Private plates

Just want to gauge opinion on private plates. Im up for getting one (prefer the car dateless),  but the Misses can't see the point in splashing (a little) the cash.

My car is owned and planning on keeping for a while. But as i said to her once you've got the plate its yours to keep/transfer as you wish.

Opinions from real world please. 🤗

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most half decent plates cost a fortune. Just found my one on line, absolute bargain at £55,000   Way cheaper to change your name by deed poll to match whatever’s on the car. 🤪

I've had my private plate on my last 5 cars now and the missus even got one to match. No dodgy spacing, no degree in cryptology needed and it means something to me and to those that know Numbers try

If it actually has something decent, then fine. Like they do in the US.   I would love Huw 1, VWR 310, Or CFC 1905, But if you need a degree in code breaking to work it out as it’s some of y

Posted Images

If it actually has something decent, then fine. Like they do in the US.

I would love Huw 1, VWR 310, Or CFC 1905, But if you need a degree in code breaking to work it out as it’s some of your initials intermixed with other stuff, or dodgy spacing, commas, or fake numbers, just looks pikey..

Round London you see a lot of white Mercs, Lexus soft roaders or BMs with private plates and always the same looking drivers (seems they like their initials to hide the age of the car)...

I would love Huw 1, VWR 310, Or CFC 1905, But if you need a degree in code breaking to work it out as it’s some of your initials intermixed with other stuff, or dodgy spacing, commas, or fake numbers, just looks pikey..

Round London you see a lot of white Mercs, Lexus soft roaders or BMs with private plates and always the same looking drivers (seems they like their initials to hide the age of the car)...
I've had my private plate on my last 5 cars now and the missus even got one to match. No dodgy spacing, no degree in cryptology needed and it means something to me and to those that know

Numbers trying to be letters and vice versa are not for me, I've always kept my cars looking nice and a private plate hiding the year is imo a nice thing to have

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Shug said:

Thats what i want im after doing,hiding the age.

Couldn't go CFC 1905, more like LFC 1892 😉🤣👍🏻

I thought about getting a private plate back when they weren't stupidly expensive where I live, but eventually decided against it because it would be much easier to remember than normal plates.  I'd rather remain more anonymous (harder to remember) in case I was being naughty and someone took exception and wanted to dob me in.

I thought about getting a private plate back when they weren't stupidly expensive where I live, but eventually decided against it because it would be much easier to remember than normal plates.  I'd rather remain more anonymous (harder to remember) in case I was being naughty and someone took exception and wanted to dob me in.
Haha good point Greg... Luckily I am a good boy

I’ve had my plate for about 10 years now and I love it. When I buy a car now its doesn’t feel mine until the plate is on there. Not bothered about hiding the year or anything I just think its a nice personal touch. They’re not for everyone, some people don’t like the idea and others like myself love them. If you like them and want one then get it. Don’t go off what other people think, its your money, your car, so go for it. 

I’ve had my plate for about 10 years now and I love it. When I buy a car now its doesn’t feel mine until the plate is on there. Not bothered about hiding the year or anything I just think its a nice personal touch. They’re not for everyone, some people don’t like the idea and others like myself love them. If you like them and want one then get it. Don’t go off what other people think, its your money, your car, so go for it. 
I think it's the silly ones that try too hard that put people off...

If you want one and it’s something that might make the car feel more yours, or give it a special touch/have some significant meaning then why not.  It’s your car after all.  But as said choose wisely and avoid all those things that can make them look naff. 

Private plates have absolutely no appeal for me personally.  I actually like to see the date/age of a car, and other ways to make to car mine so a private plate not for me. 

I think you’ve probably made your mind up!  😁

20 minutes ago, PRP74 said:

x2 👍🏾

And another 

Thats how it should be, anything related to the car eg “X5” is out too for me.  I love mine, was a wedding present which makes it even more special.  My wife has one on the Golf as well, similar to mine but with her initials.

It hides my cars age, but 3.5 years is the oldest any one has been since I had the plate, so it usually makes them look older....which is fine with me.