OOV

Been feeling down lately...

On 01/08/2020 at 11:43, OOV said:

Thanks everyone, lovely supportive group we have here! And yes I read about 20 pages of the Joke thread earlier and I couldn't stop giggling! 😂

A read of the jokes thread will improve any day!! I'm new on here and had a quick read the other day!! I laughed for hours!!!

I find keeping yourself occupied if you are having a bad day always helps. Always remember tomorrow is a new day!!

On 01/08/2020 at 12:23, Booth11 said:

I fell arse over tit down onto hard surface and managed to break an arm and bashed up my body in a few places.  I’ll fix over time. Missing driving though.  

Good to have you back posting on here Stephen, and really glad the joke thread is providing some needed giggles.  Laughing is very good medicine.  And it’s free!  Forum is not the be all and end all but there’s always someone knocking about day and night and at any time there’s plenty to read and enjoy about all our shared R interests and much more. 

Hope you’re doing ok mate.  :)

Oh dear (arse over tit haha, should laugh but.. !!) sounds really bad though, was that a fall at height then? Or trying something crazy like going down a hill on a skateboard??

And thanks once again 🙂🙂 I'll be OK 

Oh dear (arse over tit haha, should laugh but.. !!) sounds really bad though, was that a fall at height then? Or trying something crazy like going down a hill on a skateboard??

And thanks once again I'll be OK 
She says, garage related... rumour is parkour

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Gavras said:

I debated putting this in a separate thread, however I feel obliged to semi hijack @OOV thread.

There is reams of cases and studies on forces mental health and well-being, it’s fairly well known certain organisations tend to have higher PTSD than society at large.

previously I have worked as a volunteer at centres that provide help and support for various issues, from homelessness, addiction and mental health etc.

That and nearly 30 years in Forces meant I was fairly confident or at least aware on how to handle challenges that life throws at you lol.

rewind to January, my dad dies suddenly (mass bleed on brain, so quiet and painless), great start to 2020, surely things can’t get worse...

Move forward to late February early March, I get informed that my team and me are to be made redundant and we start first round off discussions.

Yes definitely redundant, no transfer etc.

Then in walks Covid (or Corona as it was then with all the jokes, oh how we don’t laugh now).

the entire redundancy thing is kept on hold, majority of company put on furlough, however I am not and keep working.

this means I am not required (redundancy) but I am needed as not on furlough, no mixed messages they lol.

move forward again to say Late April May, when things were really grim, well my mum has Alzheimer's (diagnosed the other year), she suddenly deteriorates and in normal circumstance would end in a care home, however with Covid, that would be a death sentence, so my sister takes her in.

i decide to force things with redundancy and push for a decision, as we are sitting in limbo.

eventually a decision is made and we can seek work and still get redundancy.

this means (including notice period), I am redundant from September..

if anyone is still reading (apologies), that is pretty crap stuff.

now the decent bit.

i was told just before late May bank holiday I was officially irrevocably redundant to requirements.

that same day I applied for a job (Thursday 21st), then had interview the following week, was told on the Friday I had the Job.

i started my new job 1st July (really good company and people, excellent wage).

i am still being paid (3 months full wage) by my previous employer and also my current, bit of a bonus.

What has this to do with mental health... hmmm a fair bit.

its been a bit of an emotional roller coaster, however with support from wife, daughter I have kept relatively focused.

its really important to have an outlet, something that allows your mind to reset.

this will vary from person to person, however focusing on things, believing on light at end of tunnel, accepting the situation, working out what you can change and what cannot be changed is important.

I really apologies over length of thread and the blatant high jacking.

Life goes on, always try to remain positive, adopt coping and release strategies, if required seek support, talk about things, don’t bottle things up.

https://www.combatstress.org.uk/mental-health-support-during-covid-19

one of the biggest issues that will come out of Covid, the lockdown, furlough, redundancies, stressed And stretched uniform services with various levels of PTSD, is mental health. At times we have that Victorian attitude to it like we do with sex etc, it’s time to talk about the dog and let it out.

Hi Gavras, absolutely fine to hijack, I appreciate some of the attention coming off me haha. 

Sorry to hear of the loss of your dad. And all the stresses of the work situation, but sounds like you're onto something good with the new job. 

My 'feeling down' is in the genre of heartbreak, so I was a bit embarrassed to talk about it. But there you go. In other news my grandfather is dying and all the family are taking in turns to look after him and my gran. But I understand this is part of life and I don't mind going there to help my gran. I like to actually.

Keeping my mind busy, great tips on here. I'm thinkng of taking up language learning again. But having a broken heart can be hard to talk about, so many people can relate to it, but it's still embarrassing to admit. 

