NRW

Mk8 R. If Not, then What?

No lovely pics or links to great vids, sorry.  I know we all reserve final judgement until we’ve seen it on Release Day, but there doesn’t seem to be alternatives that jump out to go to after an R.  (Apart from A35, M135i, S3, Cupra Leon, other R’s..😂)

Personally I suspect my next buy, not for a few years yet, will be an Estate/Wagon/Hearse/Combi.
The Focus ST 2.3 Ecoboost Auto looks interesting with 280Ps - admittedly front drive only, but they seem to go quite well...or have I been gazing at my screen  for too long??😂

Me, I want a small estate so when it comes to changing I'll look around and see what's what. Mid-size estates don't really float my boat, so the 3 Series, A4, C aren't really up there, though the C43 might.

If there aren't any small estates, I'll miss out the mid size and go back for a big one and probably go back to a 5 Series. Quite like an Alpina!

10 minutes ago, Charles M said:

Me, I want a small estate so when it comes to changing I'll look around and see what's what. Mid-size estates don't really float my boat, so the 3 Series, A4, C aren't really up there, though the C43 might.

If there aren't any small estates, I'll miss out the mid size and go back for a big one and probably go back to a 5 Series. Quite like an Alpina!

Not much to dislike with an Alpina. Any Alpina😂.   But the larger cars seem Massive, too big for me and what I do.  I try to like a C63 Wagon locally, and my brothers A6 Avant Quattro, but whopping lump to push about.   Nowt R size!

25 minutes ago, SillyOldHector said:

Jumping ship to a M2 Comp.  Ugly as sin, RWD only, less doors, no hatch, but 6cyl.

Just come back from a drive in the R and I’m sure I’ll miss it in the deep of winter.

Being Near Newcastle I’ll qualify as a Southerner to you Philip.  Don’t think anybody could dispute your need for Winter kit.   M2Comp all about driving....practicality be damned? 😀

I'll keep the MK7 for a few more years at least, then look at the T7 Combi and get it converted to a camper for family duties. I may chop the estate and get a newer A3 Saloon but I doubt it would be an S3 version but you never know.  

47 minutes ago, NRW said:

Being Near Newcastle I’ll qualify as a Southerner to you Philip.  Don’t think anybody could dispute your need for Winter kit.   M2Comp all about driving....practicality be damned? 😀

Will miss the heated screen, but gain a heated wheel 🙄.  I can drop the back seats from inside the boot 🚴‍♂️

Wanted to go 6cyl before ICEs are banned and not ready for electric - I think H2 will be the way to go for longer distances.

Will be back at some point, as the R is so much my kinda car.

20 hours ago, NRW said:

No lovely pics or links to great vids, sorry.  I know we all reserve final judgement until we’ve seen it on Release Day, but there doesn’t seem to be alternatives that jump out to go to after an R.  (Apart from A35, M135i, S3, Cupra Leon, other R’s..😂)

Personally I suspect my next buy, not for a few years yet, will be an Estate/Wagon/Hearse/Combi.
The Focus ST 2.3 Ecoboost Auto looks interesting with 280Ps - admittedly front drive only, but they seem to go quite well...or have I been gazing at my screen  for too long??😂

Audi RS3 for me...or Mercedes A45...:ph34r:

MK7 for at least another year, maybe two, then ......  Not sure.  I've loved the outstanding performance of the R but maybe time to get something different.

Maybe a battery powered car (id3 looks interesting if they give it an AWD version and address the cockpit criticisms, not to mention debugging all their systems ......) but I've been thinking about getting a campervan like a California or Marco Polo next.  I don't see myself doing as much day to day motoring and it would be great to have something that I could go for holidays/weekends away in that could double as a daily drive or a very practical cargo transporter when needed.

Definitely not a Mk8 R though, unless they really improve it inside and out, as well as give it more performance.