E-V-A-N-S

Standard rear discs now come coated

Just picked up a set of standard rear discs from the dealers. To my surprise they are now coated silver from factory. 
I’m going to give them an extra coat of smooth hammerite silver anyway but maybe this will help to stop them rusting as bad. 
F1D7419D-A58B-407B-856B-5ADA4DEB425B.thumb.jpeg.cf79e793902aca81601dc8e2fc297177.jpeg

32ECFC6F-D48E-4A86-89E3-ED2522F80079.thumb.jpeg.832bd05b0e027e3926cad344035bc106.jpeg

148075F0-DF56-4955-A084-D167FCA8980F.thumb.jpeg.89fda028cc4e3378806dcf3a199d9306.jpeg

Nice.  It will be interesting to see if they rust after the first contact with water.  I replaced my rears with Brembo's as they have an anthracite coating on the bells and rim.  So far, no issues.  

Any idea who manufacturers those discs @E-V-A-N-S ?

I’ve just put 5 layers of silver hammerite on so hopefully it’ll hold the rust back a bit 😂

I had a look on the box and can’t find any manufacturing names. Box just says made is Germany with volkswagen part numbers I’ll have another look tomorrow once the paint has dried to see if I can find any manufacturing stamps on the discs. 

32 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

That should do it!  😂 

I'd put another 3 layers on, just to make sure 😂

@E-V-A-N-S out of interested how much are they a set?

I hate that I'm too lazy to sort my rusted hubs out. When I need to replace discs I will be doing so with some that are pre-coated.

1 hour ago, LUG said:

I'd put another 3 layers on, just to make sure 😂

@E-V-A-N-S out of interested how much are they a set?

I hate that I'm too lazy to sort my rusted hubs out. When I need to replace discs I will be doing so with some that are pre-coated.

When I phoned the dealership yesterday they  wanted £92 per disc so I said no chance am I paying that. I asked what’s  the best price they can do on them other wise I’ll just get them elsewhere. He came back with £62 per disc which I didn’t mind paying so it came to £124 in total. Mad how they just knocked £60 off in 30 seconds. 
I always do the same when I book my service too. Say I can get it cheaper elsewhere, not once have they asked for proof and have always honoured the price I say I can get it for 😆

4 hours ago, E-V-A-N-S said:

Mad how they just knocked £60 off in 30 seconds. 

Shy Bairns get nowt.

or in English

If you don’t ask, you don’t get.

Well done.  30% discount.  £60 not to be sniffed at.👍

The discs have always had a geomet coating from factory - just it burns off around the hub and edges in a relatively short time, which then leaves you with that lovely rusty hub look 😐 

Don't think the hammerite is going to adhere well to the geomet.

Geomet btw was developed to be an environmentally friendly water based alternative to traditional coatings.

The words 'environmentally friendly' and  'water based' as always can be replaced by one word -  CRAP

Shy Bairns get nowt.
or in English
If you don’t ask, you don’t get.
Well done.  30% discount.  £60 not to be sniffed at.
But still more expensive than elsewhere... A bit like a DFS sale when you 'save £500' nobody in their right mind would have paid the original price

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

The discs have always had a geomet coating from factory - just it burns off around the hub and edges in a relatively short time, which then leaves you with that lovely rusty hub look  

Geomet btw was developed to be an environmentally friendly water based alternative to traditional coatings.
The words 'environmentally friendly' and  'water based' as always can be replaced by one word -  CRAP
CRAP

Completely
Rusty
After
Pouring down

2 hours ago, SpursMadDave said:

But still more expensive than elsewhere... A bit like a DFS sale when you 'save £500' nobody in their right mind would have paid the original price emoji1787.png

Nobody would buy a new car at full sticker, but it still happens.  @E-V-A-N-S told of his discount after asking, a habit to be encouraged! as any money an R owner an keep can go towards future repairs, mods or maintenance😂

7 hours ago, blower said:

Totally!   Same with house paint.  Water based environmentally friendly eggshell (on woodwork) is CRAP.  One hard stare at it and it scuffs.  The now banished oil based eggshell was excellent stuff, very durable and long lasting.  Greta will be along in a minute to berate me for my yearning for evil oil based paints!  

And, in a former life as a painter (the artistic variety) I always used oil paint (with added linseed) not acrylic.  😁

7 hours ago, blower said:

The discs have always had a geomet coating from factory - just it burns off around the hub and edges in a relatively short time, which then leaves you with that lovely rusty hub look 😐 

Well this has pissed on my chips in more ways than one😂 I hope my hammerite lasts atleast a couple of months! 

I’d seen a few pictures of people on here fit standard rears and never seen or maybe never noticed the coating before, so thought it was something new. Never mind back to rusty hubs it is😫

You’ve probably never seen the coating before on cars on here before as already been replaced by rust. 😁  But that is what they look like new for however short lived it is.  

At least you’ve done your best to give yours a fighting chance with the hammerite and it’ll take a while for the rust to work its way through those 5 coats then the original coating so bought some time. 😊😁

These were mine at just short of two months old (Nov 2015). You can see the original paint coating. 

22848313847_bd0ee44b89_o.jpg

22614017634_bbe1338c4b_o.jpg

Obviously got progressively worse (Feb 2020)
47123670311_ab4b27065e_o.jpg

Finally got round to painting them with Hammerite in this April.  Better late than never!  😁

49745861708_f127cb788b_o.jpg

49746401406_f4c83d408b_o.jpg