New Mk8 GTI - Autogefühl review, summed up nicely

Saw all the AutoCar and Autogefuhl reviews over the weekend.

Does anyone remember MK6-owner reactions to when the MK7 came out? Was it more positive or negative?

As a MK7 owner - the new MK8 has nothing appealing to me. I like the screens - e.g. bigger, shinier etc. - but hate that they're touchscreen and all the buttons are touch-only. But also that does seem to be a trend that nearly all manufacturers from top to bottom are doing. Although some are keeping them real but stylish, and doing very well because of it - e.g. Porsche...and Peugeot!

Apart from that there is so much wrong with the GTI MK8 - those fog lights are yuck, not even the same light hue as the headlights?! General cost cutting. Styling is too boxy for my liking.

Then again, I did see these photos of the MK8 R and it does look quite nice (if these are genuine?!)...at least they didn't stick "R" fog lights on it:

image.png.31d6e022b4e9c431c7b4fd966aea2e26.png

image.png.5c2b8b2fd990d928d48a84196be7d969.png

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes Thomas - this new generation is just bollocks.   -Slower than previous generation (0-60 etc) -Tacky fog lights that look like they came straight from halfords. -Huge honeycomb

VW meeting room in the secret lair within the hidden recesses of the Schwarzwald.   https://newsabc.net/bugging-scandal-at-vw-secret-meetings-leaked-at-volkswagen-2/   VW chairman

Stop sitting on the fence!!! Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Ignition1 said:

Does anyone remember MK6-owner reactions to when the MK7 came out? Was it more positive or negative?

I remember Mil when Mk7 GTIs were announced And went on sale. I was about 15/18 months into owning a Mk6 from new.  General improvement. Better performance. More space. Lower weight.  Cheaper for VW to build. 
Not enough to make me want to p.ex mine and upgrade to the New model tho - even if the claim was that it was 1 second per mile faster around the Nurburgring.😂  
IMHO the Mk 7 and now my 7.5 feel less substantial than the Mk6, lighter yes, stronger even, but feel more tinny and flimsy.  Doors, hatch, bonnet.  A less Solid feel.  Undoubtedly A better performing and handling car than the Mk6.
Vw May have taken the quest for low build costs and lower weight a little too far this time?

37 minutes ago, Ignition1 said:

I also remember when the mk7 GTI first came out (and later the 7R), and prior to that, when the mk7 was first revealed (was in a late build mk6 GTI at the time) .  There was a fair amount of negativity on forums regarding the styling and move from the rounded contours of the mk6 to the sharp lines and creases of the mk7 (ironically the very thing that makes the mk7 a classic imo). There was more positivity about the MQB chassis and handling improvements.  There was comment on cost cutting in the cabin with some of the trim, loss of the lovely wrap over headrests of the mk6 and thinner steering wheel, and thinner panels etc, and many felt the 7GTI wheel choices were meh, but the angled centre console was well received as was the choice of a non diamond cut wheel option on the 7R. Once the mk7 performance models were out in the wild, much of the original negativity over the styling diminished quite quickly as people became accustomed to it.  So a mix as I recall but one thing for sure, it was never as roundly condemned as the mk8 has been so far, even though we’ve yet to see it the 8R in the flesh.   

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 02:24, goodbadboy said:

My Mum told me many years ago...if I don't have anything nice to say...don't say anything at all....:ph34r:

Mine reputedly said, "If you don't have anything nice to say, come and sit by me . . ." :smiley:

On 08/08/2020 at 20:13, blower said:

Yes Thomas - this new generation is just bollocks.

-Slower than previous generation (0-60 etc)

-Tacky fog lights that look like they came straight from halfords.

-Huge honeycomb section lower grill which shows too much ugly stuff (like intercooler, oem piping etc)

-Capacitive touch control steering wheel - which is just bollocks.

-Laggy infotainment, bad UI, ugly

-and the usual Mk8 ugly front end, broken touch controls, cost cutting stick bonnet strut, no glovebox lining etc

Don't expect the R to be any better.

Nice seats tho...

Sat down last night, cast this to my 65" TV and was ready to be convinced that everything that said about the MK8 and GTI previously was knee jerk, but as started to skip and skip some more through the video it was more confirmation to the consensus that VW have messed up big time with this version, 

Like Thomas videos, no flash, always understated in manner but clear in thoughts, and always in HD and good camera angles, and with A-Z taking in of the details you get a good feel for the product. 

Thomas simply had nothing to work with, nothing to enthuse over, and the irritants became hard to ignore. 

