NRW

Mk8 R. If Not, then What?

17 hours ago, LUG said:

Honestly by the time it comes round to upgrading from "needing" to rather than "wanting" to, I'll probably bite the bullet and go electric. I tend to keep my cars a long time and look after them as I love my Golf's but I cant see the MK8 pushing me to indulge and purchase one sooner than needed so ill hang on to the 7.5 until its time to move with the times and go electric. Im sure electric infrustructure for refuelling and prices will have come down to sensible levels by then. 

Thinking along the same lines. R my last petrol.

I agree about the sound.
I've not heard an M2 Comp but I had an F80 M3 with the same S55 engine and that didnt sound the best. Was one of the contributing factors that made me sell it. Not a pleasant sound at all.

I really wanted it to be better in person cf videos on YouTube etc but it really wasn’t good.

The non comp sounded better.

Had it sounded better I would have had one by now as I think they look great (I like them in orange).

10 hours ago, gregozedobe said:

I think charging infrastructure will improve a lot over time, but when electric cars become common I expect govts will have figured out how to gouge money from electric cars like they currently (pun intended) raise revenue from for petrol & diesel vehicles.  Maybe a usage charge based on weight & distance covered, with a congestion surcharge (depending on location & time) for good measure.

Benjamin Franklin:  " .....in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes".

The government will surely just add Fuel duty tax to the electricity consumption OR add more to road tax (VED).

Where as automative companies like Tesla is going to try and draw people in to a subscription service for their Full Self Drive services going in to the future.

The more technological and digital our cars become, the more companies can Turn On and Off features and add subscription style costs to them.

Its actually a bleak future for the car enthusiast in my opinion 🙁

Hanging on to my environmentally disastrous and politically incorrect old Triumphs is getting more attractive by the day but knowing my luck some jobsworth will decide to ban 99 RON that they consume.

57 minutes ago, Dollyman said:

Hanging on to my environmentally disastrous and politically incorrect old Triumphs is getting more attractive by the day but knowing my luck some jobsworth will decide to ban 99 RON that they consume.

Better start stocking up on Octane Booster some time soon. 
Be Prepared!😂😂

14 hours ago, LUG said:

The government will surely just add Fuel duty tax to the electricity consumption OR add more to road tax (VED).

Where as automative companies like Tesla is going to try and draw people in to a subscription service for their Full Self Drive services going in to the future.

The more technological and digital our cars become, the more companies can Turn On and Off features and add subscription style costs to them.

Its actually a bleak future for the car enthusiast in my opinion 🙁

I doubt that method would work here in Oz, so many people have solar panels on their roofs they could charge up their cars from their own panels (and more and more are getting batteries, and that trend will accelerate when battery prices drop like solar panels have).  But govts WILL have their money, one way or another ....

On 24/10/2020 at 19:28, LUG said:

Honestly by the time it comes round to upgrading from "needing" to rather than "wanting" to, I'll probably bite the bullet and go electric

I have been thinking along these lines for a while. Depending on Covid/Brexit and their effect over the next 6-9 months, I may be able to get a company car. If so, an ID.3 with biggest battery, or something similar would suit me brilliantly and leave room for something light weight and exciting ('weekend car') in the garage.

It needs to be able to do about 260 miles in the real world on a charge. Then I would never need a public charging station. Well, maybe once a year. Let's face it, the infrastructure in the UK is miserable and falling further behind with every BEV that's sold.

13 minutes ago, JonSW said:

260 miles

Good point, come to think of it. That’s more than some fellow R owners get on a tank of V Power. 

8 minutes ago, NRW said:

Good point, come to think of it. That’s more than some fellow R owners get on a tank of V Power. 

🤣

I usually get 400 miles a tank, leaving a sensible reserve. I've averaged 35.5mpg since buying it and am presently averaging 37mpg. Please don't ask why I have a spreadsheet that works this crap out. I've done it for years and can't break the habit 🙄

I'm on the motorway a lot, don't like 'racing' people and get precious few opportunities to push the car. As I said earlier in the thread, I love it, I wanted one since the minute EVO mag told me there would be an estate version but, 99% of the time, it's wasted on me and may as well be a 1.5 TSi with LED headlights ... If my regular drives took me across Exmoor or similar, the mpg figures would probably not look quite as good.

For more embarrassment, the Bridgestones had plenty of tread left after 25,000 miles (about 3-4mm on all 4) but I changed to PS4 due tyre noise. I bet many owners need to change every 10K miles!

I'll fetch me coat ...

On 26/10/2020 at 10:27, JonSW said:

🤣

I usually get 400 miles a tank, leaving a sensible reserve. I've averaged 35.5mpg since buying it and am presently averaging 37mpg. Please don't ask why I have a spreadsheet that works this crap out. I've done it for years and can't break the habit 🙄

I'm on the motorway a lot, don't like 'racing' people and get precious few opportunities to push the car. As I said earlier in the thread, I love it, I wanted one since the minute EVO mag told me there would be an estate version but, 99% of the time, it's wasted on me and may as well be a 1.5 TSi with LED headlights ... If my regular drives took me across Exmoor or similar, the mpg figures would probably not look quite as good.

For more embarrassment, the Bridgestones had plenty of tread left after 25,000 miles (about 3-4mm on all 4) but I changed to PS4 due tyre noise. I bet many owners need to change every 10K miles!

I'll fetch me coat ...

If I am honest - pretty much like me! 🤣

my mpg isn't quite as good as yours, eco mode is fine on the motorway - maybe I should stop right now and hand my VWR card in......

Although hopefully - fingers crossed - next year will have a epic road trip planned, monaco, alps, german alpine route, stop of at BMW museum and home all being well, possibly if I can fit it in - a trip to romania for driving the Transfăgărășean road

M2 comp for me - collect it on Saturday.. had one of the original m2’s good car - the comp even better.

Sadly for me I did not gel with a golf R. I had a mk7.5 for the grand total of a a week before deciding it would be a great daily but for “fun factor” it got the big thumbs down.

M2 comp for me - collect it on Saturday.. had one of the original m2’s good car - the comp even better.

Sadly for me I did not gel with a golf R. I had a mk7.5 for the grand total of a a week before deciding it would be a great daily but for “fun factor” it got the big thumbs down.

The R is the perfect daily, spot on.

On the correct roads it most certainly does have a fun factor too!!

M2 is a different car with a focus more on just fun at the compromise of daily duties so sounds like you got the wrong car when giving the R a try.

Enjoy the m2

The R is the perfect daily, spot on.

On the correct roads it most certainly does have a fun factor too!!

M2 is a different car with a focus more on just fun at the compromise of daily duties so sounds like you got the wrong car when giving the R a try.

Enjoy the m2

Thank you , yes I agree, wrong car for my requirement but would definitely consider another one if I required a good all round daily driver. Fortunately I have a works vehicle for the daily commute /duties and have the luxury of being able to have a “weekend toy”.

Thank you , yes I agree, wrong car for my requirement but would definitely consider another one if I required a good all round daily driver. Fortunately I have a works vehicle for the daily commute /duties and have the luxury of being able to have a “weekend toy”.

M2 sounds a good choice for that purpose for sure. You consider anything else as an alternative? In a position where I will not need a daily so considering whether to swap the R out, just struggling to find something that’s worth a move...