AndyR

Mk8 VW Golf R Reveal - 4 Nov

No I won't, just doesn't do it for me. I'm looking at getting a T7 when they come out, I might just run the Estate into the ground as even after two and half years I still love it. If they change the front end at some point I may take a look but I have to like how a car looks to buy it. The Mk8 is a ten pinter for sure, but I can't drink that every time I want to go for a spin 🤣

I much prefer the new A3 so that might be an option if I do change the Wagon when the Bus arrives in a few years.

The thing is, it’s not just the looks they’ve screwed, that may grow on people in time. There are other big issues such as the usability of the car in general, eg adjustment of air con and other controls.  Then the quality of the interior that some have noted. 

too much to put too many people off at the moment. The only saving grace of the new R is if it drives bloody brilliant enough to make people overlook the above. But that remains to be seen. 

if it’s just another generic “300odd bhp 4wd hot hatch” in terms of the way it drives, there are plenty more choices out there. 

17 hours ago, DustyBones said:

I personally think that regardless of the general flaming that so far the Mk8 seems to have received.  It will still sell very well and many will ultimately trade their current R for a new one at somepoint.  

You’re probably right and hopefully the new to the R owners will join the forum despite all the negativity....!

Some years ago I had a mk1 Ford Kuga and was active on the Kuga forum. All was well on the forum until the mk2 Kuga was announced. Everyone hated It! They moaned and groaned about the changes to the styling and the loss of the split tailgate.

There were a lot of regular contributors who swore blind that they would be keeping their cherished mk1 cars for years and that you would never see them in a mk2.

I recently revisited the forum and guess what.....

Most of the vociferous mk2 haters now had mk2s and were railing against the mk3!

In general people don't like change so I'm not surprised to see the comments about the mk8 golf r

It will be interesting to see in a few years who has made the change. 🙂

Yes, yes I know the Yaris is an old gits car, I even had one to get back driving after my stroke, but this could be a bundle of fun.

https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/gr-yaris/build?path=summary/50c3964d-693e-494e-8bd4-abcc5ef12acd/9b00e6b0-94a8-4dcb-98ed-b9fbbe5f334a&c=3c596520-c213-410a-b136-d62cc1acf11d&u=f0784e31-d53f-4f7e-b42d-f70b362ae14f&financeOption=monthly

It's a 3 door as well

Runs for cover with tin hat.

35 minutes ago, Dollyman said:

Yes, yes I know the Yaris is an old gits car, I even had one to get back driving after my stroke, but this could be a bundle of fun.

https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/gr-yaris/build?path=summary/50c3964d-693e-494e-8bd4-abcc5ef12acd/9b00e6b0-94a8-4dcb-98ed-b9fbbe5f334a&c=3c596520-c213-410a-b136-d62cc1acf11d&u=f0784e31-d53f-4f7e-b42d-f70b362ae14f&financeOption=monthly

It's a 3 door as well

Runs for cover with tin hat.

I don't think too many old gits will be forking out the money needed to get into a GR Yaris, but I agree, it looks like it could be fun in the right circumstances (so no tin hat or teflon-coated cast-iron undies needed).

Just for the hell of it I'm going to have a look.

On the spec it says:-

GR FOUR 4WD switch

Not sure what that means, is it not intelligent FWD like Haldex or do you have to select 4WD manually?

Sorry, thread going slightly off topic.

When we said we like the fact that the Golf 7R is a bit of a sleeper, we didn't mean make the front of the mk8R look like the car is drifting off to sleep! 😆

58 minutes ago, Dollyman said:

GR FOUR 4WD switch

Not sure what that means, is it not intelligent FWD like Haldex or do you have to select 4WD manually?

Take it for a test drive and feedback.  Be interesting to hear. :)

1 hour ago, Dollyman said:

GR FOUR 4WD switch

Existing thread above, but in answer to your question, I think Toyota's new 4WD system is a fair bit cleverer (and lighter) than the now somewhat old fashioned Haldex-type system, and its been designed very much as a WRC car. Its permanent and automatic (power is shuffled around to each wheel individually), but you can apparently select the front/rear split. Should be a hoot to drive.

From recent AutoCar review: 

The engine is coupled to a six-speed manual gearbox – there’s no automatic, both to save weight and because a manual makes it more fun to drive – with power sent to all four wheels. Unusually, the car’s GR-4 AWD system doesn’t feature a centre differential (too heavy), instead using a high-performance coupling in front of the rear axle to control power to the rear wheels. Drivers can choose from three settings: Normal (60:40 front to rear), Sport (30:70) and Track (50:50).

I can't find anything I like about the MK8, but here's a real killer: pick up a mug of coffee and then open the bonnet without putting it down or spilling any. I can't remember far enough back in time to a car that needed a dangly bit of metal to prop the bonnet open. Probably to some crap company car 30+ years ago. Cheap, or what?

25 minutes ago, Chris7.5R said:

I can't find anything I like about the MK8, but here's a real killer: pick up a mug of coffee and then open the bonnet without putting it down or spilling any. I can't remember far enough back in time to a car that needed a dangly bit of metal to prop the bonnet open. Probably to some crap company car 30+ years ago. Cheap, or what?

VAG have been doing it a bit more recently than 30+ years ago:  Both my 2006 T5 and 2008 vRS have manual bonnet stays.  Doesn't worry me too much either way.

Take it for a test drive and feedback.  Be interesting to hear. 

Just reading Philc22s post and realised it’s manual only so that’s no good for me with dodgy left leg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk