Darlo

M135i test drive

I am in the early stages of looking what to replace my 7.5 golf R estate with when it goes back in Feb next year. 

Having previously been a BMW fan boy with various models....130i, 330i, 330D, Z3M, 530i I moved to on to VW/Audi with a couple of mk 7 gti’s and an S3 (8v). 

A lease deal popped for March delivery so I thought I would head down to Bmw and give the new M135i a go. After a quick chat they handed me the keys and said crack on.

I expected to be blown away by it but I can honestly say I wasn’t. It was a very nice place to be interior wise but it it really didn’t set the world on fire. I would say the quality of the interior was on a par with my golf but no better. It didn’t feel as quick as my R or my wife’s A35, the gearbox was slightly nicer, it didn’t sound as good as my R or wife’s car, the handling was slightly better than my R and on a par with the A35. Don’t get me wrong it was a good car but nothing special. 

Now given this is going to cost me £100 a month more than my Golf and £20 more than her A35 I decided to walk away.

It has made me realise what a bloody good car the Golf R still is. It’s three years old in Feb so needs go back but I have enquired to

extend again as value for money wise the R is unbelievable. Although I expect the monthly to increase too much to justify keeping it into its 4th year. I do prefer the wife’s car but it’s mainly the interior and the silly pops and bangs from the exhaust I like (as does my 3 year old ha ha).

I have been in to Audi and looked over the new S3 but too much chrome and I won’t be able to afford a vorsprung model as I can only just afford a poverty  spec S3.... although I have to say the new S3 interior is bloody lovely and head and shoulders above the M135i.

Im now considering used for the first time in years. A 340i or Rs3 perhaps. Plenty of time to think I suppose!

Interesting review, I've not been in a M135i.

It's got more torque than the Golf R so I'd have thought it would make it "feel" a little bit quicker.... interesting.

It's probably got a bigger boot mind!

7 hours ago, dopper99 said:

Interesting review, I've not been in a M135i.

It's got more torque than the Golf R so I'd have thought it would make it "feel" a little bit quicker.... interesting.

It's probably got a bigger boot mind!

The test car only had 1500 miles on which could mean it isn’t quite run in and loosened up yet and perhaps why the exhaust didn’t sound that great (weirdly it did out side the car at idle) but sound inside the cabin wasn’t great.

Think the best way to describe it in my opinion as a generic 300ish bhp 4wd hot hatch that sits nicely with its competitors. Just nothing particularly special about.

If it was cheaper I would probably have gone for it. But with Covid and brexit car prices to buy and lease are on the increase. Audi said I probably have another month before I need to order. Bmw seemed confident they could turn around an order to deliver in 3 months. 

2 hours ago, Darlo said:

The test car only had 1500 miles on which could mean it isn’t quite run in and loosened up yet and perhaps why the exhaust didn’t sound that great (weirdly it did out side the car at idle) but sound inside the cabin wasn’t great.

Think the best way to describe it in my opinion as a generic 300ish bhp 4wd hot hatch that sits nicely with its competitors. Just nothing particularly special about.

If it was cheaper I would probably have gone for it. But with Covid and brexit car prices to buy and lease are on the increase. Audi said I probably have another month before I need to order. Bmw seemed confident they could turn around an order to deliver in 3 months. 

Not sure if you've heard of TRL (Tony Lewis) but in BMW circles he is a well respected BMW sales guy who works for Berry BMW in London. I bought an new M3 off him a few years ago and a great guy to deal with.

Here are some finance examples with various options fitted of his latest offerings on the M135i. Not sure how these prices fit in with what you've been quoted......

https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=130611&sid=e05d9c33be6b683974c2bc5016a794f9

My r estate stayed at the same price for the year 3-4.

VW won't do a lease past 4 years.

I have no idea what I could repace it for, the R doesn't massivly excite me but I don't think much else will anyway!

24 minutes ago, dopper99 said:

Not sure if you've heard of TRL (Tony Lewis) but in BMW circles he is a well respected BMW sales guy who works for Berry BMW in London. I bought an new M3 off him a few years ago and a great guy to deal with.

