Raiden

Claim issues

Need to sort out this issue before my wife and her mum kill each other.

So my wife’s old mini got stolen 2 years ago and at the time it was worth 8-10k. The policy says it’s worth only 3k as she now wants to claim because the car wasn’t found in the end. The insurance company said they would only pay up more if the broker agrees to it which at the moment he doesn’t. How can I get this guy to pull his finger out? I’ve got proof that the same car today is worth well over 10k. Or are we screwed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Raiden said:

Need to sort out this issue before my wife and her mum kill each other.

So my wife’s old mini got stolen 2 years ago and at the time it was worth 8-10k. The policy says it’s worth only 3k as she now wants to claim because the car wasn’t found in the end. The insurance company said they would only pay up more if the broker agrees to it which at the moment he doesn’t. How can I get this guy to pull his finger out? I’ve got proof that the same car today is worth well over 10k. Or are we screwed?

Your posts raises a few questions and things requiring clarification. Firstly, has has it really take 2 years to finally decide that the car won't be found (!), or was there a long delay in deciding whether or not to claim for the loss? The insurance company will generally pay out (what they regard as) the "market value" at the time the car was stolen (i.e. 2 years ago). As the car can't be inspected, the insurance company would need info (i.e. proof) about mileage and general condition at the time it was stolen as these can dramatically affect the market value. It is not clear to me who has said that the car is worth only £3k. Do you mean it would only be worth £3k now (if found undamaged)? If so, that's not really relevant. The broker simply acts on your behalf in discussions with the insurance company if you think the valuation is too low, but that is usually only if he agrees with you, supported by written/photographic evidence. Finally I'm not sure what you mean by "same car" in the last sentence, as it reads as though the car that was stolen could somehow be valued higher today than it was 2 years ago?

Making a claim in this case is no different from any other. You have to weigh up the £excess and (especially) the down-the-line cost implications. The mere fact that you have had a car stolen may affect future insurance costs (I am no expert on that one) but it definitely will (probably by a large amount) if you make a claim for total loss.

If you are convinced that your have a good case (for undervaluation) and are not getting any help from your broker you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service..

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/businesses/complaints-deal/insurance/motor-insurance/vehicle-valuations-write-offs

Was it a proper British Leyland mini?  If it was did you have it insured as a classic with agreed value?  If it was then there should be some supporting documentation either with the broker or insurer.

I have two classics myself and values have gone silly in the last couple of years so I can understand why the price has gone up.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

It was a 1971 Austin. The broker has asked me to email him it’s last MOT and proof it was SORN.

He said I’ll try and squeeze more money for it but he’s doubtful. Mother in law is just stupid and I knew she screwed this up years. She’s one of them who thinks she knows everything and knows absolutely nothing and wonders why she gets grief all the time. What a muppet, Kermit the frog could of done a better job then her and he has one hand up his backside

Your posts raises a few questions and things requiring clarification. Firstly, has has it really take 2 years to finally decide that the car won't be found (!), or was there a long delay in deciding whether or not to claim for the loss? The insurance company will generally pay out (what they regard as) the "market value" at the time the car was stolen (i.e. 2 years ago). As the car can't be inspected, the insurance company would need info (i.e. proof) about mileage and general condition at the time it was stolen as these can dramatically affect the market value. It is not clear to me who has said that the car is worth only £3k. Do you mean it would only be worth £3k now (if found undamaged)? If so, that's not really relevant. The broker simply acts on your behalf in discussions with the insurance company if you think the valuation is too low, but that is usually only if he agrees with you, supported by written/photographic evidence. Finally I'm not sure what you mean by "same car" in the last sentence, as it reads as though the car that was stolen could somehow be valued higher today than it was 2 years ago?

Making a claim in this case is no different from any other. You have to weigh up the £excess and (especially) the down-the-line cost implications. The mere fact that you have had a car stolen may affect future insurance costs (I am no expert on that one) but it definitely will (probably by a large amount) if you make a claim for total loss.

If you are convinced that your have a good case (for undervaluation) and are not getting any help from your broker you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service..

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/businesses/complaints-deal/insurance/motor-insurance/vehicle-valuations-write-offs

When it first got reported my wife wanted to keep the number plate and all its history because she’s owned it for 30 years. The insurance said we had up to 2 years to make the claim. Unfortunately my wife has been very emotional over it and trying to get DVLA to let her have the plate to stick on another car which all along I’ve thought the DVLA were correct but me being a man I know nothing. So as the clock has been ticking and the car not found I’ve said to her you need to claim otherwise you’ll end up with nothing so at least get the money and stick it into the new one you’ve bought.

Mother in law is just a pain in the backside and loves control. She doesn’t like it half the family ask me for advice on cars as she feels it’s her job. For whatever reason the car and all the insurance is in her name so everytime me and my wife try to sort this mess she pokes her nose in saying it’s being dealt with but she does F all. Today was the final straw!!!! On the phone for whatever reason she’s told the insurance company don’t worry about the money plus most of the cars history she’s miss placed. So we’ve said that’s it naff off so my wife is pretending to be her on the phone and I’ve hunted for as much paperwork as I can. I’ve told her if we get 3k she can come up with 5k to make the difference as she has been BS for years saying it had an agreed value. She even had the cheek to get the hump because now her premium will go up next year.

17 hours ago, Raiden said:

It was a 1971 Austin. The broker has asked me to email him it’s last MOT and proof it was SORN.

He said I’ll try and squeeze more money for it but he’s doubtful. Mother in law is just stupid and I knew she screwed this up years. She’s one of them who thinks she knows everything and knows absolutely nothing and wonders why she gets grief all the time. What a muppet, Kermit the frog could of done a better job then her and he has one hand up his backside

Ah, I see. Didn't realise that it was a classic car, so now understand how the value might have increased. These (insurance claim) things are difficult enough to sort out at the best of times, so near impossible with unwanted family interference. Hope your wife gets it sorted to her satisfaction. Bad enough losing a much loved car...