Jump to content
AndyR

Mk8 VW Golf R Reveal - 4 Nov

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, AndyR said:

Hi All. It’s nearly here.

 

twitter has news on the Golf R reveal date. It’s 4 Nov 2020

 

https://www.motor1.com/news/449001/2021-vw-golf-r-teaser/

 

So remember remember the 4th Of November.

 

Great find on that info 👍. I keep checking regularly and missed this.

 

However, I dont like what I'm seeing so far. 😄

Couldnt have shown a worse shot of the car. LOL!

 

image.png.620f796e1587f3679c720f0a0145a621.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

316 BHP? Pfffftt. I’m struggling to see anything to make me want this car. Power increase is negligible, questionable looks, stupid tech, no three door or manual - what’s the point? I read somewhere about VW’s supposed financial woes and this would seem to back it up - they’ve not really gone to town on it have they? I think they’ve lost the plot tbh.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, camelsac2002 said:

316 BHP? Pfffftt. I’m struggling to see anything to make me want this car. Power increase is negligible, questionable looks, stupid tech, no three door or manual - what’s the point? I read somewhere about VW’s supposed financial woes and this would seem to back it up - they’ve not really gone to town on it have they? I think they’ve lost the plot tbh.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


You like then.  
 

😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless it’s a lot heavier, 316hp will be fine and they’re changing the 4WD system which could well make it even better to drive which is more important than a few extra horses.

 

But while the basic powertrain isn’t particularly different to that of the previous model, its all-wheel-drive system is due a bigger upgrade with the implementation of a clutch pack on the rear drive unit, giving the next Golf R the availability to power torque vector between the rear wheels.

This type of rear clutch pack, as first seen in a European hot hatchback on the Mk4 Ford Focus RS, increases the flexibility of an all-wheel-drive car’s power delivery, in the process allowing for more direct control of the power split. This represents a big shift from the early Haldex all-wheel-drive systems seen on early Golf Rs and Audi S3s, which should make the next Golf R more entertaining on road and track than previous models.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10bhp more - crap man, i wish i held off now as i coulda had 10bhp more and full vacuum cleaner GPF loveliness. 

 

I also am gutted that i have controls that respond on the first press - i envy those with the new multipress random function controls. 

That's the thing i hate about my mk7.5 - i press demist and it gives me the demister, i turn a dial to a temperature and it just does it....where's the fun in that! - i want to stab multiple times at a piece of solid plastic and wait to see just what function i get - its exciting as you never know just what's gonna happen (if anything).

 

Then there's my boring front end that looks like a car - i want the full on munter look with winged eyelash headlights and a grill with holes big enough for squirrels, hedgehogs or general rodents to get stuck in, along with a whole tree's worth of leaves to keep the radiator and intercooler nice and warm.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, camelsac2002 said:

I’m struggling to see anything to make me want this car. Power increase is negligible, questionable looks, stupid tech, no three door or manual - what’s the point? I read somewhere about VW’s supposed financial woes and this would seem to back it up - they’ve not really gone to town on it have they? I think they’ve lost the plot tbh.
 

 

Quite a few on here were saying that about a year ago and I have seen nothing since to change my mind. Going on previous experience, new cars are never quite as bad in the flesh as they appear in spy shots etc, but I don't think it will do VW any favours to ramp up anticipation amongst the Twitteratti. The image in my head is that of a gorgeous-looking young mother waking up in the maternity ward and being presented by a smiling midwife with something that looks like a miniature version of Wayne Rooney.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Martin2 said:

Unless it’s a lot heavier, 316hp will be fine and they’re changing the 4WD system which could well make it even better to drive which is more important than a few extra horses.

 

But while the basic powertrain isn’t particularly different to that of the previous model, its all-wheel-drive system is due a bigger upgrade with the implementation of a clutch pack on the rear drive unit, giving the next Golf R the availability to power torque vector between the rear wheels.

This type of rear clutch pack, as first seen in a European hot hatchback on the Mk4 Ford Focus RS, increases the flexibility of an all-wheel-drive car’s power delivery, in the process allowing for more direct control of the power split. This represents a big shift from the early Haldex all-wheel-drive systems seen on early Golf Rs and Audi S3s, which should make the next Golf R more entertaining on road and track than previous models.

 

Yes based on the fact the 1700kg Tigan R with the same power output engine is pulling 0-60 in 4.4s, I'm sure a 1500kg Golf should be nearer 4.0s dead.

Bearing in mind that 200kg difference is the weight of 2 x 16 stone people.

 

image.thumb.png.07d2de01706426a3499a08bd2e1a045f.png

 

Full vid..........

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQCxoha___k

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dopper99 said:

 

Yes based on the fact the 1700kg Tigan R with the same power output engine is pulling 0-60 in 4.4s, I'm sure a 1500kg Golf should be nearer 4.0s dead.

Bearing in mind that 200kg difference is the weight of 2 x 16 stone people.

 

image.thumb.png.07d2de01706426a3499a08bd2e1a045f.png

 

Full vid..........

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQCxoha___k

 

 

Indicated speed / calculated acceleration is not comparable to anything but itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, blower said:

Indicated speed / calculated acceleration is not comparable to anything but itself.

 

It will be interesting to see what results independent testers get from regular production Tiguan Rs (and then for Mk 8 Golf Rs).  Anything we see that came from VW has been through a thorough PR (ie BS) process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, camelsac2002 said:

316 BHP? Pfffftt. I’m struggling to see anything to make me want this car. Power increase is negligible, questionable looks, stupid tech, no three door or manual - what’s the point? I read somewhere about VW’s supposed financial woes and this would seem to back it up - they’ve not really gone to town on it have they? I think they’ve lost the plot tbh.

What Camel said x 1,000....:ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont think we can get too hung up on headline peak bhp figures. Most know there is a lot more to it than that - such as improving the area under the graph on a bhp/torque graph. As well as other technical/mechanical/electrical trickery that can done to improve performance these days.

 

For example, I think Mat Watson from carwow said the new S3 feels noticeably quicker/stronger in performance than the old model and it has the same peak bhp figure as the old car.

 

It's never going to be an RS3 killer, but it should feel noticeably quicker than the Mk7/7.5. But lets wait and see.

 

Besides, VW are going to look stupid if Mat Watson will be putting in times the same or slower than the new S3. They know full well journos such as him will be testing it and measuring the performance and comparing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My interest will be to see the launch Price of the base Mk8 R - £39,995?

 

With Options, this could well end up being a £45k Golf (although the Mk7.5 was too). 

 

Interesting times. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TP27 said:

My interest will be to see the launch Price of the base Mk8 R - £39,995?

 

With Options, this could well end up being a £45k Golf (although the Mk7.5 was too). 

 

Interesting times. 👍

 

If the Mk7.5 had the potential to be a £45K with options, the Mk8 could be nearly £50k! 😵 That would be ludicrous and opens far more choices of other cars at that price point (albeit with less options to match the price like for like).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dopper99 said:

 

If the Mk7.5 had the potential to be a £45K with options, the Mk8 could be nearly £50k! 😵 That would be ludicrous and opens far more choices of other cars at that price point (albeit with less options to match the price like for like).

If you kept on ticking boxes £50k came near. eg. Performance Pack, Akrapovic Exhaust, Upgrade Nav, Sun roof..,😳

Hands up who spent time in the Car Configurator😂

Edited by NRW
Akra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...