Adam1

Helix Subwoofer - Rectangular Or Spare Wheel?

3 minutes ago, PocketRocket said:

Is it possible to close down the floor/lid? emoji4.png

Sent fra min SM-N975F via Tapatalk

Looks like it’s flush with the boot lip. It’s meant to be OEM fit on the Rs but you have to lose the spare tyre. You can still keep

both but then the boot won’t fold flat

I've had to build a 2 inch frame in my octavia to keep the wheel, but its a "fullsize" 16inch steel so the sub sits on top rather than in. 

In the octavia it doesn't make much difference to boot space loosing the 2 inches on depth! 

I also have the rectangular one which i bought off @SpursMadDave but recently bagged a mint round one. 

I'm hard pushed to tell the difference in sound apart from maybe the round one is a bit tighter in bass probably due to the acoustics and the fact its enclosed in wheel well. The speakers and amp/dsp are identical. 

The rectangular one has velcro strips on bottom and even on my rubber boot mat never moved despite some chucking about when driving. 

Rectangular one is going in the Passat when I can be bothered to wire it up! 

Neither is a match for my dynaudio in R though but I really need to sort passenger door rattle when I have it loud which irritates!

I've had to build a 2 inch frame in my octavia to keep the wheel, but its a "fullsize" 16inch steel so the sub sits on top rather than in. 

In the octavia it doesn't make much difference to boot space loosing the 2 inches on depth! 

I also have the rectangular one which i bought off [mention=24525]SpursMadDave[/mention] but recently bagged a mint round one. 

I'm hard pushed to tell the difference in sound apart from maybe the round one is a bit tighter in bass probably due to the acoustics and the fact its enclosed in wheel well. The speakers and amp/dsp are identical. 

The rectangular one has velcro strips on bottom and even on my rubber boot mat never moved despite some chucking about when driving. 

Neither is a match for my dynaudio in R though but I really need to sort passenger door rattle when I have it loud which irritates!

Yeah I remember you saying before, I'm not sure why it sounded so different in my R, I swapped the Amp/Dsp from each to the other and it made no difference so I put it down to the actual enclosure maybe... biggest difference was bass, I had both coded the same too. I was more than happy with the rectangular one but as soon as I heard it alongside the round one I decided I was keeping the round one.
Glad to hear it's still going strong

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, jrw said:

I also have the rectangular one which i bought off @SpursMadDave but recently bagged a mint round one. 

Where's the best place to try and get ahold of a second hand one? Have you had more luck on here or on facebook groups or others? I'm after a helix sub but don't really fancy spending £400 on a new one.

16 minutes ago, Adam1 said:

Where's the best place to try and get ahold of a second hand one? Have you had more luck on here or on facebook groups or others? I'm after a helix sub but don't really fancy spending £400 on a new one.

I got them both off here. 

I bought a round one off ebay a couple of months back but it arrived with a blown speaker and the amp only powers when you plug it in with power on loom already live. I managed to get a refund and still have it.   So I want to take amp apart and see if I can repair and then try and find a compatible sub speaker from somewhere and sell on!

Just set up a search alert for helix on ebay. They pop up from time to time.