Here are some finance examples with various options fitted of his latest offerings on the M135i. Not sure how these prices fit in with what you've been quoted......

https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=130611&sid=e05d9c33be6b683974c2bc5016a794f9

Already spoke to him thanks. £50 a month on a pcp on a lease. I’ve spoke to one of Tony’s colleagues who deals with leases and they couldn’t match the deal I was offered a 

10 minutes ago, Darlo said:

Already spoke to him thanks. £50 a month on a pcp on a lease. I’ve spoke to one of Tony’s colleagues who deals with leases and they couldn’t match the deal I was offered a 

Ok sounds like you've got it covered. 😉

I'm keen to see where you end up with this as going through a similar quandry myself. Even considering going old school scooby (not sure I can handle the image) or a late gen1 997 911 (not convinced it's a daily given values seem to have bottomed and may soon be on the increase)

20 hours ago, ChrisS said:

I'm keen to see where you end up with this as going through a similar quandry myself. Even considering going old school scooby (not sure I can handle the image) or a late gen1 997 911 (not convinced it's a daily given values seem to have bottomed and may soon be on the increase)

I’m all over the show with what to next now. I have had new cars for years after a couple of bad experiences buying used. I’m doing the mrs head in with it all ha ha. 

Like you I have looked at older cars. I need to tick the V8 box at some point. If a decent Rs4 or e90 m3 came up on a forum I would be tempted. 

Just waiting for a price back from VW for an extension. In the meantime I will carry on tyre kicking 

1 hour ago, golf7.5r said:

If you're considering used, why not just buy your R outright?

Yes another option for sure. When I enquired before with other lease cars they have been pretty good value.

So little update on this.

After a load of messing about about VW finally got back to me on extending the lease. 6 months is almost the same price per month as a pay currently. For a 12 month extension it is £125 more a month?! I have tried to query it but they are so hard to deal with at the min.  I haven’t even bothered asking the price yet and I would have to do this nearer the end of lease so I can speak to BCA. 

Now I’ve been doing some man maths... it will need tyres (£350ish), 3rd year service (guessing £300ish), an MOT and will obviously be out of warranty. If I were doing 12 months I would consider extending the warranty but wouldn’t for 6.

Seems a lot of outlay for 6 months motoring when I can hand it back a couple of weeks before the end of my contract and avoid all these costs.

Yeah basically I’m talking myself in to a new car! So still ok the look out for a deal. Leaning towards new S3 as I don’t suspect the mk8 R will be released anytime soon. But prices are sky high at the min so a waiting game for anything that pops up. If an m135i deal we’re to drop in at a bargain price I would be tempted, but it would have to be cheap.

Imho the m135i is too expensive for what it is. If it were a bargain like the original Mk7R lease deals, I could be tempted but otherwise it is very dull... and becomes very expensive when you start adding a few options.

They’ve moved it towards a much better daily but it’s so boring imho.

I would look to pick up one of the last mk7.5 if they were on a cheap deal. Will have good spec and know you like them whilst the new offerings/alternatives aren’t really worth changing for so aren’t missing out.

Will be interested to see what you go for as I must admit to itchy feet having had an R for 6 years now...

Yeah my ears are pricked you having read the mk8 forum and the imminent release of the mk8 R. They have always been good for a cheap/good value lease. Let’s hope it continues with the mk8. Although I maybe pushing it for a March delivery and the forecast prices means and S3/m135i maybe better value with the standard spec you get. 

I’ve been on auto trader today messing with budgets and cars. Mrs thinks I’m mad 🤣

Yeah my ears are pricked you having read the mk8 forum and the imminent release of the mk8 R. They have always been good for a cheap/good value lease. Let’s hope it continues with the mk8. Although I maybe pushing it for a March delivery and the forecast prices means and S3/m135i maybe better value with the standard spec you get. 

I’ve been on auto trader today messing with budgets and cars. Mrs thinks I’m mad

If they drop the mk8 R with a super cheap lease I could be tempted whilst I wait for the new rs3... just to mix it up a bit. Probably better to just keep my R really though as it’s superb and I still enjoy it!!