Penguin

Mk 8 R Estate

Interesting that the Estate has a longer wheelbase and gives more leg room in the rear. This is my biggest issue with the 7.5. It might even persuade me to move to an 8R !!

Interesting that the Estate has a longer wheelbase and gives more leg room in the rear. This is my biggest issue with the 7.5. It might even persuade me to move to an 8R !!

It's over a foot longer than the mk7.5 - that didn't sound like it's going to be very agile to drive...

Looks terrible too

423e66c88109dca014b4c4967c8df749.jpgdc0e60d3ac8352a841219b2411457a69.jpg

---------------------------------------------
Come on, get up. Let me see your bruises.
---------------------------------------------

@Matt7R  That top picture looks pretty average. Actually so does the bottom one.  To me, this Passat looks better, as well as being better looking than the Arteon Estate. I know it's boxy etc but to me it is what it is and has a certain handsomeness about it. Function over form (primarily so) has a certain appeal to me. Wonder if anyone has driven the 272PS (tuned or not) and knows whether it can be made to be involving? I suspect not, and it is going to be what it is designed to be, a bit boring and efficient. 

As you say the 8 Estate is longer and whether it will handle is a question.  Will 4cm over the hatch really make a huge difference? I suspect not. Will a foot more than the 7.5 make a big difference? Possibly. 

Maybe it is a question of waiting to see how it "ages" on the eye, as well as obviously seeing how it handles. There will of course be many comparisons with the 7.5. Looks wise, some cars look hideous when they first appear but mellow given time. I had an BMW E61 which was hideous to start with. Still hideous in SE guise, but the Sport models looks good IMO, even after 16 years.  

Volkswagen Passat 2.0 TSI 272 R Line Edition 4MOTION 5dr DSG

Think the red one is r-line trim - so gives a glimpse of what the R may look like, but of course not a actual r.

Could see me in the passat maybe - shame they did the prima grey spec with 272 bhp. Not sure if you can get any other colours.

I thin the arteon maybe too big - but again will have to wait for release - I know what I should do - just keep the 7.5!

@gazza5 the B8 272PS comes in black as well I think, but agree about limited colour options.

So it seems that the unless VW spruce up the Passat, the "sporting" estates are the Gold and Arteon. I can't really see the point anymore of the Arteon. It seems form over function, as it is bigger, more expensive and smaller boot wise than the Passat and for that reason, I can see the Passat not getting the R treatment. If it did, would you choose an Arteon over a Passat?

Other question I have, is the engine in the 272PS engine a detuned 310PS one? Are there other bits that have been downgraded? I've been on some tuning sites, and they list a remapped B8 Passat at 355bhp, which is the same as they quote for a Golf r 7.5. Still, dynamically, not sure the Passat will ever match the Golf, but I might be wrong. TBH, I don't drive around corners sideways, so maybe as I mature, a fast Passat might be suitable.

I have a slight aversion to premium brand cars. Not sure why, but they just don't appeal. Maybe Mercedes, but BMW is a bit meh and Audi does absolutely nothing for me at all. 

51 minutes ago, SpursMadDave said:

Saw one at the weekend emoji41.pngd625a021e7df21a674422c0061dfa5bd.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I should like them...more than I do I think.  Having my Hard earned tied up in one is another matter.  But a damn capable and rapid sporty wagon..😂

(Fence paint across my Wallet I guess)

On 15/09/2020 at 13:03, blakspark said:

Think I might have to look at the new Cupra Leon Estate.

Looks better to me inside and out, hopefully they still offer the warrantied 350bhp ABT upgrade and will be a little cheaper!

Yes, I think the Cupra is a better package and has that nice approved ABT power upgrade as an option.  The interior isn't really much worse than the awful Mk8 Golf's trim either, judging from reviews (traditionally it's the cabin where the real differences have been between different marques of  equivalent VAG cars).