Evening Folks hope your all doing okay.

Decided to remove the JB1 from R and try a Revo Stage 1 remap. Car is standard except a drop in filter, turbo elbow and pipe (snow grate removed). Still running a pedal box too.

The remap pulls harder through the rev range and there is more power at the top end than the jb1 gave. Its drives like factory but with a load more power. 

Is it worth 3 times the price of a used jb1.....quick answer for me is mmm yes. But different horses for different courses. It also came down the the garage doing the work - very experienced mech / race car builder tuner. And local too! Got me involved and made me feel right at home, so worth every penny. Discount on future work tops it off.

I did consider the dsg remap but feel its not need with the 7 speed dsg box, especially as I always drive in 'manual' . No issues so far. If any slippage occurs ill get Tvs to up the clamping pressure. 

The in dash power gauge has been recalibrated and reads 287kw /385 bhp. Not sure how accurate that is.... I would estimate torque at 500ish. It really does pull hard in gear now.

20201005_115152.jpg

IMG_20200807_181144_739.jpg

Nice, thanks for the review. I'm planning on going stage 1 when my warranty is up (or close to it), and Revo was on my list to look closely in to, but I was unsure if they did GPF cars yet. I've got a revo tuner very local to me too.

Good to hear you're pleased with it

---------------------------------------------
Come on, get up. Let me see your bruises.
---------------------------------------------

I did exactly this in July.
Had ran the jb4 for a couple of months and was really underwhelmed with it.
Revo offer the best power increase on gpf cars and always they’re the safest around.
For me it’s night and day over jb4 and I don’t regret getting the map one bit.
Once I get my BCS exhaust then next mid is tvs gearbox map.

I'll be adding downpipe sports cat and intercooler but keeping exhaust std....I think.

The jb1 was pretty good for a plug in box, I just couldn't map the top end properly. The revo is generally a more smoother package all round.

During testing of the revo stage 1 on the opf they had to dial back the torque to 500, they were surprised how much an opf equipped car made. 

• 2 weeks later...
I spoke to Revo not long ago WRT a TCU tune for the DQ381.  They wouldn't commit to a date but did say it would be "not too long" and "this year".  

Wonder why it’s taking them so long?? I’ve messaged them again but this is what they had to say.

“Yes its recommended to get TCU software with our Stage 2 ECU software to increase clamping pressure. Speak with your Local Revo dealer to see if they offer a third party option for the gearbox”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On 23/10/2020 at 22:57, PEHZY said:

Wonder why it’s taking them so long?? I’ve messaged them again but this is what they had to say.

“Yes its recommended to get TCU software with our Stage 2 ECU software to increase clamping pressure. Speak with your Local Revo dealer to see if they offer a third party option for the gearbox”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They even advertise a TCU tune as part of the stage 2 Performance Pack but obviously it doesn’t exist. I’ve read their other DSG tunes are mediocre at best and don’t really address the common complaints on the 6 speed box. It’ll likely be priced similarly to the TVS 2+ too. 

On 24/10/2020 at 22:57, graham090883 said:

Been told Stage 2 will be released soon that keeps the cat and gpf. With the normal extras should be around 400bhp.

If Revo do a Stage 2 tune that works OK with the standard OEM downpipe that could cause a bit of a stir in the Golf tuning world.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Current Donation Goals

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Golphin
      Hello. 

I'm currently running Revo Stage 1 with a panel filter (snow grate removed), turbo pipe and muffler delete. 

Is going to stage 2 worth it?  

Who here has been stage 1 then moved on to stage 2 with Revo with GPF?

Interested to hear the pro's and con's.
    • By Gee30R
      Had the mountune M52 tune on my 2017 Mk7 R now for a couple of weeks, and I should have done it ages ago what a difference.. The only thing that’s taking a bit of getting used to is the DSG stage 1 map, I’m finding that in town driving it’s going between 3rd and 4th a bit too much although you can go into manual to get around that.

I have noticed though that if the DSG is put into Eco it seems to stop the hunting between 3rd and 4th, probably a daft question but in doing this I’m wondering does it knock the performance back down to the standard 300ps or does it stay at 360ps and just dull the gearbox a bit.?
    • By purplepulser
      So I've just come back from MRC Banbury, after having the full intake hardware fit treatment, including muffler delete, along with their Custom Stage 1 ECU and TCU remap.
      I can safely say I'm so impressed with the results.

After intake stuff fitted

Car sitting waiting to go on the Dyno, it was a fantastic day weather wise. Clear blue skies and sunny, but cold. Good for intake temps.

Dyno Results
      Power wise, from stock run with intake hardware fitted, it made 323ps. 
      After the 2nd dyno run following the remap, it made 395ps.

