DaveRRR

Intermittent ignition screens, lights, start up sequence, no start

To cut to the chase - it was a bad battery.  2017 Golf R, 53K highway miles, 3 years old.  There was NO slow crank, dim lights, etc.  No normal signs.  As I opened the door to start it, all normal, lights came on, cluster screen started and I pressed the brake and start button.   The starter just started to engage and then stopped.  Cluster lights started sequencing in random order, needles moved slowly, froze, stopped and there were a wide variety of error messages.  The car continued to randomly cycle through various lights, messages, and needle movements as if a broken wire kept moving.  The system would obviously not allow shifting to neutral or disengage the parking brake...   We jumped the car with another car for 2-3 min at 3K RPM -  no effect.  The battery showed normal voltage on a separate meter and the diagnostic dot was black (normal).

The tow truck had a jump box and sure-enough, it started.  Dealer checked it out - no electrical system faults.  On top of the odd way the battery failed, we learned that it came with the heavier “Matt” battery for the load of the start-stop duty although this car did not have that feature (thank God).  So - the heavy duty cycle battery failed at 3 years of relatively easy duty and it created an odd intermittent cycling of lights and messages.   Good news is that when you have the dealer install the new battery - exact replacement - you get a 5 yr warranty.   

Did you happen to check the battery voltage while trying to crank the engine on the starter motor ?  I'd be prepared to bet it was well under the normal 11V.

Does your car have the extra battery terminal on the firewall ?  If it does it has the fancy BMS that doesn't keep batteries fully charged, which I believe is a factor in why batteries don't last as well as you'd expect in late model Golfs (and Audi A3s).  It is suspected that there was a batch of below std EFB batteries as well.

Exactly what happened to mine yesterday, pulled up and was sat for only a couple of minutes checking messages on phone with engine off and battery low came up. Tried to start the car and it really struggled but started, just. Did the battery soc check and it said 40%.
Didnt have a chance to take it back out until this morning and it was on 20% and barely started, went for a decent drive at least half an hour or so, got back and still on 20% and wouldn't start...
Have AA cover so called them out, tested it and fubar so new one put in, was the original battery EFB with VW part number on it, not done too bad I guess 5.5 years and 55k miles, better than a lot of people have reported

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, SpursMadDave said:

Have AA cover so called them out, tested it and fubar so new one put in, was the original battery EFB with VW part number on it, not done too bad I guess 5.5 years and 55k miles, better than a lot of people have reported

I'd say that is WAY better than what many people got before their battery carked it.  Just out of curiosity, do you usually have Auto stop/start switched off or disabled ?

1 hour ago, SpursMadDave said:

Had it disabled since I had the car just under 2 years ago emoji106.png

I have also disabled Auto stop/start.  My battery is 3 years old, and still going strong (fingers crossed that I haven't just jinxed myself)

5 hours ago, gregozedobe said:

I have also disabled Auto stop/start.  My battery is 3 years old, and still going strong (fingers crossed that I haven't just jinxed myself)

Fingers crossed for you!  Disabling Stop/Start didn’t save the battery on mine.  I disabled it with the car at just over a year old (using obdeleven) but prior to that I switched it off before every journey. Battery still died at 17k miles and 30 months anyway.  Just  reaching that same amount of mileage again on the replacement battery so am hoping it fares better than the original battery.  S/S is still disabled. 

14 hours ago, SpursMadDave said:

Exactly what happened to mine yesterday, pulled up and was sat for only a couple of minutes checking messages on phone with engine off and battery low came up. Tried to start the car and it really struggled but started, just. Did the battery soc check and it said 40%.
Didnt have a chance to take it back out until this morning and it was on 20% and barely started, went for a decent drive at least half an hour or so, got back and still on 20% and wouldn't start...

And a nice new Bosch (superior)  agm type battery! Which the AA man had in his van- you jammy sod!

Mine 5 years old certainly in jan with 40k miles and showing fully charged 😎 if people don't know some model years work by getting in car closing door and holding down mileage reset button until scrolls to battery state of charge. Just dashes means fully charged. Figure if given is % until fully charged, not level of charge if I recall correctly. 

@SpursMadDave

Mine 5 years old certainly in jan with 40k miles and showing fully charged  if people don't know some model years work by getting in car closing door and holding down mileage reset button until scrolls to battery state of charge. Just dashes means fully charged. Figure if given is % until fully charged, not level of charge if I recall correctly. 
[mention=24525]SpursMadDave[/mention]

Not sure how reliable the results that gives are though, mine showed 40% which when I read up meant 40% till discharged, but in the morning it was 20% till discharge so it had charged itself up??? And it didn't start... My P3 gauge showed 12.3V when trying to turn over and 14.3 when running the night before...

On 16/09/2020 at 00:14, gregozedobe said:

Does your car have the extra battery terminal on the firewall ?  If it does it has the fancy BMS that doesn't keep batteries fully charged, which I believe is a factor in why batteries don't last as well as you'd expect in late model Golfs (and Audi A3s). 

On 17/09/2020 at 17:49, Booth11 said:

Fingers crossed for you!  Disabling Stop/Start didn’t save the battery on mine.  I disabled it with the car at just over a year old (using obdeleven) but prior to that I switched it off before every journey. Battery still died at 17k miles and 30 months anyway.  Just  reaching that same amount of mileage again on the replacement battery so am hoping it fares better than the original battery.  S/S is still disabled. 

My finger are also crossed, as I'm approaching your distance and past your battery's age (also with S/S always switched off then disabled).

Hmm, I definitely suspect that VW's attempt to reduce fuel consumption by fitting a fancy BMS contributes to shorter battery life.  Of course if it means VW & dealers make higher profits from selling replacement batteries more frequently then their bean counters are going to be happy ... 

13 hours ago, SpursMadDave said:

Not sure how reliable the results that gives are though, mine showed 40% which when I read up meant 40% till discharged, but in the morning it was 20% till discharge so it had charged itself up??? And it didn't start... My P3 gauge showed 12.3V when trying to turn over and 14.3 when running the night before...

12.3V seems a very high cranking voltage, but maybe the battery wasn't able to supply enough current to the starter motor.  14.3V would indicate the alternator was trying to charge up the battery as best as it could.

12.3V seems a very high cranking voltage, but maybe the battery wasn't able to supply enough current to the starter motor.  14.3V would indicate the alternator was trying to charge up the battery as best as it could.

Yeah it was toast, went for a 40 odd minute drive and it didn't charge it at all, glad it was just a duff battery and not the alternator!