Indemand

Stage 1 for GPF 2019 Golf R and other mods

Hi all

I've recently picked up a late 2019 Golf R and am starting to look into getting it modified. To give you some background, my partner and I previously had our own cars (2015 Civic Type R and Yaris GRMN respectively) but with changing circumstances decided to sell them both and get something, well...a bit more mature/refined while still keeping it fun and on the understanding that we would have it modified.

Neither of us really know anything about the mechanics of cars but I've done a fair bit of research and *think* that we are going to want a Stage 1 remap - I've searched through various forum posts and tried to learn what I can but still have quite a few questions that I'm hoping people might be able to answer.

For starters, there are so many different companies that can provide the remap software. Initially I was looking at Revo as it seems to be really popular - I'm not really interested in chasing numbers, just in how fun it is to drive. However, for the GPF model they don't currently do the DSG software - is having the engine remap without DSG done likely to cause issues? I don't necessarily mean mechanical, just in the way the DSG behaves and whether it will be any good to drive. If the opinion is that having the Stage 1 and DSG done together, can anyone advise who can currently provide the software for both?

About the only upgrades that the car wasn't built with are the sound system and a lack of DCC - to be fair, coming from driving cars that feel like your spine is being removed if you hit a pot hole, its pretty comfortable as is, but I have thought about getting coilovers fitted. They would need to be able to be adjusted electronically - can this be retro-fitted on a non-DCC car?

Lastly, brakes - I'd like something that can cope with hard use but that will also be good day to day - from what I've read a lot of the upgrades aren't necessarily great in cold conditions, like the UK at 7am for 6 months of the year - again, any suggestions would be very welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Nik, welcome 👋

Regarding remaps; plenty of companies out there and many have a good reputation around these parts.  The big players who sell off the shelf maps such as Revo and APR are a safe bet.  Revo actually produced better results for the GPF than what they were expecting and speaking to people with Revo maps on the GPF cars, they are very smooth and torquey, plenty of usable power exactly where you need it.  I have a Revo stage 1 on my non-GPF R and it's been great so far, my 3rd Revo remap.  No issues whatsoever. 

Then you have custom maps from companies such as Unicorn, MRC and R-Tec.  All reputable and each will also provide a DSG tune for additional cost (usually some sort of 'package price).  I've heard mixed reviews about the DSG TCU tunes from these companies so you'd probably need to ask for specific info in the modified section once you've narrowed down your choices. 

TVS are a dutch company who are apparently the best in the business for TCU tunes for the VW Group DSG boxes.  I'm hoping to get their stage 2+ tune as soon as I can.  They have UK agents (look on their website) and you basically have the TCU tune flashed on to the car, with the agent working directly with TVS' HQ to provide a suitable tune for your particular car.  I was told that if you have a dyno output of any tuning it is helpful as it will allow TVS to fettle the TCU tune accordingly but it's also not essential for maps from Revo and/or APR as they are quite generic and TVS have seen enough of them to provide an optimal tune. 

Revo are in the process of working on a TCU tune for the DQ381 gear box and I was told it would be available this year; I'm not holding out though as I'm under the impression that their tune for the 6 spd box isn't that good and doesn't seem to address the most common traits/faults of the boxes behaviour.  Perhaps the latest tune will fix that but I'd rather not be an early adopter...just in case. 

A TCU tune isn't essential for stage 1 as they should be within the tolerances of the box.  I'm largely happy with how the DSG performs with my Revo map but there's a few occasions where I'd prefer the boxes behaviour (shift points, how long gears are held) to be more inline with what I want to do, not what it thinks it should be doing. I've also experienced an issue when the box can get itself confused when in 2nd gear and in S mode, e.g slowing to a round about or slightly obscured junction, you see it's clear and can move off but the box thinks you were going to slow to a stop so it's already looking to change into 1st, so you end up with a slight delay whilst the box catches up.  A few other people have also reported this and it happened on mine before the stage 1map but the map makes it more noticeable. 

HTH

EDIT: I've flagged the post with mods and requested it's moved to the Modified section, where it will likely get you some more responses from those who've modified their cars 😃

Thanks, thats really useful info - I had assumed that you would need to have a remap and TCU done by the some company - think I'll probably get the remap done and then see what I think of how the DSG is performing.

Might be a stupid question and doesn't matter for a while anyway - would an R with a stage 1 remap expect to pass emissions on an MOT?

Also, managed to miss the modified section somehow, so thanks for getting it moved!

7 hours ago, Indemand said:

Might be a stupid question and doesn't matter for a while anyway - would an R with a stage 1 remap expect to pass emissions on an MOT?

