Sign in to follow this  
baz2011uk

light scratches in rear glass

since buying the R there has been light scratches on the rear tailgate glass not from the wiper not sure how or what from tho 

i have tried polishing them out but was careful due to heat transfer but had no luck 

anyone got any ideas or products to try 

I had some scratches on the passenger front window when I picked up my used 7R, I also tried the polish method and it didn’t do much either.

I couldn’t find anything that would work apart from replacing it but I’ve just forgotten about it now 😂

Maybe a bit of grit got caught in the wiper. That happens on my last car on the front windscreen and I had a nice big arc scratch.  I just lived with it.  

Was that hand polishing you tried?  As above there are specific glass polishers.  If machine polishing you have to be careful not to create a hollow or fish eye in the glass causing distortion. It’s extreme but can happen. 

4 hours ago, gregozedobe said:

IIRC There are special (quite aggressive) polishes & pads for glass (cerium oxide ?).

For reference I tried the Cerium Oxide with a machine polish and at first it seemed the scratch was less visible but it quickly came back once it was wiped down plus the splatter id the stuff went everywhere 🤯

its been like it since i got the R and have lived with it just one of them things it more noticeable in the right angle and sun 

i tried hand polish and also using the DA not sure what i tried but it wasn't a special glass one thats for sure 

i may give the Cerium Oxide a try you never know i maybe lucky any recommendation on pad to go with it 

15 hours ago, baz2011uk said:

do you have a link to the kit might give it a try, thanks 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124263698531

It was near enough a kit like this and at the time I just used an electric drill, if you do go ahead with it be mindful that the mix of cerium oxide splatters all over the car so have the jet wash ready 😂