PRP74

Driving in the winter/snow

Hey all,

I know we don’t have any snow yet, but wondering how the R is in these conditions? Living in London we won’t get much but just wondering what’s it like in ice/snowy weather.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, PRP74 said:

Hey all,

I know we don’t have any snow yet, but wondering how the R is in these conditions? Living in London we won’t get much but just wondering what’s it like in ice/snowy weather.

Thanks.

A lot depends on where you live and your journies.  Start time, length, importance. 
How essential is your travel.  Ponder this carefully. 
Winter Wheels and tyres can be a big expense. Easily upwards of £1500. A waste if you don’t need them. 
All Season / Cross Climate Tyres are a good compromise for many. 
Have a Good Browse on YTUBE. 

Tyre Reviews

A great source of info and guidance. 

You'll find much to interest and help. . 

Home working or Holiday a consideration too.  All depends on your circs and location. 
It will likely be a knackered, abandoned Crate on slicks that blocks your way. 
HTH. 

There’s no doubt that a winter set up (wheels and tyres) will provide the very best for not only snowy roads, but winter driving in general, low temps, ice etc. But I do think location and local climate is a factor.  I live in the far south east of Kent and winters are pretty mild on the whole with little snow (I know it’s not all about snowy roads when it comes to winter driving though) and I’ve never felt it warranted having a winter wheels/tyre setup so have always kept on summer tyres (good ones - Contis and last few years Michelin PS4S with good amount of tread going into winter period - I’ve just had a new set of the latter fitted) and not had any problems this far.  It goes without saying though that’s driving to the conditions.  

To expand a little Pryesh on earlier. 

I agonised about the Winter Tyre thing last year. I’ve never had a performance 4wd car before. Never had special winter tyres. Never been stranded or unable to complete a journey , in snow and winter conditions.   I have driven for over 40 years in the North East, Northumberland and Cumbria areas.  Not though in extreme or remote locations. 

I obsessed on it. I do NOT need to travel daily for work.  Nor does Lovely  Wife. 

However, I wanted to ensure my R is kitted out for any conditions we may encounter in our usage. Low temps, ice, wet and Snow on roads.   So although OTT,  I bought some great Used Winter Tyres and wheels from another Member late 2019. 

The Winter was very mild thereafter!😂. I did get to enjoy the benefits of my Buy on a few bad weather days, and many cold,wet days.   Grip, traction and braking are very impressive as is general performance.  So I’m happy and will feel as safe as I can make us for several Winters ahead, given my light annual mileage. 

The spin off is my Pretoria’s stay tucked up in the garage for the poor weather and roads.  But the fitted summer Continentals will take longer to wear out before replaced with MPS4S tyres 😂

Summer tyres give the best and their best in Warmer conditions. All Season Tyres give much of Winter Tyre benefits and can be used all year round.  The braking performance of summer tyres reduces markedly in tests in the wet when temps get down nearer to frost and freezing.  All seasons will lack the higher levels of performance of summer tyres in hot weather conditions, even in UK.  

I think you need to look at the winter climate stats for you location and where you drive in winter before shelling out on other than summer tyres.  You may get by with Summers perfectly well. But if finances permit,  you need to travel to other parts of the country, and you wanted to be sure of best performance, braking, grip, traction then few could criticise your safe preferences by purchasing All Season tyres in for winter use.

Apologies for burbling on, but you can spend a great deal of time deliberating.  Honest!

Good luck with whatever you decide. 😀

For the amount of snow you’ll likely get in London the R will be more than capable enough.

I would be more concerned by numpties (or those who genuinely made a mistake) sliding into you than the R being able to get around...

Winter tyres are a great excuse for a second set of wheels though - currently using it as an excuse to get a third set of wheels, although lack of storage space is proving difficult.... but I’ve got a bigger shed being delivered in the next few weeks!!

I live on the south coast, so not much snow (and I use my truck when we do). But for several years now, I've changed my summer tyres. Of old I used to go full winters, but I deemed it unnecessary so am more than happy using CrossClimate+. They were perfectly happy going to the alps and working in -10ºc and a light covering of snow. And I had a set of chains if need be. 

I believe a CrossClimate 2 is about to be released, which is supposed to be even better.

You might find this useful (for the current CCs and not CC2)

And if you want all season tyres, then this might be worth a gander...

NB - there is a 4 year gap between this video and the one above, so tech has moved on. Or rather, other manufacturers have caught up  and also why Mich have a CC2 coming out soon.

Living in london - I would probably look at your summer tyres and check tread level.

If under 3mm I know the tyres are still legal, but you will find in rain storms etc, the car will not be as good as having a higher tread.

Depends on age of tyres as well, tyres do crack a little after a while, again this could affect performance in wintery conditions.

I'm waiting a bit longer but will replace my bridgestones in November, they are over 3 years old, got 3mm of tread left on the front (my car has had lots of long motorway runs, but are also a slightly harder tyre compared to others). My back has 4mm left currently so undecided on them.

13 minutes ago, Charles M said:

I live on the south coast, so not much snow (and I use my truck when we do). But for several years now, I've changed my summer tyres. Of old I used to go full winters, but I deemed it unnecessary so am more than happy using CrossClimate+. They were perfectly happy going to the alps and working in -10ºc and a light covering of snow. And I had a set of chains if need be. 

I made the same move a few years ago.  I used to use Winter tyres but when I swapped cars and needed new spare wheels I had them shod in all-seasons rather than full on Winters.  I get it's very odd to use an all-season for only 2 of the seasons but for the roads/climate where I live the all-seasons have proved to be more than competent.  The biggest bonus is that they actually perform very close to a sorted Summer tyre in the dry and when the mercury starts to rise again, whereas I found Winter tyres can be poor at dry braking and do get squirmy in the corners due to sipe movement.  

Living in N.E. Scotland and driving around the Cairngorms, I have a set of 18” winter wheels and tyres.  When required they are indispensable and generally give more confidence from Nov to March, on wet, greasy, icy, snowy and generally poorer conditions.

I will be selling them soon, as I’m moving on, car-wise, and bought similar for the new car.

23 minutes ago, Deano said:

Unless you can get past everyone else that gets stuck then it doesn’t really matter how capable your car is

Take the point.  
But if nearly everybody stayed home. The rioads would still be blocked by a few Numpties in Crate /Shed 4x4s in bald tyres.  The slick tyre Brigade will be the Last to stay home.  Some who Need to, might just get thru safely if properly kitted out. 
Just sayin like. 😂

I run both my Golfs on summer / winter tyres to ensure that maximum grip is available all the time. It’s less about speed and more about minimising braking distance, as my family’s safety is paramount. I live in Kent and we usually have fairly mild winters. However, winter tyres are designed to work in the lower temperatures (10 degrees C or less IIRC) which is what we generally drop down to from December through to March. Along with those cold damp days, it makes a lot of sense when travelling along country lanes which never see a gritter. Water management on the winter tyres is so much better also. The tyres cut through standing water without any issues whereas you can feel the summer tyres being pushed up when the tyres momentarily aqua plain whilst driving through standing water. As much as we try and avoid standing water, it’s not always possible.

Another plus is that fact all the wheels get a full deep clean and refresh of protection every six months or so whilst off the vehicles.