Matt7R

7.5R Indium Wagon

Not sure if it's of interest to many, but I'm doing mainly small cosmetic changes to my 7.5R at the moment. It's spanking new, so I need to consider the warranty and probably won't do much to the performance until it's a bit older.

I'm always on the hunt for new cosmetic upgrades though, so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

The stock look was very monotone, with just grey, black and chrome. I decided I wanted to add a bit of colour to it, but in a subtle way. I toyed with the idea of yellow as I rather like the grey and yellow combo, but there's a lack of yellow accessories and cosmetic mods. Instead, I went with red.

But before that, I read up a lot on this forum and started with many of the 'standard' cosmetic upgrades most of you probably have:

Door latch plates, lockwood sill plates and a proper foot rest. 26d2619ac8274293920786b197281a69.jpg6b7cde9461ed35815bd2e61b416ea320.jpgbc1a04fa5742f87a12a93db70b813bdc.jpg

---------------------------------------------

Come on, get up. Let me see your bruises.

The standard floor mats are crap, which was a bit of a surprise to be honest. I found these rubber ones (I have a dog and walk him every day, so the floor mats get filthy in the winter). It's a real shame the R is in white and not red. If anyone knows of some decent rubber mats with the R in red, please let me know 8101a7009e85df9f0c7edf83bf9eeae9.jpg2d2c23b884bf9961998b92999bb03fa2.jpg

Nice little cosmetic mods.  Have you thought about swapping the footwell LEDs out for red ones, if not done already?  Think you can get plug and play lights that are a direct swap, I know you can get blue so expect red would be available.  If not you can always do the slightly longer version mod.  https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/13007-mk7-r-how-to-replace-white-footwell-leds-with-blue-leds/

For mats with Red logos, have a look at Sootchuckers mats in this thread, his is a gti but obviously you’d be able to spec R logo.  

The spoiler was really lacklustre, especially so on the estate model. The car is long anyway, and the stock spoiler makes the back end just kind of.. fade out into nothing.

I did a lot of research, and nearly pulled the trigger on the Oettinger, but it was just a bit too strong for my tastes (no offence to anyone that has one, it does look cool).

I settled on the Maxton, and went ahead and got the v3. After ordering it, I then decided I actually preferred the two wing look of the v2, but it was too late by then. The order had been dispatched.

It arrived and I went to do a dry fit. Disaster - I had ordered the Hatch v3 thinking it must fit the estate because there is no mk7.5 estate one listed on the site. I went back to the store and checked - there definitely wasn't a 7.5 estate version, but there was a mk7 estate version. I did some research, and found one person on the forum confirming that the mk7 estate version fit his mk7.5. And as if it was karma, it was the v2 style I actually preferred. I ordered it, and once I got it and the dry fit worked, sent back the other one. I lost out on the delivery charge here and back, but oh well.

Fitting it was easy, and I have to say I really like the carbon fibre look agadir the indium grey. It's also that right balance of subtle but with a little flair to make the rear end more interesting. Let me know what you guys think.

c7f5496806669cc890e231a8524f537c.jpg32797db9a3d5c9cc7cdb9c14e612bd87.jpg

Nice little cosmetic mods.  Have you thought about swapping the footwell LEDs out for red ones, if not done already?  Think you can get plug and play lights that are a direct swap. If not you can always do the slightly longer version mod. 

For mats with Red logos, have a look at Sootchuckers mats in this thread, his is a gti but obviously you’d be able to spec R logo.  

Thanks Booth.

It's a good shout - I had considered the foot well lights in red, but I was worried that the example ones I've seen are quite dark light, and look a bit... How can I say... Hooker-ish?!

Regarding the mats, I had seen that thank you. When I checked the carmats4u site, I couldn't seem to find that perfect combination of: rubber mats, red edging / stitching and red proper R logo. I've found lots that do two of the three, but not all three

On to a bit of colour! I placed an order with badgeskins, as they have been highly rated by loads of you. Unfortunately, after placing the order and waiting a couple of weeks, I had no communication from them to say the order was being processed or even dispatched. I checked the website again, and they state there is a 3 of 4 week delay due to Covid, and that's without the extra delay of posting from the US.

I did a bit more research and came across a recommendation for ezmods. I checked them out and they had pretty much everything I wanted, and they were a bit cheaper than badgeskins too. I placed an order, and they arrived within a day or two.

I was a bit concerned that they might not be as good quality as the badgeskins ones, but I've been very impressed so far.