Torque, from stock, it made 413.89Nm (305.27lb ft)
      After the 2nd dyno run following the remap it made 547.63Nm (403.91lb ft)

One the brakes side of things, I decided to assess the direct OEM replacement hooked discs all round, along with braided lines from HEL. Pads, I've gone with Ferodo DS3.12 for the front, and Ferodo DS2500 for the rears.
      Front 

Rear

I purchased this totally stock car back in Dec 2020, and although it was quick, I always felt it was holding back a lot. An example of this is that I could be on a dual carriageway doing 50mph for instance and floor it, and it would pick up speed ok (relatively speaking) but there didn't seem to be any urgency to it. I always got the impression it was constantly restricting the boost and fuel, deliberately limiting power, just to maintain its factory output figures. In stock form, most of its speed seems to be concentrated in bursts from standstill up to about 60mph. 
      I had some time to test the results on my 100 mile drive back home!

Now, its completely different. Everything about it is urgent. From standstill, not using launch control, it really punches in the power, and the DSG shifts are now more aggressive and quicker. I now get the sense of being pushed back in the seat while accelerating in every gear. The power delivery doesn't stop either, it just keeps going until it hits the rev limiter and then upshifts.  If I put it in manual mode, it is just that, and it wont upshift until I change and will bounce off the rev limiter.
      And then there is the noise. I can hear much more of the intake noises. Makes a massive difference. Oh and it pops and bangs a lot more in race mode!

I don't have a draggy, so I can't test its 0-60 times, but I imagine its going to be less than 4 seconds.

Looking forward to Mallory Park on Thursday.

What does everyone think? Any questions, let me know.
      As always, let me know of any further recommendations.

• By Badger
      It’s been a mission searching for my unicorn in the current (lockdown#3) environment, and decided to drop expectations rather than up my original budget as COVID tax seems to be hitting R prices hard.

That said, I’m chuffed to bits and really can’t complain with the beast I’ve ended up with 😬 Out of Lapiz and Indium, the blue seemed to show chips way worse, and also appeared to struggle for depth. Indi has masses of depth and reminds me of my old anthracite Mk4 which was my gateway car for detailing and modding 😍 There also appears to be scene tax applied to Lapiz, so was happy to go for the slightly stealthier grey.

It’s been a couple of weeks now and have managed to give it a decent decontamination and single pass with a green hex pad and some 2400 menzerna, then a coat of good old collinite 476s to give it a bit of protection until I get a chance to do a bit more of a thorough seeing to.

The exhausts hadn’t been cleaned before. Ever. In fact I’m fairly certain the single previous owner actively sought out soot to ingrain into the chrome tips. It’s had scotchbrite/autosol/pink stuff/mother’s so far and the tips are all showing some shine again, but far from finished 😂

Alcantara seats and interior plastics came up nicely without anything industrial being required, so just brushes, vacuum, damp microfibres and some AG shampoo and various interior detailers. Main gripe I have is a collapsed drivers bolster, which is down to the frame. Will maybe just swap out the lower foam and refit, but longer term will hopefully be swapped out anyway. I have a hankering to retrim some S3 sportbacks (? The ones that look like an angry, quilted cobra?) maybe....

Performance wise I’m chuffed as it is, and until we can drive for fun again and I get used to the power on tap, it’ll probably remain as is. Will likely get an open cone, pipe and elbow for noise at some point tho.

The wheels are tiny and too tucked, but ideal for winters and have decent tread on Contis so will maybe space them for the next few months before replacing wheels and tyres for 19s and PS4s. Spacers on the rear look like I could do 20mm, so bolt on, but front will probably need <15mm so bolt through may be my only option. Not sure how I feel about extended bolts on drive axle, but may just need to get over myself and accept I’m not an engineer/mathematician. Please feel free to correct my flat-earth fears here 🤣

We live on a new estate and roads haven’t been finished yet, so need to see what levels I have onto my drive before assessing lowering options, as well as whatever wheels it ends up on. Not in a rush though, as sits quite respectably imho.

I’ve already deleted the airbag stickers with ezmods replacements as that is a massive bugbear. Have fitted extended ally flappy paddles, and have some dynamic wing mirror indicators to go on once it dries up a bit out there. Also have blue footwell leds on hand, and have looms for the rears on order so will bang all that in once everything has arrived and then relocate a front one to the boot.

I’ve used OBDeleven for a few years on my other cars, so have fiddled and made some changes; killed the soundaktor, scandi DRLs and three second delay for washer jets. Will probably do more as I get further into the forum and find more inspiration. Have to say, it’s brilliant to find such an active forum for the R. Many seem to have died off in favour of FB now, and that just doesn’t serve the same purpose in my eyes. Good work, mods 💪🏼

Doing this on an evil iPad is painful, but maybe I attached pics, maybe I didn’t. Life is unpredictable like that