So much to fix! 

The bottom grill needs some serious work

The steering wheel is abysmal the entertainment system is woeful and as many have said for months the touch and slide controls are actually dangerous as you have to fixate to get to setting wish

The GTI badge is just another badge and maybe its me, but the twin pipes look smaller? 

They could have added the additional tech for ride to the MK 7.5 and added some bits and pieces to that, played with the styling, improved the media again, 

It will sale, but think they will lose the loyal performance hardcore who will now be openly looking at other options, including the MK 7 series 

Why do they not consult the market, these forums? the MK 8 is baffling 

Know you said you liked the seats but they even messed them up, great seats, no GTI logo! so simple a styling win, but nope, a bare stretch of headrest 

Think the R looks better, the front end in particular, but the more get to see the less like, and thats not normally how it works

On 12/08/2020 at 11:54, Eric said:

Decent review. Prime example of why not to buy a first revision of anything. As Im sure all the minor issues will be ironed out over the coming years and revisions.

The MK 7 GTI red stripe looked really awkward and never flowed, where as the GTI was a big winner on the 7.5 facelift as the way the red stripe flows with the angled cluster and the addition of the twin DRL was a major styling win. 

The styling is fixable to a fashion, as you can tweak the front and rear trims, but the whole media unit needs a overhaul and introduction of at least semi switched environment - The Touraeg which have sat in, has an excellent interior, sweeping and far more intuitive, why not a shrunken version of that? 

The MK just baffles me in how can you get so much wrong? face lift might improve but it be the MK 9 where there will be any chance to come up with something folk actually want - so many forums, so many ideas, consensus on many of them, yet you doubt the folk at VW have ever been on a customer forum? 

If was buying new now it would be the A35 AMG that be looking at and the S3 

My plans, for first time ever not change, the TCR is going to be a long term keeper, maybe into second car as a modern classic, and maybe if do feel like a change a second hand RS 3 

When the infrastructure and charging times are at usable level (you can just top up like you do petrol) will not be opposed to a performance electric, as have seen what they can do, and its impressive, but thats easy 5+ and maybe more years away, - So glad got TCR when did, sense of relief as see the next incarnations roll out. 

Why do they not consult the market, these forums? the MK 8 is baffling 

They will have - they'll have done focus groups and alpha testing and all sorts of consumer research (it's a part of what I do for a living), but there's a limit to how many participants you can test against, and there's often a big gap in what you can test (drawings / 3d models vs an actual real car that you can sit in).

Sometimes, the users you test against are.. well, wrong

---------------------------------------------

Come on, get up. Let me see your bruises.

---------------------------------------------

On 10/08/2020 at 12:38, Booth11 said:

I also remember when the mk7 GTI first came out (and later the 7R), and prior to that, when the mk7 was first revealed (was in a late build mk6 GTI at the time) .  There was a fair amount of negativity on forums regarding the styling and move from the rounded contours of the mk6 to the sharp lines and creases of the mk7 (ironically the very thing that makes the mk7 a classic imo). There was more positivity about the MQB chassis and handling improvements.  There was comment on cost cutting in the cabin with some of the trim, loss of the lovely wrap over headrests of the mk6 and thinner steering wheel, and thinner panels etc, and many felt the 7GTI wheel choices were meh, but the angled centre console was well received as was the choice of a non diamond cut wheel option on the 7R. Once the mk7 performance models were out in the wild, much of the original negativity over the styling diminished quite quickly as people became accustomed to it.  So a mix as I recall but one thing for sure, it was never as roundly condemned as the mk8 has been so far, even though we’ve yet to see it the 8R in the flesh.   

There is always a mixed reception, I was personally very against the drivers display replacing dials, and love it now, but think the MK 8 has tipped beyond that early and normal caution to the change, the cabin is where it seriously falls down for me. 

However do think the exterior can be fixed as overall shape is still Golf like and it would really just be a serious rework of the trims that could transform. 

