bigger than the rear brake discs and he's had no end of electrical issues...but he sleeping with at least 10 models a night and now bumps Lambrini glasses with some high profile people.  The most cringeworthy part is that he's actually quoted JC back at me in order to draw attention away from the Italian elephant in the room; he bought a 5hit car that was seemingly built by former employees of JLR/MG Rover. 

So in short, nothing against Alfa's (they make some nice beautiful cars and were ahead of their time in many regards) my issue with them, is that now people buy them because JC said so.  Let's face it, he knows cack all anyway; every car he buys is either a pig that spends all it's life back at the dealers or he sells the really good ones just before their values sky rocket 😂

I hope I haven't caused offence.  Hopefully people can see my post for what it is, a poorly veiled dig at my nob head brother 🙂

13 minutes ago, Penguin said:

I'm sorry but that statement makes me cringe in that so many people who know fk all about cars or have no interest in them and lack imagination have decided to by an Alfa because  a fat man from Donny, with pubes for hair has told them they will instantly be awesome in the eyes of the world.  A point in case, my dk head brother has a Stelvio.  It's interior was made by fisher price, the chrome rings around exhaust trim are bigger than the rear brake discs and he's had no end of electrical issues...but he sleeping with at least 10 models a night and now bumps Lambrini glasses with some high profile people.  The most cringeworthy part is that he's actually quoted JC back at me in order to draw attention away from the Italian elephant in the room; he bought a 5hit car that was seemingly built by former employees of JLR/MG Rover. 

So in short, nothing against Alfa's (they make some nice beautiful cars and were ahead of their time in many regards) my issue with them, is that now people buy them because JC said so.  Let's face it, he knows cack all anyway; every car he buys is either a pig that spends all it's life back at the dealers or he sells the really good ones just before their values sky rocket 😂

I hope I haven't caused offence.  Hopefully people can see my post for what it is, a poorly veiled dig at my nob head brother 🙂

haha honestly couldn't care less. Friend had a GTV6 with the Alfa logo stitched into the seat headrest upside down and that's what I love about Alfa, I don't expect everyone to agree with me and frankly couldn't care less. I don't think anyone actually needs a huge car like a Stelvio or range rover or Q7 etc etc.. most people who own these cars have them for status. Car companies are profit making businesses and so of course they will tap into a market for people with more money than sense that wish to have the biggest status boosting, ego boosting SUV on the road. Cant fault a company for that..

At least Alfa have stuck to their routes with the V6 twin turbo in the QF range, what a monster that engine is. :D 

28 minutes ago, Djs2394 said:

haha honestly couldn't care less. Friend had a GTV6 with the Alfa logo stitched into the seat headrest upside down and that's what I love about Alfa, I don't expect everyone to agree with me and frankly couldn't care less. I don't think anyone actually needs a huge car like a Stelvio or range rover or Q7 etc etc.. most people who own these cars have them for status. Car companies are profit making businesses and so of course they will tap into a market for people with more money than sense that wish to have the biggest status boosting, ego boosting SUV on the road. Cant fault a company for that..

At least Alfa have stuck to their routes with the V6 twin turbo in the QF range, what a monster that engine is. :D 

That's my point.  You like Alfas and buy them because you love their quirks, styling and engineering etc etc and I respect and totally 'get that', there's a lot to like but so many people who buy them now just because they want to be perceived as awesome or 'a true petrol head'. 

1 hour ago, Penguin said:

I can’t wait for the Full Fat, or No Holds Barred version.😀

I’m on my 25th car since I passed my test back in 2002. I’ve had what I consider some interesting cars over the years, including a BMW Z4M, Mk1 Focus RS and in the early days a Renaultsport Clio 172 Cup.  But my top 5 are:

Audi TTRS

Renaultsport Megane R26

Volkswagen Golf GTI (mk5)

Audi RS3

Porsche 911 C4S (991.2)

The mk7 Golf R is probably the best all round car I’ve ever owned. 

I also have a mk7 Golf TDI DSG bluemotion which I absolutely love...60mpg, comfortable, practical, great tech... And it cost me Just £7k!

23 minutes ago, Doc83 said:

I’m on my 25th car since I passed my test back in 2002. I’ve had what I consider some interesting cars over the years, including a BMW Z4M, Mk1 Focus RS and in the early days a Renaultsport Clio 172 Cup.  But my top 5 are:

Audi TTRS

Renaultsport Megane R26

Audi RS3

Porsche 911 C4S (991.2)

I also have a mk7 Golf TDI DSG bluemotion which I absolutely love...60mpg, comfortable, practical, great tech... And it cost me Just £7k!

Great collection there!  Like an all time favourite car list. Lovely.   You’ve been busy too!

Very high praise indeed from you re the R👍
agree too about a dsg Tdi 2.0.  Another good all round workhorse.  I wanted a new Mk5 GTD 3 dr DSG.  NOPE. No can do.     Got a Audi A3  Sport Tdi 170 DSG instead, only regretted it. 😀

1 hour ago, Doc83 said:

Audi TTRS

Renaultsport Megane R26

Audi RS3

Porsche 911 C4S (991.2)

Some awesome cars there....dream garage contenders.  High praise indeed for the Golf R. 

How did you find the Mk1 Focus RS?  I've never driven one but a mate had one and said he was always worried it was trying to kill him 😂

3 hours ago, Penguin said:

The most cringeworthy part is that he's actually quoted JC back at me in order to draw attention away from the Italian elephant in the room; he bought a 5hit car that was seemingly built by former employees of JLR/MG Rover. 

You might point out to your brother that when 'the fat bloke from Donny' said that the "Stelvio was fantastic", he was talking about the pass, not the car 🤭

On 29/06/2020 at 12:24, Penguin said:

Some awesome cars there....dream garage contenders.  High praise indeed for the Golf R. 

How did you find the Mk1 Focus RS?  I've never driven one but a mate had one and said he was always worried it was trying to kill him 😂

I did like the Focus RS and it turned a lot of heads. But it was quite crude to drive, the clutch was really heavy and it wasn’t very reliable. 
I got the R26 Megane after it and that was honestly on a different level. 

I could of seen me getting the next Golf R as a daily driver but with coronavirus I will probably be working from home more and it would be crazy to waste too much money when I’m now doing just a few thousand miles each year. 

I maintain for those that want performance, get the TTRS.  Mine has been breathed on a bit a tinkered by MRC.  It’s now a 500hp/700nm monster. Car and mods have cost me a touch less than £40k but it has everything I need now.  Great interior, handling and performance.