Penguin

Mk 8 R Estate

27 minutes ago, Penguin said:

Granted it’s in some sort of Alltrack disguise but I think the mk8 estate already looks better than the hatch (not hard) .  Glad to see the R estate will live on. 

https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/golf-r-estate/203018/new-volkswagen-golf-r-estate-spied

DD6494D0-275D-4A51-B6B3-B6E03435DBCF.jpeg

I agree on it looking better than the hatch. 

Apart from the obvious camouflage along the top and around the edges of the lower grille, I think we now have a pretty good idea of what the R’s production version of the lower grille will look like. The vertical body coloured sections on the grille aren’t camouflaged, and IMO those vertical strips makes a big difference to the ‘face’ of the R compared to rest of the mk8 model range. 

Now if only those eyebrows could be removed from the headlights, and the conventional interior controls be re-instated...........🤔.

You're kidding right? Have you seen the back of it?!

Looks like a mondeo42cec55cb4e76291fd4d49d26a6493c5.jpg

---------------------------------------------
Come on, get up. Let me see your bruises.

53 minutes ago, Penguin said:

Glad to see the R estate will live on. 

Good find Penguin, thanks for sharing.   Of more interest to me than the Hatch at this stage, but I’ll just have to wait to see. 

IMO this looks much better.....

cupra_sp_front.jpg
Faster too once the ABT tune is available. 50bhp for £500, no brainer

Come on, get up. Let me see your bruises.

Just now, Penguin said:

I can’t disagree but due to pecking order the SEAT will have a lesser quality finish and some ELC plastic interior trim 

Maybe. But .... maybe not given that Cupra is trying to establish itself as a separate brand to SEAT. Personally, I'm not really that bothered by hard plastic interiors, so long as they don't reflect in the windscreen. 

I can’t disagree but due to pecking order the SEAT will have a lesser quality finish and some ELC plastic interior trim 
Rather have either Cupra over a MK8 Golf, interiors are fairly easy to customise and make a bit more special

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Charles M said:

Maybe. But .... maybe not given that Cupra is trying to establish itself as a separate brand to SEAT. Personally, I'm not really that bothered by hard plastic interiors, so long as they don't reflect in the windscreen. 

Hopefully the latest Cupra's wont' have SEAT branded LED light clusters, in order to help with establishing itself as a stand alone brand 😉

14 minutes ago, Penguin said:

Hopefully the latest Cupra's wont' have SEAT branded LED light clusters, in order to help with establishing itself as a stand alone brand 😉

The run out specials caught my eye at the time. As did the price.  Getting one pre registered with several £k off, not so bad, but at a similar price to an R wagon they seemed to stick for a while.

Just now, NRW said:

The run out specials caught my eye at the time. As did the price.  Getting one pre registered with several £k off, not so bad, but at a similar price to an R wagon they seemed to stick for a while.

The Cupra R ABT with the bronze trim looks very very nice, the pics don't do it justice.  For me the interior is a big let down though.  It all works but you're never really isolated from road/wind/rattling noises.  I had a FR ST for a few years and TBH it was absolutely faultless but I just didn't enjoy/love it in the same way I do the R (and not just the performance).  I think what's always clear with SEAT and some of the Skoda's is that you can see where things have likely been 'held back' as to not upset the group hierarchy.  IME it's: 

SEAT/Cupra:  Don't stop them building nice looking cars with a bit of design flair but make sure the quality is a step down otherwise VW may lose sales

Skoda: Give them designs for the previous generation of VW's and allow them 75% of the same quality, otherwise VW and Audi may lose sales. 

Back OT: I wont' be trading in my 7.5 for an 8 estate, put it that way.  It would have to come with a suitcase of cash or a life time supply of Haribo before I'd even consider it 😊

5 hours ago, Matt7R said:

Faster too once the ABT tune is available. 50bhp for £500, no brainer

Agreed, but if it comes with the Audi S3 300bhp engine then the ABT tune wont be much more than the stock Golf R Mk8, provided that gets the 330bhp engine as mentioned in the press.