The gaping, grinning front end is awful, a swathe of combed plastic with some really tacky looking fog lights integrated (sigh of relief you can keep them switched off and they not the DRL) 

The R is more like it, has some structure, with the vents breaking up the mass, and it would just need that to be improved on 

Little thing yes, but that thin GTI badge in center looks like every other car on road, it could say KIA from distance, that needs to be put back where it belongs and in bolder style

You could feature the rear more with some pumped up trim and maybe add some TCR style skirts - The Trim and Features are malleable still which add in some decent 19" rims, there is hope for the MK 8.5 

The steering wheel is replaceable but you find it hard to see anyone say in VW that we were really wrong on the controls, lets go back to the MK 7 series wheel - watching Thomas use and talk about the controls was an awkward watch 

Not like the style of the media unit at all, should have been a sweeping unit like the Touraeg which for me is the benchmark if going down the path of screens, which we are, my issue is with the motion and touch controls, they are dangerous plain and simple as you do fixate on getting the setting you wish, where its a glance and check on physical switches, and you mainly keep eyes on road as you feel the action being made with hands - still find it hard to believe that the expensively assembled brain trust and all who signed this interior off did not come to that conclusion, 

It will sale, everyone will get used to it, but doubt this series will ever be loved. 

39 minutes ago, Hertsman said:

There is always a mixed reception, I was personally very against the drivers display replacing dials, and love it now, but think the MK 8 has tipped beyond that early and normal caution to the change, the cabin is where it seriously falls down for me. 

However do think the exterior can be fixed as overall shape is still Golf like and it would really just be a serious rework of the trims that could transform. 

The gaping, grinning front end is awful, a swathe of combed plastic with some really tacky looking fog lights integrated (sigh of relief you can keep them switched off and they not the DRL) 

The R is more like it, has some structure, with the vents breaking up the mass, and it would just need that to be improved on 

Little thing yes, but that thin GTI badge in center looks like every other car on road, it could say KIA from distance, that needs to be put back where it belongs and in bolder style

You could feature the rear more with some pumped up trim and maybe add some TCR style skirts - The Trim and Features are malleable still which add in some decent 19" rims, there is hope for the MK 8.5 

The steering wheel is replaceable but you find it hard to see anyone say in VW that we were really wrong on the controls, lets go back to the MK 7 series wheel - watching Thomas use and talk about the controls was an awkward watch 

Not like the style of the media unit at all, should have been a sweeping unit like the Touraeg which for me is the benchmark if going down the path of screens, which we are, my issue is with the motion and touch controls, they are dangerous plain and simple as you do fixate on getting the setting you wish, where its a glance and check on physical switches, and you mainly keep eyes on road as you feel the action being made with hands - still find it hard to believe that the expensively assembled brain trust and all who signed this interior off did not come to that conclusion, 

It will sale, everyone will get used to it, but doubt this series will ever be loved. 

To a degree there’s a natural hesitancy/reluctance with the new and the changed. And especially when VW have hit a such a very very high spot with the mk7/7.5.  Anything will be judged quite harshly by comparison naturally.  As you say the 7.5 had it’s share of criticism (most of it constructive I’d say) when it first came on the radar but now has settled and been accepted as a very successful iteration. I have to say I’m actually still very happy to be in the analogue dark age with my mk7 dials and still prefer the mk7 design though 😁, but both are superb design and great evolution within the lifespan of the mk7.  

I understand what you say about the potential to “fix” the mk8, and more so with the mk8 R (based on what we’ve seen so far) but to me that’s an absolute fail.   You shouldn’t have to fix it. It should have been designed better. 

Performance modding aside, there’ll always be great interest in aesthetic modding cars to customise them and tweak to suit the individual’s own likes and wants (and that’s a great thing), but if the basic design is crap then the starting point is poor.  Away from that, I personally don’t want to spend a big chunk of money on a car that I’ve then got to perform major cosmetic surgery on to make it remotely bearable.  There is a difference in modding to achieve a desired look and modding to save or hide a big lemon.

It will sell and our senses will get used to it but there’s no getting away from it being a massive design disappointment on many fronts.  

I look out the window right now (from my home office) at my mk7 sitting on the drive (at nearly 5 years old) and I have a big smile as it still does it for me.  The meh8 (not a typo) not. 

On 12/08/2020 at 11:54, Eric said:

As Im sure all the minor issues will be ironed out over the coming years and revisions.

Shame we can't say the same about the Villa. Sorry, couldn't resist! 😂.  Seriously though, most would agree that these are not "minor issues". The messed up interior is fundamental and can't possibly be completely redesigned until mk 9. However, I remember reading in Auto Express a month or so ago (quoting a VW exec) that the mk 8 will be the last Golf ever. A sad end. All that follows will be ID.x. Lovely 😕

I will be more interested in finding out if any of the hardware changes to the suspension and steering make a significant improvement to steering and handling of the Mk8 R, and if they do, will they work as a retrofit to my Mk7.5 R  ?  IIRC There may be changes to alloy lower control arms on the front and possibly other things.