Missed chatting in here, miss my R too

Hey guys, hope you’re all doing well.  The last time I was here, I had just sold my mk7 R and bought a R32 which I thought was fantastic until my mechanic put it up in the air, needed lots spending on it so it was returned back to the garage in Cardiff.  Since then, I’ve been through a few cars and have found that the R is as everybody says, the ultimate all rounder.  I’ve bought a beautiful R32, 3dr, Shadow Blue, manual with 56k miles on it, loving this car.  I’m now setting my sights on another R and wanted your thoughts on whether it should be a mk7 or 7.5, despite being a manual gearbox lover, I think the DSG on the R really suits it, your thoughts if you don’t mind please

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey guys, it me or can you not get a 3dr in a 7.5 R, I’ve always preferred 3dr to 5dr but haven’t seen a single 3dr for sale.  If this is the case, I’ll test drive a 5dr to see if I can get on with it

I'd go 7.5 if you have already had a 7. The little upgrades here and there would make it feel a little different I would think. 

Hey guys, hope you’re all doing well.  The last time I was here, I had just sold my mk7 R and bought a R32 which I thought was fantastic until my mechanic put it up in the air, needed lots spending on

Posted Images

I don’t know about the 7.5 as I’ve never driven one but I prefer the old analogue dials myself! Plus, when I ordered my 16 plate, it had to be the “classic” hot hatch for me - three doors, manual gearbox. I actually think these might hold their prices better than they used to as there’s not many about but it’s personal choice. Whatever R you get though, it’ll be a great car!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

E92 M3 - was manual, loved it, thou the gearbox always made it seem a little hard work, M135i, 8 speed zf auto, first dip into a non-manual gearbox. WOW eyes opened overnight. Then it was the M4 DCT loved it, thou not the smoothest of box, unless on full chatter, then it just worked. Now just got the 7.5R with DCT, It is a seriously smooth piece of kit that works when pootling or when pressing on. Not given it full chatter yet as only 300 miles in, but so far very very nice indeed..

Welcome back Shakeel!  

Your R32 sounds very nice, please post some pics up.  

Agree with BobbyT.  As you’ve already had a mk7, it makes sense to go for a 7.5 this time and enjoy the changes and it should feel sufficiently different to your old R.    

Are you keeping the R32?  If so you’ll have the best of both worlds! 

Hey guys, it me or can you not get a 3dr in a 7.5 R, I’ve always preferred 3dr to 5dr but haven’t seen a single 3dr for sale.  If this is the case, I’ll test drive a 5dr to see if I can get on with it and if not it will have to be a 3dr mk7, whilst I’m at it I’ll see if I can drive a manual & DSG even though from memory I’m pretty much certain that most people in here have said the clutch on a manual is weak.  I’m keeping the R32 as my other cars have been sold, there is the fact that I absolutely love it too, it’s not always about the speed for me, IMO R32’s have plenty of soul & character which lots of modern cars lack.

0C2862CC-DDDA-4485-B3DC-8E9002ECA346.jpeg.4783b912c61ad0269c2a76046f551214.jpeg 

18 minutes ago, Shakeel said:

Hey guys, it me or can you not get a 3dr in a 7.5 R, I’ve always preferred 3dr to 5dr but haven’t seen a single 3dr for sale.  If this is the case, I’ll test drive a 5dr to see if I can get on with it and if not it will have to be a 3dr mk7, whilst I’m at it I’ll see if I can drive a manual & DSG even though from memory I’m pretty much certain that most people in here have said the clutch on a manual is weak.  I’m keeping the R32 as my other cars have been sold, there is the fact that I absolutely love it too, it’s not always about the speed for me, IMO R32’s have plenty of soul & character which lots of modern cars lack.

@Shakeel; that looks like one really smart R32 😎. Love it, although cleaning those wheels with all those spokes must be a labour of love. 

1 hour ago, Shakeel said:

I like that!  

2 hours ago, Shakeel said:

3 door MK7.5 R's are out there. Mine is a 3 door Lapiz Blue. There does seem to be more 5 door ones on the market though. I do suggest you go for the MK7.5 not that the MK7 is a bad car by any means just feel it has a little edge over the MK7.

Good luck on your search👍

Having owned a MK7 R before my current 7.5, both US-spec models, I think you'll be happy either way.  Why not look at what's available in the best possible condition with the specs you want and buy whichever turns up?  When I went from 7 to 7.5 I shared Camel's concern about losing the analog gauges but got used to the electronic display pretty quickly. 

Beautiful R32 and paintwork! The sound alone is worth it.

In my view - the best Golf R you can get is a MK7.5 Pre-OPF (a.k.a. Pre-WLTP) with the optional Akrapovic exhaust. That version had the most powerful engine - 310PS - and also has the loudest sound as it didn't have to comply with the EU noise regulations and quietened more with an OPF filter.

If you can't get one of them. Then probably a MK7.5 with OPF - fit an aftermarket exhaust instead. Stock is 300PS so you're not losing much anyway. The MK7 (what I have) is still fine of course - analogue dials and distinct double-U DRLs are the main differences. Oh, and that you can get a MK7 manual 3dr... 7.5s are DSG only.