goodbadboy

What was the first?

What was the first bit of music (LP / Tape /CD / other) you ever bought with your own money?.....I was just watching some 80's music hits on the Telly and this question popped into my head...:lol:

Mine was an EP of "You spin me round" by Dead or Alive....:)

And yours?....:azn:

I can’t remember exactly which was the very first (vinyl) album I bought, but it was either Hunky Dory or Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie (not bought at time of release but in late 70s).  Interest triggered by having listened to some of my older sisters’ albums of his and wanting to explore his music.  Have been revisiting some of that music recently. 

The first single I ever remember hearing (as a very little kid), was Puff the Magic Dragon (Peter, Paul and Mary) which my mum used to play to me. 🌈 

Reflecting on my nerdy youth, it had to be something classical.  Mid-'60s in college I discovered Nonesuch Records, a discount US brand originally specializing in music written prior to 1800.  I remember being enraptured by their recording containing Johann Pachelbel's Canon in D-major.  The piece later gained unlikely popularity.  It went through an unfortunate stream of "contemporary" arrangements, including elevator music, and was sometimes referred to as the Yuppie National Anthem.  Any other early music fans in this forum?