Sign in to follow this  
Daniel43

First use of Bilt hamber auto foam and lance (text and pic heavy)

Decided to wash car on Sunday to try out my new auto foam lance and BH auto foam. I used a 10% solution (should have been stronger as car has been left to the elements since about 1/6/20). Did a reasonably full detail which took about 8 hours and a sprained right hand;

1. Auto foam sprayed on and allowed to dwell for five mins (next time longer and stronger as car still had a fair amount of residue left on).

2. Pressure washer used to rinse off.

3. Two bucket wash (grit guards) using demon foam (not a great product - just trying to use it up) and megs MF mit.

4. Rinse with hose water (using water filter but has expired - +300ppm).

5. Dried with Gyeon silk drying MF towel.

6. Sprayed with BH Korrosol and left a few mins (lots of red on bonnet, roof, boot and bumpers).

7. Rinsed and quickly washed over again with the demon foam, rinsed then dried.

8. Cleaned wheels with same demon foam, halfords MF wheel mit, sponge and brush (day before cleaned side of tyres with non-scratch scouring pad and fairy to remove the brown/orange marks caused by scuffs sometimes), rinsed and dried with WOWO tyre drying towel.

9. Polished body work and wheels using AG super resin polish (disposable cloth used to apply and WOWO MF cloth to buff body work, cheap MF for wheels).

10. Polished glass with AG glass polish (disposable cloth to apply and cheap MF cloth to buff).

11. Angel wax H2GO Glass sealant/rain repellent applied using Purestar cloth (buffed off after 15 minutes with cheap MF cloth).

12. Waxed body work with DoDo juice super natural hybrid (a hateful job, binned the hard wax afterwards) and WOWO applicator. Buffed off using BH MF cloth and Megs MF cloth. Like the wax due to longevity but it is extremely difficult to apply on a white car (just wanted to use up the remainder in the tester pot). Had no confidence that the wax had been applied evenly what with the lumps on the pad. Finished the roof off (left till last as I hate doing the roof) with DoDo light fantastic (much easier to apply being a soft wax, and smells nice too).

13. Wheels waxed with poor boys sealant using disposable cloth and cheap MF cloth to buff (sprained right hand) and applied Gyeon Q2 tyre dressing with cheap MF cloth.

14. Polished exhaust tips with AG metal polish using two dedicated cheap MF cloths.

15. Cup of tea.

16. Monday - quick detail with Megs ultimate detailer and WOWO MF cloth, second wax coat with BH double speed wax (a paste wax that is easy to apply and ok to buff) using WOWO pad and BH MF cloth. Felt I had not applied first DODO SNH wax properly. Have purchased some BH finis wax so will experiment with that soon. Another 3 hours spent, pictures are from work on Sunday.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions (like how not to get logged out of this site after downloading the pictures and then having to download them again after logging back in, it was quicker washing the car hehe) for improvement on technique, products, etc. Would like to try the Swissvax BIS wax but always out of stock and the price.

20200809_193541[1].jpg

20200809_193505[1].jpg

20200809_193501[1].jpg

20200809_193447[1].jpg

So what do I think of the BH auto foam and lance use ? It gave me some reassurance that most of the debris on the car was safely rinsed away (well lubricated and less likely to cause scratches). The lance was easy to adjust (from cyc website). Used half a litre of the 10% solution. A stronger solution next time and a little longer dwell time I think as the car was still dirty after the pressure washed rinse. It is a quick process (auto foam part) so quite happy to use this again. Washing the car afterwards was easier than when not using the auto foam. Must buy a new water filter only lasted three washes I think. I was lucky as it was cloudy during the washing stages, so got away with a spent filter.

Great work!  Hard work in this heat too.  Results are fantastic!  😎  Hope you are happy with all your efforts!   

Think you’re doing the right thing in trying various waxes, to see what suits you best both for application, finish and performance.  Wax is quite a personal thing really.  I personally like both hard wax and paste wax but they are different to apply.  Swissvax BOS is beautiful wax but comes at a heavy price.  To me it’s worth it.   But plenty of other waxes out there that aren’t quite so heavy on the bank account.  Good to try ones at different price points.   Perhaps nano and ceramic sealants might suit you?  Worth trying some of those out too.  