Yes, shouldn't be an issue.  

Some good points.

Although Penguin states Revo and APR are generic maps certainly I know the APR software is on its 6th or 7th iteration of refinement.

Certainly both stage 1 & 2 codes have been refined to perfect the balance of output and better than OE refinement.

Id say it’s pretty custom to APR’s own expectations as their R&D is immense compared to others.

TVS will give you a solution for DSG mapping on 7.5 R if needed Im sure it work a treat.

Id only use the top brands including MRC for their experience and back up but use an agent close to home for back up support.

Ive been APR on my 7 since nearly new in 2016 and stage 2 in 2017 with a few track excursions thrown in and it’s been faultless. 

Ive heard the APR stage 1 tune on the 7.5R is superb better than 7R and there are many running it.

Some good points.
Although Penguin states Revo and APR are generic maps certainly I know the APR software is on its 6th or 7th iteration of refinement.
Certainly both stage 1 & 2 codes have been refined to perfect the balance of output and better than OE refinement.
Id say it’s pretty custom to APR’s own expectations as their R&D is immense compared to others.
TVS will give you a solution for DSG mapping on 7.5 R if needed Im sure it work a treat.

Id only use the top brands including MRC for their experience and back up but use an agent close to home for back up support.

Ive been APR on my 7 since nearly new in 2016 and stage 2 in 2017 with a few track excursions thrown in and it’s been faultless. 

Ive heard the APR stage 1 tune on the 7.5R is superb better than 7R and there are many running it.

Just not the gpf version.
Apr only manage 327 bhp on this model hence why most are choosing Revo as they give between 345-370 bhp.
As I’ve said previously I’ve had Apr software on 4 of my previous cars and rate it extremely high.
Just a shame that there not making numbers on the newer cars.

Having done a lot more reading we're doing Revo/TVS, one of the deciding factors is that both have retailers where we live that are highly rated.

I’m Revo and yet to get the TVS gearbox map, think that’s probably the best combination on gpf cars

1 hour ago, marshy said:

I’m Revo and yet to get the TVS gearbox map, think that’s probably the best combination on gpf carsemoji1303.png

Cheers, that helps validate my decision a bit. I know it's just promo literature but Revo do seem to be interested in making something fun and drivable rather than just higher PS - great as I have no real interest in chasing 0 - 60s. Also like the fact that they are very open about always working with the GPF - I'm a teacher so getting caught with a GPF delete would not be a good look.

Cheers, that helps validate my decision a bit. I know it's just promo literature but Revo do seem to be interested in making something fun and drivable rather than just higher PS - great as I have no real interest in chasing 0 - 60s. Also like the fact that they are very open about always working with the GPF - I'm a teacher so getting caught with a GPF delete would not be a good look.

Yeah cars are too new to be messing with gpf delete etc.
Revo stage 1 is more than enough to liven the car up yet still feel oem and still pass mot etc when the time comes

I see you've done a fair bit of research already, but Revo suggest the 7.5 Golf R gearbox is good enough (for stage 1) that you don't need a TCU tune.

I've booked my 7.5 R GPF in this coming Friday for a Revo Stage 1.

Like you, protecting drivability and "partial throttle" performance is more important for me.  80% of the time, I'm doing the school run.

I do enjoy the other 20% though 😝

2 hours ago, DadRacer said:

I see you've done a fair bit of research already, but Revo suggest the 7.5 Golf R gearbox is good enough (for stage 1) that you don't need a TCU tune.

Like you, protecting drivability and "partial throttle" performance is more important for me.  80% of the time, I'm doing the school run.

I do enjoy the other 20% though 😝

Gonna get the Revo done with the option to do the TCU as both are local, will see how it drives first. Also kinda fallen in love with a tarox BBK kit...I don't need one, I just want one 😆

I do enjoy the other 20% though

Yes your correct that a tcu tune isn’t essential with the gpf Revo stage 1.
No clutch slip or any real downsides apart from the same as every dsg when you increase the torque, sometimes the dsg will slip away in 2nd when it should really be in 1st and occasionally selects a gear higher than necessary.
Having run my Revo for over 2000 miles there’s only a handful of times I think it needs a tcu map.
My RS3 before this was exactly the same.

From what I've seen while a TCU tune may not be required for the DQ381 DSG, a decent "drivability" TCU tune eg TVS Stage 2+ (customised to the driver's preferences) will definitely make the day to day driving much more enjoyable (less lugging the engine at too-low revs & lots more).   Highly recommended (in fact I'd recommend it for cars without an ECU tune as well).