I set to work applying them, which was very easy - mainly thanks to my ryobi battery heat gun.

I'm chuffed with the decals - I think they add just the right touch of colour, but keep it classy. Feel free to disagree - I know many people might think that adding any 'stickers' to a £40k car is a bit silly 98d5a25b4dcd2637212cd31c129fd1da.jpg4c224de3fe61e82ec441d8ef41fb1859.jpgbb09213f0963659ec0dc3e445f485886.jpga9a62b58cdfeb95dcba24d6a591dad84.jpg

5 minutes ago, Matt7R said:

Thanks Booth.

It's a good shout - I had considered the foot well lights in red, but I was worried that the example ones I've seen are quite dark light, and look a bit... How can I say... Hooker-ish?! emoji1787.png

Regarding the mats, I had seen that thank you. When I checked the carmats4u site, I couldn't seem to find that perfect combination of: rubber mats, red edging / stitching and red proper R logo. I've found lots that do two of the three, but not all three emoji25.png

The word you’re looking for is “ricey”. 😂. I know this because when I had a mk6 gti and was keen on doing the red lights footwell mod (red bring the gti colour), research brought that description up a lot on forums.  😁   But.....I went with my heart and did fit red footwells and I thought they looked great!  Not a hooker in sight!  😂   

I do know what you mean though and they are not to everyone’s taste.   I’ve not seen many red ones in a mk7 R but plenty in gti and gtds met with varying enthusiasm (or not) on forums. Personal taste as with most things.  

I must say though that I do much prefer the blue footwell leds to the red ones but for me that’s because it’s the signature R colour.  

It’s a shame you can’t source the mats just as you want them.  Maybe keep searching. 

You're almost convincing me - I may get some of the leds and see how they look.

If only it was as easy to replace the blue light strips in the doors

14 minutes ago, Matt7R said:

You're almost convincing me - I may get some of the leds and see how they look.

If only it was as easy to replace the blue light strips in the doors emoji848.pngemoji848.png

Not an R but once again @Sootchucker’s former gtd.  I think the red footwells look great!  Gives you the idea. 

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=262034.0

For a bit of subtle colour higher up and to cover the hideous airbag warning on the sun visor, how about some airbag stickers with the R in red.  Badgeskins do them and you can customise the background, text and logo colour and finish.  I’ve got them in mine just in black, see in here https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/10839-thoughts-on-the-r-becs-dbp/?do=findComment&comment=288319.  They’ve been in years and still like new.   Someone on here a few years back did have them with the R logo I’d red I recall and they looked great.  There’s a pic in this thread but this was before he fitted them and they still had the plastic backing on but gives you an idea. https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/17188-what-non-performance-enhancing-mods-have-you-done-to-your-r-2/?do=findComment&comment=287631 

EZmods do airbag stickers too but not sure if you can customise them as much. 

I like your taste with the red R stickers 👍  (but that might because I have them on my white wagon - like you I was looking for a little extra colour lift , but it had to be subtle).  I also have wolfsburg badged wheel centres with a red wolf, so that added a little splash of colour to my Prets (unfortunately they were slightly undersized, but a little bit of two sided tape fixed that problem).

As with all cosmetic mods very personal taste wise, you will no doubt find some you do will look awesome and some will maybe not look so good... Plenty to look at on here and get ideas.
Glad you found ezmods I have got a few bits from Zach and always quick fldelivery and excellent quality... I hope you used the discount code too

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

As with all cosmetic mods very personal taste wise, you will no doubt find some you do will look awesome and some will maybe not look so good... Plenty to look at on here and get ideas.
Glad you found ezmods I have got a few bits from Zach and always quick fldelivery and excellent quality... I hope you used the discount code too

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Very true - I tried some red stripes on the DSG stick from ezmods, but they looked horrendous so I took them off

I didn't know there was a discount code either!

Nice touches so far. I recently started a thread on my 7.5 estate. 

Where did you get your mats? I really like them. 
Thanks!

I got the mats from ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273755531609

They're great, aside from the lack of red

I like your taste with the red R stickers   (but that might because I have them on my white wagon - like you I was looking for a little extra colour lift , but it had to be subtle).  I also have wolfsburg badged wheel centres with a red wolf, so that added a little splash of colour to my Prets (unfortunately they were slightly undersized, but a little bit of two sided tape fixed that problem).
Thanks!

I've seen Batch's painted centre caps and am tempted to do the same - the trouble is there's no going back once you've done it (or not easily at least). I might try the badgeskins decals instead