gregozedobe

Ads, Ads & more ads (with distracting active content)

Today for the first time I'm being bombarded with lots distracting ads on VWROC.  And to add to the torture they have moving content & lots of irritating colour changes (I know the advertisers are trying to attract my attention, but all they succeed in doing is pissing me off). 

I know VWROC relies on ads for income, but these are a PITA and I will either re-enable my ad-blocker or I'll be visiting a lot less.

Is this happening to anyone else ?

Edit:  Sorry, but the ads were so intrusive I couldn't stand it for more than a couple of minutes, ABP is now back on gate-keeping duties .....

12 minutes ago, gregozedobe said:

Today for the first time I'm being bombarded with lots distracting ads on VWROC.  And to add to the torture they have moving content & lots of irritating colour changes (I know the advertisers are trying to attract my attention, but all they succeed in doing is pissing me off). 

I know VWROC relies on ads for income, but these are a PITA and I will either re-enable my ad-blocker or I'll be visiting a lot less.

Is this happening to anyone else ?

Edit:  Sorry, but the ads were so intrusive I couldn't stand it for more than a couple of minutes, ABP is now back on gate-keeping duties .....

Thanks for reporting Greg.  I’ve not noticed this myself but then not been on much today as yet.   I’m sure @invisiblekid will look into it and see if anything can be done.  Screenshots are often helpful so if you get a chance perhaps you can grab a few. 

21 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Thanks for reporting Greg.  I’ve not noticed this myself but then not been on much today as yet.   I’m sure @invisiblekid will look into it and see if anything can be done.  Screenshots are often helpful so if you get a chance perhaps you can grab a few. 

No worries Bec, I've pasted some screenshots into a word document so I can email them if wanted.  

Edit:  Hmmm, it might be me, not VWROC.  I'm getting lots of ads on my other regular forum too ...

35 minutes ago, gregozedobe said:

No worries Bec, I've pasted some screenshots into a word document so I can email them if wanted.  

Edit:  Hmmm, it might be me, not VWROC.  I'm getting lots of ads on my other regular forum too ...

Thanks Greg for the update. Does sound perhaps not a vwroc issue you’re experiencing.  Still annoying I can imagine. I’ve had a few visits here now and not getting anything other than the usual types of adverts and as yet, no reports from others. In a wider context, I’m sure you’ve done all the usual things like deleting your browsing history and clearing cookies etc which may improve the situation?  Keep us updated if you do think it’s a vwroc thing. 

Thanks for reporting @gregozedobe. We haven't made any changes to the ads in a long time. Actually, the last time was when Google implemented auto-ads which placed adverts wherever Google believed was the more prominent position.

I'm certainly not seeing anything over and above what we have run for the past 12 months or so.

If anyone is seeing these ads, please screenshot and I'll investigate. It may be a rogue advert or something. 

We can't scale back anymore, because given the state of ad revenues at the moment, we would run at a loss if we did 😕

Hmm, it was google ads pushing everything everywhere, but I just now turned my adblocker off for this site and it seems to be back to a reasonable level, so I'll leave it at that for now. 

I do have a couple of screenshots that I took when they were being particularly annoying.  If you want them pm me the email address you want them sent to.

9 hours ago, gregozedobe said:

Hmm, it was google ads pushing everything everywhere, but I just now turned my adblocker off for this site and it seems to be back to a reasonable level, so I'll leave it at that for now. 

I do have a couple of screenshots that I took when they were being particularly annoying.  If you want them pm me the email address you want them sent to.

PM the screenshots over to me please mate and I’ll take a look. The last thing we want is to put people off visiting or encourage the use of adblockers.

Sadly the use of adblockers will kill sites like ours. I can see why people use them when you visit newspaper websites and such like. Their use of ads is horrific.