Sign in to follow this  
elliottsmith

Rounded car key screw

Hi guys,

The buttons on my car key have become quite perished/squashed so I was going to replace the key case. I have ordered the replacement key casing however the screw that holds in the metal part on the bottom (the part that says R) is rounded, it appears the previous owner must have attempted this and rounded it. 

I assume that screw extractors or similar aren’t available in such a small size, so has anyone got ideas about how I can remove this?

Thanks

It’s a Torx headed screw that’s used to attach the metal end cap to the key fob, and a small Torx headed screw  can give the appearance of being a conventional star / phillips headed screw that’s been rounded off by someone attempting (and failing) to successfully remove it. 

You need a Torx headed screwdriver bit - size T7 - to remove the metal end cap from the key fob - like this one; 

99DDD00C-6FA9-4A7D-A439-7FB7DFDD750D.jpeg

10 hours ago, R_wannabe_owner said:

It’s a Torx headed screw that’s used to attach the metal end cap to the key fob, and a small Torx headed screw  can give the appearance of being a conventional star / phillips headed screw that’s been rounded off by someone attempting (and failing) to successfully remove it. 

You need a Torx headed screwdriver bit - size T7 - to remove the metal end cap from the key fob - like this one; 

99DDD00C-6FA9-4A7D-A439-7FB7DFDD750D.jpeg

Thanks for the response - this solved my issue! You were right, wasn’t rounded at all just needed a T6 screwdriver. Now have replaced all the perished buttons. Thanks again

1 hour ago, Andygo said:

£20 for a new screw? Thats mental. Look online, they wont be anything special, you will prolly get about 10 for 50p, lol.

Agreed, wouldn’t pay £20 for that bottom metal part and the screw as it will likely just scratch again haha. Was the rest of the key casing I was replacing (buttons and plastic casing etc.) which was around £5 on eBay. Small price to pay to have proper buttons now as the previous ones were all squashed!