So, yeah forget that I said any of that. It's all good, got it all figured out.... aha 😭

💪

Hi Gavras, absolutely fine to hijack, I appreciate some of the attention coming off me haha. 

Sorry to hear of the loss of your dad. And all the stresses of the work situation, but sounds like you're onto something good with the new job. 

My 'feeling down' is in the genre of heartbreak, so I was a bit embarrassed to talk about it. But there you go. In other news my grandfather is dying and all the family are taking in turns to look after him and my gran. But I understand this is part of life and I don't mind going there to help my gran. I like to actually.

Keeping my kind busy, great tips on here. I'm thinkng of taking up language learning again. But having a broken heart can be hard to talk about, so many people can relate to it, but it's still embarrassing to admit. 

So, yeah forget that I said any of that. It's all good, got it all figured out.... aha

Doesn't make it easier but we have almost all been there at some time or another, some more than others I'm sure

27 minutes ago, SpursMadDave said:

She says, garage related... rumour is parkour emoji6.png

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.....rumour is false.........was trying out a new TikTok dance. 😉   Obviously didn’t go well.  😁

34 minutes ago, OOV said:

And thanks once again 🙂🙂 I'll be OK 

I imagine it looked pretty comical but didn’t feel it. 😁  Thankfully no one around to video it and shove it on YouTube!  😅  Not from a great height but from a stepped up doorway downwards onto unforgiving paving. I should sue the council but it was my own back garden. 😁 

Keep driving, smiling and laughing Stephen.  😊

8 minutes ago, OOV said:

Keeping my mind busy, great tips on here. I'm thinkng of taking up language learning again. But having a broken heart can be hard to talk about, so many people can relate to it, but it's still embarrassing to admit. 

So, yeah forget that I said any of that. It's all good, got it all figured out.... aha 😭

💪

As I said we still tend to have these ‘Victorian’ values about life, death, sexuality etc.

its a bit like going to the toilet, everyone does it, we all have different experiences every time we go.

the same with emotional things, it hits everyone in different ways, our emotional chemistry is wired differently from person to person.

I have been relatively lucky (from my emotional stance), pretty much everyone I know has died suddenly, my grandfather died in front of me when I was 15 (massive stroke), had mates shot, blown up etc. 

To me the advantage of the sudden, is that you go from shock to grief very quickly and then acceptance, whereas the slow stuff you have that huge emotional journey, which includes its own bit of shock, grief and acceptance, so a bit of a double whammy.

there is also an element of guilt, which can be hard to face and that we feel guilty about things we could not have changed. Facing up to that guilt is really key in managing any depression as well.  it’s all part of that bucket life gives you, where we keep our wishes and regrets, we all have one.

it’s a great idea to learn new languages at the moment, we had a works training session from day one of lockdown, taking advantage of different nationalities, I decided to try and learn some English.

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 11:35, Leespo said:

if you want a laugh and some decent car reviews I find these guys amazing and their intros are something else.

shame its American but cant have everything

https://www.youtube.com/c/ThrottleHouse

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hey, I resemble that remark!  Agree ThrottleHouse is entertaining and well-informed but for whatever reason (age? habit?) I prefer to read about the topics they cover than view them.  I've subscribed to a range of car (and commercial vehicle) enthusiast magazines for half a century and sometimes marvel that the printed page still exists, though several titles have succumbed to the pandemic.  My favorite survivor is UK's CAR.  Some US publications have their moments of inspiration, but none seems to sustain CAR's overall level of excellence.  Glad forum members are able to let their hair down in these stressful times.  It helps put our shared humanity in perspective, something you won't find on the nightly news.   

55 minutes ago, Cogito said:

Hey, I resemble that remark!  Agree ThrottleHouse is entertaining and well-informed but for whatever reason (age? habit?) I prefer to read about the topics they cover than view them.  I've subscribed to a range of car (and commercial vehicle) enthusiast magazines for half a century and sometimes marvel that the printed page still exists, though several titles have succumbed to the pandemic.  My favorite survivor is UK's CAR.  Some US publications have their moments of inspiration, but none seems to sustain CAR's overall level of excellence.  Glad forum members are able to let their hair down in these stressful times.  It helps put our shared humanity in perspective, something you won't find on the nightly news.   

I find some of the Car & Driver editor's responses to reader's correspondence are very amusing & on point.  I'm less impressed at some of their graphic attempts to show comparison data.  Overall it is good enough to continue my (discounted) subscription, along with UK Car (my only two regular magazine subscriptions).