razzle

New member - Mk7 FL

Hi all. New member here! Spent the last 2 weeks reading through hundreds of topics, learning about my new car.

I was meant to drive home my '69 plate yesterday from Parkway Derby but there was a rattling noise as I drove away and they couldn't fix it there and then. I hadn't test driven it the week before as I originally went to see a different car. This was after I got them to refinish the exterior and replace the screen (twice) due to dead pixels!

Hopefully they'll get the fix sorted otherwise I'll have to reject it and be on the hunt for another....

20200913_143338.jpg

1 minute ago, SpursMadDave said:

:welcome:

If it was a dash rattle then fingers crossed its an easy fix as they can be an absolute nightmare to identify and remedy emoji1696.png

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

It was coming from drivers side rear. Sounded like a loose window pane but when I shook the door etc, no noise! The tech drove out with me and I sat in the rear seat and noise still there even with my big arse weighing the seat down, so we will see!

Hi razzle, welcome along!  Looks a lovely car. Great colour/wheel combo. 

What a shame about the rattle, I hope it’s an easy fix and you soon have your R to enjoy.  What sort of rattle was it and from roughly where (although it can be hard to diagnose such things)?   There’s a lot of info on here a little rattles so might shed some light on it and there are many ‘known’ rattles, some which can be resolved. 

Glad you’ve found the forum helpful so far and look forward you maybe posting good news soon. 

It was coming from drivers side rear. Sounded like a loose window pane but when I shook the door etc, no noise! The tech drove out with me and I sat in the rear seat and noise still there even with my big arse weighing the seat down, so we will see!
Might be worth looking at the rear seat brackets, drop the seats down and put a little bit of tape round the metal parts where the seats clip on, had that it my first R

4 minutes ago, razzle said:

The window felts and door seals are notorious for noise if they dry out, but often more a creaking sound.  Lubricating them with something like Krytox or Gummi Pflege helps.

Also the boot lid is a known rattle source and some require the bump stoppers adjusting. 

2 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Hi razzle, welcome along!  Looks a lovely car. Great colour/wheel combo. 

What a shame about the rattle, I hope it’s an easy fix and you soon have your R to enjoy.  What sort of rattle was it and from roughly where (although it can be hard to diagnose such things)?   There’s a lot of info on here a little rattles so might shed some light on it and there are many ‘known’ rattles, some which can be resolved. 

Glad you’ve found the forum helpful so far and look forward you maybe posting good news soon. 

Thank you. Posted about the noise just a sec ago, I have a feeling they're going to be taking lots of things apart on Monday.

Either way I know I'm definitely going to be getting an R soon whether it's this one or another! Here's a side on pic I forgot to add earlier.

20200912_110713.jpg

Thank you. Posted about the noise just a sec ago, I have a feeling they're going to be taking lots of things apart on Monday.

Either way I know I'm definitely going to be getting an R soon whether it's this one or another! Here's a side on pic I forgot to add earlier.
20200912_110713.thumb.jpg.d939b51d2749c6ba3b7fb46465a68ded.jpg
Trouble is the rattle doesn't always come from where you hear it, resonates to the weakest link... I also had a buzzing in my right ear at 2k rpm sounded like rear door card but traced that to a fuel line under the car!!! The rear seat one is simple takes seconds and rules it out at least

14 minutes ago, razzle said:

20200912_110713.jpg

I think we both posted at same time, lol.   Always a worry when the dealership starting hunting for a rattle!  But you sound to have a good attitude to it, in that if it’s not resolved, and you’re not happy then you’ll search for an alternative R. 

Another known one is a suspension rattle or knock at slow speeds which sounds like it’s the rear but is often the front and there is a dealer fix for that that involves greasing the top mounts etc. 

It does look a very nice car though so fingers crossed for you.