Same goes for experimenting with other processes, like the snow foam, although there is way of working to the Bill Hamber Panel Impact Ratio for optimum cleansing.   Trial and error can get you there too and part of the fun!  

I’m not sure why you’re getting logged out of the site.  I’ve had that happen in the past but not for a long long time.  Very frustrating if you’re posting pics direct from your device although if that’s the method you are using, every pic you upload direct goes into a library you can access from your Account settings (called My Attachments in the menu list) so you don’t need to re upload if you already did that even if you got logged out. you can just access them from your library and reinsert into a post, using the ‘insert other media’ button.  

Anyway, back to the car......stunning!  

Cheers Booth11. The Bilt Hamber Finis wax I will be getting soon maybe 'the one' going by reviews (I will apply it after a quick detail of a panel or two at the weekend). Quite expensive at £33 but that is for 250ml with a pad and great BH MF cloth (cf. Swissvax BOS at £250 for 200ml). One day, tax rebate permitting in Oct, I will get the 50ml BOS if it is ever available. I do enjoy the experimental process (chemistry background) but perhaps not to the point of injury hehe.

32 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Great work!  Hard work in this heat too.  Results are fantastic!  😎  Hope you are happy with all your efforts!   

Think you’re doing the right thing in trying various waxes, to see what suits you best both for application, finish and performance.  Wax is quite a personal thing really.  I personally like both hard wax and paste wax but they are different to apply.  Swissvax BOS is beautiful wax but comes at a heavy price.  To me it’s worth it.   But plenty of other waxes out there that aren’t quite so heavy on the bank account.  Good to try ones at different price points.   Perhaps nano and ceramic sealants might suit you?  Worth trying some of those out too.  

Same goes for experimenting with other processes, like the snow foam, although there is way of working to the Bill Hamber Panel Impact Ratio for optimum cleansing.   Trial and error can get you there too and part of the fun!  

I’m not sure why you’re getting logged out of the site.  I’ve had that happen in the past but not for a long long time.  Very frustrating if you’re posting pics direct from your device although if that’s the method you are using, every pic you upload direct goes into a library you can access from your Account settings (called My Attachments in the menu list) so you don’t need to re upload if you already did that even if you got logged out. you can just access them from your library and reinsert into a post, using the ‘insert other media’ button.  

Anyway, back to the car......stunning!  

just seen the attachments section, will remember for next time. cheers again.

2 hours ago, Daniel43 said:

Cheers Booth11. The Bilt Hamber Finis wax I will be getting soon maybe 'the one' going by reviews (I will apply it after a quick detail of a panel or two at the weekend). Quite expensive at £33 but that is for 250ml with a pad and great BH MF cloth (cf. Swissvax BOS at £250 for 200ml). One day, tax rebate permitting in Oct, I will get the 50ml BOS if it is ever available. I do enjoy the experimental process (chemistry background) but perhaps not to the point of injury hehe.

Ouch!  Hope your detailing inflicted sprained wrist is not too painful.  

BOS 50ml in stock at Ultimate Finish which is where I usually get mine from.

https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/swissvax/best-of-show-wax.aspx

And Slims https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/swissvax-best-of-show-wax.html

Both those and Polished Bliss usually pretty good stock wise.  

So where did I go wrong with the BH auto foam ? Easy, did not do my homework or read the instructions wrt. PIR. I used a 10% solution in the foam lance 1 litre bottle (KAR41 on cyc) and did not adjust the foam lance at all. Pressure washer is a Karcher K4 compact. I measured the flow (today) to empty the 1 litre using the orginally used setting/flow rate on the lance. It was enormous, 44 litres. To get the 4% quoted on the bottle of BH auto foam I would have had to put, somehow, 1.76 litres of concentrate in the 1 litre foam lance bottle (I used 100ml hence very little action from the foam).

So now I have readjusted the foam lance (basically fully on and half turn backed off) and remeasured flow. It now takes 17.5 litres to empty the 1 litre foam lance bottle. The instructions on the Bilt Hamber auto foam is to use anywhere from 1% (lightly soiled) to 5% (heavily soiled). To do this you multiply the volume used (17500ml) by, in my case, 4% (or 0.04). This gave 700ml of concentrate made up to 1000ml with water. 

