On 31/07/2020 at 07:43, GrayMK7R said:

Tyres with soft sidewalks - like MPS4S really improve the ride on 19s 

This.

@PRP74  I think it’s well worth considering trying a better tyre with a softer sidewall before swapping out wheels entirely.   I’m on 19” Prets (DCC car) and found just a move from Conti 5P tyres (which are good tyres but unforgiving on poor roads and noisy) to Michelin PS4S made a big difference. A much more comfortable ride, noticeably better impact absorption of potted and rough roads, and find them quieter too.  I’m in the south east and the roads are absolutely crap round my way but PS4S does make for a more compliant ride over some tyres.  There’s often good deals on them (check out the Tyre deals thread).  

What tyres have you got at the moment on your 19s?  Are you on oem Prets or reps?What tyre pressures are you running?  DCC?  All helps to know what your current setup is.  :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I managed to get some genuine Prets with PS4s from another forum member, Dan (Degs). Great service from him and it was a pleasure to meet him and his wife today. The Prets are on the car and I did hav

Lol. My bad. Yeah PS4s all the way 😊

My view.. I’m non- DCC, which makes a difference.  Pretorias on mine with Continental 5s.    Firm always.  Noises on some road surfaces, at times, pretty intolerable for me.  General performance

Posted Images

I had 18" wheels with Bridgestone tyres and then swapped to 18" wheels with Michelin crossclimates and noticed an improvement in ride.

recently got some 19" CM Pret reps with Michelin  PS4S and ride has improved a little more so tyres as well as wheel size are important imho

I've also got DCC but have not changed the settings at all.

hth

7 hours ago, Booth11 said:

What tyres have you got at the moment on your 19s?  Are you on oem Prets or reps?What tyre pressures are you running?  DCC?  All helps to know what your current setup is.  :)

I haven’t bought the Prets yet. Unfortunately the deal hasn’t gone a head yet, so still on the look out. I do have DCC, which makes a big difference. 

When I went from Bridgestone to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus on my MK7 R with 18" Cadiz, road noise was reduced, ride improved, and handling was at least as good for street use.  My current MK7.5 with Continentals on 19" Prets and DCC rides and handles okay but I miss the Michelins and will eventually install a set.  I agree with those who say tires are more important than wheels/wheel size.   

Some really good recommendations guys. My current set up is Cadiz with Avon tyres - bought like that from VW in May and the tyres have around 6mm. But will look into Bridgestone’s. With DCC the ride is not that bad, but there some serious pot holes and crappy roads around here. 

Just on the hunt for some Prets, but just getting advice if it’s worth the change. 

Some really good recommendations guys. My current set up is Cadiz with Avon tyres - bought like that from VW in May and the tyres have around 6mm. But will look into Bridgestone’s. With DCC the ride is not that bad, but there some serious pot holes and crappy roads around here. 

Just on the hunt for some Prets, but just getting advice if it’s worth the change. 
I think you read it wrong, Bridgestone are not great at all. You can get Michelle. MP4 in 18" much better tyre

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, PRP74 said:

Sadly, US potholes are just as ferocious as UK.  I've experienced pothole-related damage with the Prets and actually had to replace a demolished Cadiz.  Bigger and softer sidewalls may help a little, but neither wheel design offers much resilience to seriously deteriorating roads.   Skip the Bridgestones, look into Michelin. 

17 minutes ago, PRP74 said:

Lol. My bad. Yeah PS4s all the way 😊

Yes skip the Bridgestones....Tombstones.....Flintstones.......Sh!tstones!  😁

As for your existing setup it sounds like wether you keep your Cadiz or go with Prets, Michelin’s will be a massive improvement all round.  Let us know what you decide.  

I moved from Cadiz with GY Eagle F1 ass3 to 19” Pret (reps) with MPS4S. Slight difference in ride between the two. The only time I really notice the difference is when driving up home; road surface changes from tarmac to block paving and there is a slight ridge / bump between the two surfaces.

Obviously, hitting a pot hole shakes your fillings out regardless of wheel / tyre combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk