I know there are is a wide range of types and folk on here. A diverse bunch indeed.

How about start saying “Hi” or whatever to another R you encounter on your travels.  By giving either a Wave or a quick headlight main beam.  (Deliberately avoiding suggesting a flash)

Respond or not as your manners permit. 

or not. 

But it’s okay to do it without a DeathRay stare. 😀

I definitely would if I realised the other car was an R, but I find it difficult to distinguish an R from all the myriad "regular" Golfs I see on our roads.  Unless we are both stationary, the rear view showing the exhausts is the only thing that really stands out from the rest.

I did once have a very short chat at the lights with a bloke taking an R for a test drive, the salesman was well pleased when I told the driver: "Just buy one, you'll be very happy !  "

7 hours ago, gregozedobe said:

I definitely would if I realised the other car was an R, but I find it difficult to distinguish an R from all the myriad "regular" Golfs I see on our roads.  Unless we are both staionary, the rear view showing the exhausts is the only thing that really stands out from the rest.

I did once have a very short chat at the lights with a bloke taking an R for a test drive, the salesman was well pleased when I told the driver: "Just buy one, you'll be very happy !  "

You might accidentally give a wave to an R line Golf.  😱 😂 If the other car is coming front on, apart from the R badge (and I find it easy to distinguish between R and R line badge) I find the intakes (or lack of) the telling feature.  

I at least try to make eye contact with another R driver if they are within range, and wouldn’t be averse to a nod of the head or subtle wave should it feel right and not giving out the wrong message. 😁

5 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

You might accidentally give a wave to an R line Golf.  

I had not thought of that.   Slow traffic / eye contact might be best.   There doesn’t seem to be loads of Rs about up here, or maybe just not when I’m out and about (very rarely  do heavy morning or evening traffic, oh no, keep well away😂😂)

9 minutes ago, NRW said:

I had not thought of that.   Slow traffic / eye contact might be best.   There doesn’t seem to be loads of Rs about up here, or maybe just not when I’m out and about (very rarely  do heavy morning or evening traffic, oh no, keep well away😂😂)

I see a good few Rlines day to day, but still only a small handful of 7/7.5 Rs where I am.  Only seen two R Estates ever.  See a lot of GTDs and an increasing number of GTIs which seem to have exploded in popularity round my way in the last couple years, they outnumber the Rs now.   One thing I am seeing more of is some lovely pristine examples of mk5 GTIs and mk5 R32s.  Obviously cherished cars so I always try and acknowledge those if possible.  

I have had the odd one finger up of acknowledgement from another R on the road but due to where I live I tend to get them more 10mm away from my back bumper 😂 I generally always welcome that though.

1 hour ago, Booth11 said:

I see a good few Rlines day to day, but still only a small handful of 7/7.5 Rs where I am.  Only seen two R Estates ever.  See a lot of GTDs and an increasing number of GTIs which seem to have exploded in popularity round my way in the last couple years, they outnumber the Rs now.   One thing I am seeing more of is some lovely pristine examples of mk5 GTIs and mk5 R32s.  Obviously cherished cars so I always try and acknowledge those if possible.  

That's what I love about my R estate.  There is a white one I see now and again round my way, I have waved at the driver but got the look of "Who are you?" in return.

I can tell MK7 R's from all other Golfs from the front because of the double-U DRLs. They took that distinction away in the 7.5. 

Maybe a forum greeting is winding down the window and asking if the other R driver uses premium or standard unleaded? <5 minute response = not on this forum :D 

I've had a few people in other Rs wave at me - in general I try to give a good reaction. But afterwards I think I probably looked like this to the other driver:

image.png.1202d87c0ae9ec8ed165edb732cef489.png

8 minutes ago, Ignition1 said:

I can tell MK7 R's from all other Golfs from the front because of the double-U DRLs. They took that distinction away in the 7.5. 

It’s such a shame that they dropped the unique headlights on the R. Still one of my favourite things about the 7R those double U lights. A high point in VW R design!  

35 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

It’s such a shame that they dropped the unique headlights on the R. Still one of my favourite things about the 7R those double U lights. A high point in VW R design!  

Yeah agree. My first reaction of having the same DRLs on all performance Golfs was cost-cutting, and I think VW trying to make the models look less hierarchical. I think making an owner of GTI feel their car is less special because they couldn't have some cool feature available on the R is a sure fire way to put someone off parting cash for a GTI.

E.g. single-U if you have a GTI or GTD, but double-U if you have an R...because you're worth it. 

I've seen it a few times in other manufacturers now. Sort of diluting the top-end of a model range's uniqueness by making styling and features on smaller engine cars.

26 minutes ago, Ignition1 said:

Yeah agree. My first reaction of having the same DRLs on all performance Golfs was cost-cutting, and I think VW trying to make the models look less hierarchical. I think making an owner of GTI feel their car is less special because they couldn't have some cool feature available on the R is a sure fire way to put someone off parting cash for a GTI.

E.g. single-U if you have a GTI or GTD, but double-U if you have an R...because you're worth it. 

I've seen it a few times in other manufacturers now. Sort of diluting the top-end of a model range's uniqueness by making styling and features on smaller engine cars.

Yes it’s a crap attitude really. I remember a few mk7 GTI owners trying to sort upgrade to the double U lights but it was no easy or cheap task!  So wasn’t really a thing. I don’t really subscribe to the hierarchical thing and never see the R as higher than GTI or GTD, it’s just another iteration of a performance Golf.  They all have their own merits and audience.  Perhaps that’s in part me coming from a GTI background myself before the R.