The reason my first attempt failed was because I used an over dilution of about 17.5x. All good fun learning this. Also, it is not necessary to keep going around the car spraying until the foam lance bottle is empty. Just coat every part of the car in one go and there will probably be loads left for next time.

I will update how I get on next time with the corrected concentration. 

as mentioned in section 16 of topic start I had purchased some BH finis wax and was going to try that. Today I quickly detailed the car (nice thunder storm last night) with DODO juice basics of bling detailer (like this product as it does not cause coughing like the Megs ultimate quick detailer and is cheaper too, needs a little more buffing though but not much) and a megs MF cloth. Then applied the BH Finis wax to a panel at a time and buffed off after no more than 5 mins (tried 10 and 15 mins but not good - very hard to buff off). I had a tendency to overload which also resulted in difficulty buffing off. A light coating (dampen applicator and do not allow it to dry out) and buff off soon after seemed to work fine and seeing the product on the car was not too difficult either.  Much less of a solvent smell than the BH double speed wax which is a good thing.

Hopefully that was an ok procedure (quick detail and then wax) that I used. Time will tell to see how long this waxing will last (Have put three coats on, DODO SNH/LF - BH DS wax and then BH Finis wax). Have attached more pictures but no real difference seen TBH (white not as exciting as a dark car either I think). 

20200813_184931[1].jpg

20200813_184917[1].jpg

20200813_173747[1].jpg

20200813_173716[1].jpg

20200813_173714[1].jpg

After storm Francis I decided to try the 700ml BH AF / 300ml Water mixture. Much better results than my first try with the bodywork feeling very smooth afterwards. Washed it with the two bucket method and BH auto wash (I used 15ml in 14litres which is about double the recommended amount).  Not much dirt left on the car at all so probably did not even need the two bucket wash stage after the foaming step. So, in conclusion, with the corrected PIR this BH AF is pretty good and am happy to continue using it. Volume from snow foam lance bottle used was 300ml, enough for three uses at the 4% PIR strength.

50 minutes ago, Daniel43 said:

After storm Francis I decided to try the 700ml BH AF / 300ml Water mixture. Much better results than my first try with the bodywork feeling very smooth afterwards. Washed it with the two bucket method and BH auto wash (I used 15ml in 14litres which is about double the recommended amount).  Not much dirt left on the car at all so probably did not even need the two bucket wash stage after the foaming step. So, in conclusion, with the corrected PIR this BH AF is pretty good and am happy to continue using it. Volume from snow foam lance bottle used was 300ml, enough for three uses at the 4% PIR strength.

Glad you’ve sorted out the dilution and it’s doing it’s thing well!  

On 11/08/2020 at 19:47, Booth11 said:

Ouch!  Hope your detailing inflicted sprained wrist is not too painful.  

BOS 50ml in stock at Ultimate Finish which is where I usually get mine from.

https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/swissvax/best-of-show-wax.aspx

And Slims https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/swissvax-best-of-show-wax.html

Both those and Polished Bliss usually pretty good stock wise.  

So, the rebate came through and it was good. Thinking of trying the Swissvax BOS but had a few questions that I wondered if you would be able to help with. The wax looks red/pinkish in colour and I wondered if that would be better on a white car in terms of seeing it being applied more easily than the white waxes I have been using ? Also, is BOS a hard (like DoDo SNH) or soft wax (like BH DS/finis or DoDo lf) or a paste wax (softer than BH DS/finis) ? Can I add this on top of the BH finis wax that is already applied ?

Thanks in advance.

11 minutes ago, Daniel43 said:

So, the rebate came through and it was good. Thinking of trying the Swissvax BOS but had a few questions that I wondered if you would be able to help with. The wax looks red/pinkish in colour and I wondered if that would be better on a white car in terms of seeing it being applied more easily than the white waxes I have been using ? Also, is BOS a hard (like DoDo SNH) or soft wax (like BH DS/finis or DoDo lf) or a paste wax (softer than BH DS/finis) ? Can I add this on top of the BH finis wax that is already applied ?

Thanks in advance.

That's good news about the rebate!  

