Starnzy

Adding a Pedalbox to insurance policy

I’m currently insured through PostOffice Premier, and I wanted to find out if fitting a pedalbox to my Golf R would cost any extra so I called them earlier.

After explaining what the device was and emphasising how it doesn’t increase the performance / bhp of the car etc., they confirmed that this mod falls under the Engine Management category (or something like that) and my current underwriter would not insure it. Their alternative underwriter would but would cost around £1500 per year 😆 I currently pay about £350 per year. So I told them to leave it. 

Now I’m just wondering which insurers are a bit more sensible when it comes to mods, whilst still being good if you need them at some point (hopefully not!).

When looking at the comparison sites this evening, unless I’m mistaken, the most suitable category (According to my current insurance) for a pedalbox is Engine Management. It doesn’t however let me be more specific, so most of the quotes I’m seeing come back are way more than my current premium.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. 

Declared it to my insurer NFU Mutual, no premium increase or admin charge. 

I appreciate that NFU aren't the cheapest around but I like the fact that I can ring my local office 10 miles away and the person who answers the phone can sort out what I want without having to navigate a myriad of menu options.  Possibly an age thing!

I’m currently insured through PostOffice Premier, and I wanted to find out if fitting a pedalbox to my Golf R would cost any extra so I called them earlier.

After explaining what the device was and emphasising how it doesn’t increase the performance / boho of the car erc, they confirmed that this kid falls under the Engine Management category (or something like that) and my current underwriter would not insure it. Their alternative underwriter would but would cost around £1500 per year I currently pay about £350 per year. So I told them to leave it. 

Now I’m just wondering which insurers are a bit more sensible when it comes to mods, whilst still being good if you need them at some point (hopefully not!).

When looking at the comparison sites this evening, unless I’m mistaken, the most suitable category (According to my current insurance) for a pedalbox is Engine Management. It doesn’t however let me be more specific, so most of the quotes I’m seeing come back are way more than my current premium.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. 

cant comment on the pedal box in particular but admiral have been god for mods for me recently cost wise and others on here.

lots of people with peddle boxes so sure someone will offer more advice in that area

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think a lot can come down to who takes your call when adding it to your insurance.  I’m with Direct Line and after explaining what a pedal box was and what it did and didn’t do, they checked with the underwriter who accepted it and add it to my policy. Strangely my premium dropped by a couple of quid!   They didn’t have a category for it so it was added as a special note onto my policy.  

However I do know of some insured with companies that have refused to cover pedal boxes but then other people with same company had theirs accepted.  Seems very hit and miss.  

I'm with VW Insurance and they added it to my policy at no charge. Like others have said, the insurer had no idea what it was so I had to explain to them and even emailed them links and screenshots of DTUK's website. They checked with the underwriter and said it was fine.

I renewed with them again for my 2nd year as the quote was competitive so saved all the rigmarole of explaining it again to another insurer as they had it on record still.

I'm with Admiral who called it a generic 'internal mod'!? Possibly coz of where control module kept. Don't think added anything money-wise. Admiral are mod-friendly and I have 3 cars on multi policy.

Bob

Since my last post, I spoke with Admiral, to see what they would quote, with the Pedalbox. They didn't know what it was and said they'd need to go away to the underwriters and get back to me. That was nearly two weeks ago and I've not heard anything from them.

So this morning I contacted Post Office again, who I'm currently with - this time they said it would need a new policy and would cost £700 (with higher excess than my current policy too).

I then phoned Admiral back to follow up my previous enquiry with them. They had a message from the underwriters on their system, against my previous quote/enquiry but it was pretty inconclusive apparently. So I went through a new quote with them, and they spoke to their manager who agreed to put it down as Pedalbox - Remap / Transmission, or something like that, and confirmed it would not add anything to the price of my new quote, which is about £480.

So, I've ordered a Pedalbox + from DTUK, and will be cancelling my Post office insurance next week and going with Admiral. I'm looking forward to hooking up the pedalbox and hopefully feeling some improved responsiveness when driving in 'D' (rather than having to drive around in 'S' most of the time).

24 minutes ago, Starnzy said:

Since my last post, I spoke with Admiral, to see what they would quote, with the Pedalbox. They didn't know what it was and said they'd need to go away to the underwriters and get back to me. That was nearly two weeks ago and I've not heard anything from them.

So this morning I contacted Post Office again, who I'm currently with - this time they said it would need a new policy and would cost £700 (with higher excess than my current policy too).

I then phoned Admiral back to follow up my previous enquiry with them. They had a message from the underwriters on their system, against my previous quote/enquiry but it was pretty inconclusive apparently. So I went through a new quote with them, and they spoke to their manager who agreed to put it down as Pedalbox - Remap / Transmission, or something like that, and confirmed it would not add anything to the price of my new quote, which is about £480.

So, I've ordered a Pedalbox + from DTUK, and will be cancelling my Post office insurance next week and going with Admiral. I'm looking forward to hooking up the pedalbox and hopefully feeling some improved responsiveness when driving in 'D' (rather than having to drive around in 'S' most of the time).

Great to hear that you found an insurer willing to cover it at no extra cost.  Roll on a responsive throttle pedal!  

I finally changed my insurance over to Admiral today and cancelled my existing Post Office policy, seeing as the best their alternative underwriter could do, with Pedalbox added, was over £700. I'm probably paying about £90 more a year through Admiral, and with a slightly higher compulsory excess, but hopefully the Pedalbox will be worth it, and maybe I'll set up multi-car next time round to get some discount.

Hopefully next years renewal premium won't shoot up as it'll be nice not to have to go through the process of explaining what a Pedalbox is again to every other insurer!

19 hours ago, Starnzy said:

I finally changed my insurance over to Admiral today and cancelled my existing Post Office policy, seeing as the best their alternative underwriter could do, with Pedalbox added, was over £700. I'm probably paying about £90 more a year through Admiral, and with a slightly higher compulsory excess, but hopefully the Pedalbox will be worth it, and maybe I'll set up multi-car next time round to get some discount.

Hopefully next years renewal premium won't shoot up as it'll be nice not to have to go through the process of explaining what a Pedalbox is again to every other insurer!

Glad you got it all sorted Marcus even if you did have to change I sure to get there.