DRK

Hi all!

Hi all, I’ve been planning to get a golf r for quite a while now. Finally in a situation where I can. Problem is it’s so hard to find in the spec that I want. 
Doing some research led me to this forum and I’ve come to a he conclusion that I should steer clear of 14 plates because of possible turbo issues. So is 64 plate plus a good place to start? 
the only two things that I’m set on are is I want a black r and leather seats the rest does not really matter for me. 
I have found a few in the spec I’m after however either it’s like 5 hours drive away or out of my budget. I’ve been looking non stop for the past month using autotrader, gumtree, Shpock and eBay is there anywhere else you guys would suggest I take a look? 

my plan once I’ve got her is res delete, stage 1 ecu and tcu. Also de chrome everything and tints all round. A year later stage 2 and I plan on keeping it a few years. 

The other option I’m thinking about is an Audi s4 2012+ but I’ve heard they have some transmission issues which can be quite pricey to repair. 

thanks and great to be here 

Just now, MikeBuzz said:

It’s worth checking the UK Golf R Facebook group, there are a few there..

I don’t have Facebook though so that’s not a option. Unless it’s a public group? 

I don’t have Facebook though so that’s not a option. Unless it’s a public group? 
You'll need a Facebook account and you'll need to join the group/s. To be honest, I'd steer clear of the cars for sale on there. The majority are young lads who've modded and ragged the cars silly.

---------------------------------------------
Come on, get up. Let me see your bruises.

3 minutes ago, Matt7R said:

You'll need a Facebook account and you'll need to join the group/s. To be honest, I'd steer clear of the cars for sale on there. The majority are young lads who've modded and ragged the cars silly.

Actually Matt I also wanted to ask is there anyway you can tell if a car is mapped or not?

Stage 2’s will be obvious either a exhaust or extras under the bonnet intake, intercooler etc but what about if it’s a stage 1. 
say if I do end up with a mapped one when going to get my stage 1 of choice is it a easy job for say r-tech, revo or apr to overwrite? 

Only way to tell is either put it on a dyno, or get a garage to check the ECU.

It's easy for them to overwrite an existing map with a new one

The last time I got a car remapped was on my mk5 gti and that was done by r-tech. 
what’s the go to place now days or is Nick still the best at what he does? 

Honestly never been so desperate to get a car. It’s the first time in 10 years that I don’t have a car and it’s been a month I’ve been looking like crazy. 
car=freedom

Welcome to VWROC DRK.

:welcome:

I hope you have some success in tracking down a suitable R.  There were early turbo issues but a few revisions since then.  

From time to time they come up for sale on here in our Classifieds section, with forum members selling their cars.  And people on here are usually upfront about what they’ve done to their cars, mapping etc.  You can view the Cars for Sale section now but you’ll need 25 posts to be able to view all the categories and respond to adverts, so if you participate then you’ll soon get to that.  https://www.vwroc.com/forums/classifieds/

Best of luck with the search. 

1 hour ago, Booth11 said:

Welcome to VWROC DRK.

:welcome:

I hope you have some success in tracking down a suitable R.  There were early turbo issues but a few revisions since then.  

From time to time they come up for sale on here in our Classifieds section, with forum members selling their cars.  And people on here are usually upfront about what they’ve done to their cars, mapping etc.  You can view the Cars for Sale section now but you’ll need 25 posts to be able to view all the categories and respond to adverts, so if you participate then you’ll soon get to that.  https://www.vwroc.com/forums/classifieds/

Best of luck with the search. 

Yeah been checking on the classifieds here also. The first week of searching for a car was fun and all but now it’s been over a month and it’s getting frustrating starting to lean towards other cars saying maybe s4 wouldn’t be too bad but when I think of the fun I had in my gti I quickly change my mind back to the r. That’s all I need now. 
Hope to be in one soon. 

2 hours ago, DRK said:

Yeah been checking on the classifieds here also. The first week of searching for a car was fun and all but now it’s been over a month and it’s getting frustrating starting to lean towards other cars saying maybe s4 wouldn’t be too bad but when I think of the fun I had in my gti I quickly change my mind back to the r. That’s all I need now. 
Hope to be in one soon. 

Keep the faith, an R with your name on it will turn up, I very much hope anyway.  

53 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Keep the faith, an R with your name on it will turn up, I very much hope anyway.  

Just saw your r it’s exactly what I need plus more lol. How’s that going for you it’s been 5-6 years you’ve had her now?

On 04/11/2020 at 21:24, DRK said:

Just saw your r it’s exactly what I need plus more lol. How’s that going for you it’s been 5-6 years you’ve had her now?

Haha!  Thank you. 

It’s going great, thanks. Had her from new just a few months over 5 years now and longest I’ve ever kept a car which speaks for itself.  Best car I’ve had to date and still love every mile in it.  I’ve been possibly lucky in that no major issues aside from a dud battery replaced under warranty, and most recently the common coolant leak so new water pump/thermo housing replaced under extended warranty, but otherwise all good.  Great car!  And I still love the look of the pre facelift original mk7 in particular.  Every day I see those analogue dials makes me smile, especially knowing they are becoming a relic!  

With the mk7 (as opposed to the 7.5), if your budget can stretch look at MY16 (late 15 plate or 65 plate) cars which have the second gen MIB2 infotainment system. 

On 04/11/2020 at 23:00, Booth11 said:

Haha!  Thank you. 

It’s going great, thanks. Had her from new just a few months over 5 years now and longest I’ve ever kept a car which speaks for itself.  Best car I’ve had to date and still love every mile in it.  I’ve been possibly lucky in that no major issues aside from a dud battery replaced under warranty, and most recently the common coolant leak so new water pump/thermo housing replaced under extended warranty, but otherwise all good.  Great car!  And I still love the look of the pre facelift original mk7 in particular.  Every day I see those analogue dials makes me smile, especially knowing they are becoming a relic!  

With the mk7 (as opposed to the 7.5), if your budget can stretch look at MY16 (late 15 plate or 65 plate) cars which have the second gen MIB2 infotainment system. 

Yeah I really do want apple car play I just love having my Waze open on my phone even if I know the route I’d like to know where all the speed cams are. If I get a earlier 64 or 15 plate I will look into getting it fitted. 

I can extend my budget more but I’ve never purchased anything over £9k and I always prefer to pay it out instead of going the finance route not saying I’m right but I just love that peace of mind that if all hell breaks lose and I’m not earning as much I can still keep the car. So this will be my biggest purchase. And like you I want to keep this car for a long time so I’m trying to make sure I get the spec that’s going to keep me happy for years to come. 

Which performance mods have you done?