BOS is a soft pink colour (see first pic below), it might be a little more visible on white. 

wax.thumb.jpg.18fbc3d16e84b30bee5ebeecd8a9a54b.jpg

If it helps at all, though I don't have a white car to test it on, I've just spread a little of the wax onto my gloss white kitchen cupboard using fingertip and this is the result (pre buffed off of course)....that's thicker layer than I would use on a car but you get the idea.

wax2.thumb.jpg.39e80a3267e96c6271332c919196f1bb.jpg

BOS is not at all a hard wax like SNH, it's a soft paste wax (best kept at room temp then warmed a little before use). It has a grainy texture to it (you can see the latter in the pic above). I don't see why you couldn't apply it on top of your BH Finis wax, however Swissvax is always best applied to bare paint - prepped first - as in squeaky clean and panel-wiped/IPA'd down to remove any residue that might prevent good bonding - to ensure the very best bond.  But really you can do whatever you fancy but there might be some trade off in lifespan and durability (possibly finish) if applying on top of other wax, especially if the was below is partially degraded.  If you were to apply on top of the BH, then I would make sure the BH is a fresh coat and leave 24 hours (to cure) before applying the BOS. 

One nice thing about BOS, is it has a very long working/hazing time meaning you can apply it to the whole car and then buff off it all in one go, as opposed to doing sections or panels at a time - apply, buff, etc.    I've left BOS on a few hours before buffing off (in a dust free environment) before. 

Hope that helps. 

18 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

That's good news about the rebate!  

BOS is a soft pink colour (see first pic below), it might be a little more visible on white. 

wax.thumb.jpg.18fbc3d16e84b30bee5ebeecd8a9a54b.jpg

If it helps at all, though I don't have a white car to test it on, I've just spread a little of the wax onto my gloss white kitchen cupboard using fingertip and this is the result (pre buffed off of course)....that's thicker layer than I would use on a car but you get the idea.

wax2.thumb.jpg.39e80a3267e96c6271332c919196f1bb.jpg

BOS is not at all a hard wax like SNH, it's a soft paste wax (best kept at room temp then warmed a little before use). It has a grainy texture to it (you can see the latter in the pic above). I don't see why you couldn't apply it on top of your BH Finis wax, however Swissvax is always best applied to bare paint - prepped first - as in squeaky clean and panel-wiped/IPA'd down to remove any residue that might prevent good bonding - to ensure the very best bond.  But really you can do whatever you fancy but there might be some trade off in lifespan and durability (possibly finish) if applying on top of other wax, especially if the was below is partially degraded.  If you were to apply on top of the BH, then I would make sure the BH is a fresh coat and leave 24 hours (to cure) before applying the BOS. 

One nice thing about BOS, is it has a very long working/hazing time meaning you can apply it to the whole car and then buff off it all in one go, as opposed to doing sections or panels at a time - apply, buff, etc.    I've left BOS on a few hours before buffing off (in a dust free environment) before. 

Hope that helps. 

Thank you for the very comprehensive reply. I would probably use BH cleanser polish or AG SRP before applying the wax although sounds like BH cleanser fluid or Swissvax cleanser fluid might be more suitable here. Now I have a dilemma. Do I go for the 200ml or the 50ml tester pot ? Thanks again.

19 minutes ago, Daniel43 said:

Thank you for the very comprehensive reply. I would probably use BH cleanser polish or AG SRP before applying the wax although sounds like BH cleanser fluid or Swissvax cleanser fluid might be more suitable here. Now I have a dilemma. Do I go for the 200ml or the 50ml tester pot ? Thanks again.

Anything that lays down a layer of protection such as SRP will possibly affect the bond. Some type of pre wax cleanser fluid is the best prep, however Swissvax Cleanser Fluid is a bit of a pig to buff off so I prefer to use Gtechniq Panel Wipe instead.  Much more user friendly and I think it’s much better vfm too! Or Lime Prime Lite is good too.  I’d not bother with SV version. 

Pot size is a dilemma due to price and fact you’ve never used it before.  The bigger pot would be by far preferable in terms of ease of getting an applicator in as the small 50ml pot is small and the wax can be hard to access especially as the wax level lowers. But it’s a lot to pay out if it turns out you don’t like the wax!  Still I’d probably buy the remains of a 200ml pot off you if you wanted to offload it!  😁