ZYX

First time Volkswagen owner in Norwich

Greetings folks,
Just a quick "Hello" to introduce myself as a Newbie in Norwich, Norfolk, UK.
I collected my 2019 (69) Mk 7.5 TSI EVO R-Line 1.5 auto on 1st August (today), from VW dealer Vertu in North Nottingham. This is not only my first Golf, but actually my first ever Volkswagen.
This replaces a 47,000 mile January 2013 (62) Mazda 3 1.6 Venture, which I bought in January 2016 at 3 years old / 1 owner / 30,000 miles. It's been good as gold - but after four and a half years with it, I fancied a change - and an automatic.
(My BMW is automatic, as is my wife's little Mazda 2).
I will be looking to join runs out in group convoy in and around Norfolk once we get our glorious UK summer.
Feel free to message me.
Stay safe y'all
"ZYX"

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

Welcome to the forum!  And to VW and Golf ownership.  

:welcome:

Congrats on your new car. Car is looking well.  Nice wheel and colour combo.  For the most part on here we are R hatch and R Estate owners of the 2.0 TSI AWD variety but plenty of shared things with other Golfs and the R-Line.  

OK thanks Rebecca, just had a look through your flickr pics - I like the R-Line callipers. Might have to get some of those - in red. I've also ordered a set of the floor mats as advised on here also, but with red logo and thread.

Take care😎

ZYX

Thank you for your kind welcome. I STILL haven't washed the car yet, due to my injured knee making me walk like an 80 year old man; but once I have, I'll take some arty pics and post them here.

The car never failed to impress on the drive home from Nottingham to Norwich. I am delighted with the smooth yet sharp ride and handling, the light but precise steering, and the auto stop/start that senses when the car in front moves away and re-starts itself.

In the meantime, here is a photo of my other little toy - a 2005 BMW E46 325 Ci-Sport auto, on 55,000 miles. She lives in the garage and only comes out when it's dry and bright - but it's such a treat and a pleasure to drive her when she does come out.

More to follow when I can walk without the aid of a stick.....!

DSCN1778_LI.jpg

^^Looks great!  And perfect car for a sunny summers day!  Hope you’ve been enjoying some time in it in the great weather we’ve had lately.  

Great to hear the R impressed on the drive home.  That’s a good start!  😁  Not so good about your injured knee!  Hope that heals well.  Stop/start is a bit Marmite.  I hate it and disabled it with OBDeleven but lots of people find it great in traffic.  

Look forward to seeing the photos of your new R once you’re ready wash and reveal!  😊

To be honest, I'm something of a technophobe, and I hated stop/start in my wifes 2015 facelift Mazda 2. However, I decided I should just go with it, and adapt, so I've decided to keep it switched on and active in the Golf, and I'm already used to it.

I struggle with change, and with technology (I'm Aspergers) and generally keep with things as they are. For example, I don't own a smart phone, or an ipad (or an ipod for that matter) and am not on ANY social media; never have been, never will be. So I'm a bit of an oddity, in many respects!

But very occasionally, even I realise it is time to change and go with the flow. And once I have, I usually wonder why I didn't change long ago....!

11 minutes ago, ZYX said:

To be honest, I'm something of a technophobe, and I hated stop/start in my wifes 2015 facelift Mazda 2. However, I decided I should just go with it, and adapt, so I've decided to keep it switched on and active in the Golf, and I'm already used to it.

I struggle with change, and with technology (I'm Aspergers) and generally keep with things as they are. For example, I don't own a smart phone, or an ipad (or an ipod for that matter) and am not on ANY social media; never have been, never will be. So I'm a bit of an oddity, in many respects!

But very occasionally, even I realise it is time to change and go with the flow. And once I have, I usually wonder why I didn't change long ago....!

I don’t thing you’re an oddity.  I can well understand you keeping things as they are and in such a way that you’re comfortable and familiar with.  With some things I’m not too dissimilar myself and I have a daughter that is similar in resistance to change and with some things she needs quite a lot of time to get used to change and new things, plenty of forewarning and reassurance.  When I was changing my last car (to the R) she really struggled with that and was extremely upset about it but in time accepted the new.  

Some of the tech in these cars is brilliant.  I was dreading losing a ratchet handbrake when I got mine, especially as I’d driven another car with it and hated it, but have found the Autohold and electronic handbrake to be a revelation. Especially with DSG.  

This forum might just count as social media, but it is at least social media with a purpose and shared interest that keeps things grounded, unlike those social media sites that lack such an anchor and become rather ridiculous places.  Of all social media it’s a pretty good place.  

As promised, here are some fresh photos taken today, after I gave her a wash and valet with Meguiars products. The air deflectors won't be to everyone's taste, but they are something I've added to all my cars for several years, purely for aesthetics.

DSCN2266.JPG

DSCN2268.JPG

DSCN2269.JPG

DSCN2271.JPG

DSCN2273.JPG

DSCN2276.JPG

DSCN2277.JPG